New to cruising- excursion advice?

Ronathan

My wife and I are going on our first cruise together. We are taking a 7 night to Mahogany bay, Belize, and Cozumel. What are your recommendations for these 3 ports? We want to do some excursions, 1 each if we can get it cheap enough and it's would be worth it.

Go to the ports of call section on cruise critic and do a search for each of the ports for many different recommendations. All of your ports would be OK to choose private tours instead of the ship ones since you can usually get smaller groups and better prices. In Belize, cave tubing is a popular tour. In Cozumel, Nachi Cocom is an all inclusive beach day for 60 bucks that is great.

It would be easier to make recommendations if you shared thing you enjoy. For example, SNJCruisers suggested Nachi Cocum. I personal love going there but it is an all inclusive so if you don't drink I might suggest a different destination. Cave-tubing is a first time cruisers right of passage in Belize. But if you have a bad knee like I do, the walk and day after pain isn't worth it anymore. Many of the cruise ports have historical ruins within travel distance. But if you don't enjoy history and culture then it will be a long boring bus trip followed by more lectures and walking around. So you can see why sharing some of your likes and dislikes would help with the suggestions.

If you like the beach, in Mahogany Bay I'd just ride the ski lift to the beach + spend the day. No excursion needed. In Coz, take a taxi to Chankanaab Park, no excursion needed. Belize, most popular excursion is cave tubing. Myself, in that port, I'd book thru the ship. Be careful wonderin around Belize on your own.

Highly recommend Salsa, Salsa and Margaritas through Carnival in Cozumel. It was just my daughter and I during this cruise and didn't want to be too adventurous this time. One of the best I've been on. Other times have swam with dolphins at Chankanaab and went to Paradise Beach.

In Belize, cave tubing is a must if you've never been there before. We did a private tour because at that time Carnival wasn't doing it.

Mahogany Bay has a nice free beach. We have done the ziplines right there and excursions through Victor Bodden.

Have fun choosing!

Belize is a tender port. Meaning the ship anchors out aways and you take a smaller boat to the shore. Not much but shopping in the secure area. This would be one to do and excursion. Easier through the ship because you will meet on ship and stay together through tendering and the excursion. But many do a private tour by tendering then meeting the tour outside the gates.

Mahogany Bay has a great secured beach in site of the ship.

Cozumel is definitely worth researching on the ports of call page. Lots to do there depending on your preferences.

Se notes below next to each port:

My wife and I are going on our first cruise together. We are taking a 7 night to Mahogany bay, - contact Victor Bodden tours for amazing customized private tours at an unbelievably affordable price. Otherwise consider it a beach day, pay or don't pay for the ski lift option over to Carnival's private beach right at the port, it is only a 5-10 minute difference than walking there.

Belize, - Stick with excursions purchased through the cruise line. This is a tender port, meaning you will take a small ferry from your ship which will be anchored beyond the reef, and depending on your arrival time the transit could be 25 minutes for the closest anchored ship to 45 minutes for the furthest. Passengers with excursions scheduled through the cruise line get the highest priority for seats on the tenders, even before Diamond, Platinum, and FttF passengers. Otherwise research several independent tours and tour companies before boarding and once you get to the secure port area (sometimes it takes 2 hours or more for a general tender ticket # to be called) find their rep to see what tours will still fit the time you have in this port. DO NOT leave the secure port area unless with a tour guide or knowledgeable about how to handle yourself here (it is very economically depressed country once outside the walls of the port area, and without a local "friend" others will look to take advantage).

and Cozumel. - A great port to venture out on your own as long as not leaving this island for the ruins on the mainland, just Google "things to do Cozumel". Several eco-parks and resorts with day passes ranging from a la carte to fully inclusive. Many trusted tour reps available at the dock for last minute tours if you don't have something arranged in advance. If looking for shopping this is the port that I would do the bulk of my buying at both in the recommended area and in the town proper. If looking to go to the ruins just because of the transit time factor (2-3.5 hours each way) I would book through the cruise line just to get their The Ship Will Wait for an excursion it sold guarantee.

What are your recommendations for these 3 ports? We want to do some excursions, 1 each if we can get it cheap enough and it's would be worth it.

Roatan - I also second a private tour with Bodden or Island Marketing. You miss SOOO much by not getting out and seeing this beautiful island. You can be back in time for a few hours at the free beach if you want but West Bay is lovely with great free snorkeling from shore if you want to add that to your tour!

Belize- agree that pick something here that appeals to your through the cruise line. This is really a water activity port and a great place for snorkeling. If you want to go cultural, Altun Ha and River Wallace was one of the best excursions we have ever done.

Cozumel - this is where I would cut my costs in favor of the other two. Money Bar is just a short taxi ride from the pier. They have a small beach on the rocky reef and decent snorkeling from shore. If I remember you can reserve chairs in advance. Plenty of sun or shade as you like it. $5 drinks and plenty of decent food to snack on - spend as much or as little as you like; it won't cost you a bit except a few $ for the tax drive and whatever you eat and drink. A very relaxing day.

You can get the best prices on excursions if you book them on your own, rather than through the ship for sure.

Cozumel has the best beaches and great deals on all inclusive if you want to hang on the beach at a resort for the day. You can find some great deals at Cozumel Cruise Excursions . com

Belize has great options too, we've been a few times and cave tubing is cool, so are the ruins but we really loved Goff's Caye for beach and snorkeling... its cheap too so a great deal https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/excursion/sun-kissed-goffs-caye-beach-snorkeling-belize/

Roatan we did the Wild On Roatan tour, really cool way to see the island and the wild life there. Again, the price was good there

Mr Sanchos is a great bargain in Cozumel. You can pay 50 or $55 And it's all the food and all the drinks and the beach you can handle. If you make it there,try the coconut shrimp.They are excellent. They're jumbo and they keep bringing them to you, as many as you can eat. You have to pay for your own ride to get there. The lines can be painfully long waiting for a cab. So we always go out to the main street and walk down the block or so and get our own cab. I don't think there's a better bargain out there.

Mahogany Bay is not a bad deal you could book that through Carnival. And just come and go off the ship as you please all day.

Belize takes planning. Lots of planning. We don't go on the mainland we just go out for snorkeling to Cay Caulker. You have to catch a ferry ride out there. It's 45 minutes one way and 45 minutes back. But if you plan just right,you can have the time of your life, snorkeling out there on the reef. We always book through Caveman Snorkeling.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using speech to text

welcome to cruise critic and your first cruise, you mention excursions so i would look at carnival sponsored excursions since it is your first cruise you do not want to miss the ship if you pick the wrong outside company. Once you have decided on what cruises to take look them up on youtube. I would recommend excursions that will be memorable to you being your first cruise. My Dw and I still talk about our first cruise and the excursions we took Zipline, Sea trek where you walk on the ocean floor and Tulum Myan ruins.

If you're looking for cheap, here are my suggestions.

Mahogany Bay, just walk to the free beach. It takes about 5 minutes, free chairs, large swimming area, etc.

Cozumel: take a taxi to one of the many beach clubs. I personally skip the all inclusive. We took a taxi to Paradise Beach, ate lunch ala carte, they have a great beach, pool, chairs, clean bathrooms etc all for $3 pp (not including taxi which is $15 per taxi one way)

Belize: splurge on a cruiseline excursion. As others have said, it is a tender port and there's not much to do on the mainland near the pier. Outside of the gates it is sketchy. Not necessarily dangerous but I wouldn't recommend it. We went to Starfish Island and had a nice time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Mr Sanchos is a great bargain in Cozumel. You can pay 50 or $55 And it's all the food and all the drinks and the beach you can handle....I don't think there's a better bargain out there.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using speech to text

Nachi Cocum is comparable but Nachi limits the amount of people they accept each day so it's not crowded. Used to be just 100 and with their expansion it's now 130 people per day. From what I have read Mr. Sancho's is also more family oriented than Nachi, so Nachi is more appropriate for a more kid free experience.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We did zip line in Honduras that was fantastic! We found it through shore excursioneer dot com.....We did the shark-ray and alley in Belize. Also wonderful. The Mayan ruins there are great... Same website. We have done about everything in Cozumel, beaches, fishing, dune buggy, 4 wheeler, snorkeling, Tulum, X-rails. We try to do smaller excursions on 2 and splurge on the third. Your tastes are different than ours...find something you love!

Agree with others. Make Belize your splurge day. Nice snorkeling on the reef. Cave tubing is very cool, but it is a long bumpy ride to get there - the good news is you get to see a lot of the country. Through Carnival, the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour was great and well worth the money. For younger kids, Carnival also has an eco park excursion, which was good.

Cozumel - this is super easy. No good reason to book through Carnival here unless you want to go to the mainland. For a beach day, you can't beat Paradise Beach. Love the pool (shallow), the drinks and the food. We have done Nachi many times, and it is worth a visit if you want to drink a lot and prefer a laid back vibe, Or go shopping downtown; sometimes we even go to the local market - it gives me an opportunity to practice my Spanish. Downtown has one of my favorite bars anywhere. Check out the Thirsty Cougar - fun vibe with strong frozen drinks and good food . A guy from the States owns it and he is very pleasant. Cozumel Bar Hop gets good reviews but we did this independently and that way, we were on our schedule.

Roatan - great ziplining. Expensive but worth it if you are the adventure type. If not, just stay at the beach at the port. For about $50 you can get a clam shell, two unlimited passes to the skyride to and from the beach (it is very walkable but you can get some great pics of the ship and the beach from the skyride), snorkel gear and floating mats. This is a Carnival excursion so you book it on the Carnival website. Otherwise, just walk over and grab some free chaises. There is bar and food service from a restaurant on the beach (not Carnival).

I live in Tampa so the W. Caribbean is our usual cruise route. We really enjoy these ports.

If you like to snorkel, there's a Carnival excursion in Belize that picks you up at the ship (so no tendering in to Belize City) that's a reef snorkel, island beach break and includes rum punch (and lots of rum punch) - we've done that one a couple of times and always had a great time. In Roatan we love the Maya Key excursion - you have to book through Carnival now- some of the best snorkeling I have ever done. And I have to agree with Nachi in Cozumel (ask for Carlos, best waiter around!)