NCL Upgrade Program Info Please :)

danak13

Bear with me as I know there are a lot of threads about this but I am curious:

I booked a cruise in Nov (through Expedia) and, to my surprise, our cabin has already been assigned (we just had a guaranteed room).

When did people start getting upgrade offers from NCL? Did you get an email or would you go through the website and check?

I booked a cruise in Nov (through Expedia) and, to my surprise, our cabin has already been assigned (we just had a guaranteed room).

When did people start getting upgrade offers from NCL? Did you get an email or would you go through the website and check?

You are NOT eligible for an upgrade since you booked a guaranteed room.

Not true. We are sailing in July and have a guaranteed room. We got an email offer to upgrade right after the final payment was made.

Not true. We are sailing in July and have a guaranteed room. We got an email offer to upgrade right after the final payment was made.

I believe there a few different classifications of "guarantee". The "X" guarantee (IX, OX, BX, etc..) or a guarantee within a certain category: example a BC guarantee (which is different than a BX). Out of curiosity, which type of guarantee did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you are. Ibooked a guarante inside for June2nd to Bermuda and i got Upgraded to a balcony cause I bid for one and the bid was a poor bid too!

I believe there a few different classifications of "guarantee". The "X" guarantee (IX, OX, BX, etc..) or a guarantee within a certain category: example a BC guarantee (which is different than a BX). Out of curiosity, which type of guarantee did you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure which "guarantee' is being held. I don't see any of those codes in my reservation. All I know is we are guaranteed a Mini-suite with balcony. And we got an upgrade email.

I found out my travel agent doesn't participate in the new biding system. I was a little disappointed when I heard that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never understood why travel agents don't participate. So, because your agent doesn't participate, you're not able to make a bid? That's crazy. If I was in that predicament and I wanted to bid, I'd have to let my TA loose and transfer the reservation to NCL.

You should avoid the predicament and not book with that TA in the first place, if being able to bid is important to you. (And I'm not sure, but I don't think you are guaranteed to receive an invitation to bid, even if your TA participates in the program.)

I don't know if TAs are required to release your booking upon request, or if they are allowed to charge you a fee for taking the booking away from them. It's simpler to ask pertinent questions before booking…

I had an IF Guarantee (inside room). Received the Upgrade notice April 20 for our July 1 sailing. Received the upgrade May 19 for an oceanview room.

Thank you for sharing. An IF guarantee is very different than an IX guarantee which could be why you received the upgrade offer. I have yet to hear of anyone with a true "X" guarantee receiving upgrade bid offer.

I never understood why travel agents don't participate. So, because your agent doesn't participate, you're not able to make a bid? That's crazy. If I was in that predicament and I wanted to bid, I'd have to let my TA loose and transfer the reservation to NCL.

I wish I had known that my TA did not participate in the bidding process when I booked. I am past my final payment so cannot transfer to NCL now. Live and learn. I will book with NCL next time.

You should avoid the predicament and not book with that TA in the first place, if being able to bid is important to you. (And I'm not sure, but I don't think you are guaranteed to receive an invitation to bid, even if your TA participates in the program.)

I don't know if TAs are required to release your booking upon request, or if they are allowed to charge you a fee for taking the booking away from them. It's simpler to ask pertinent questions before booking…

Once a booking is made it belongs to the TA. They do not have to release it if they do not want to (unless NCL forces the issue due to a specific problem). If they release it they can charge any fee they want to give it up.

I had an IF Guarantee (inside room). Received the Upgrade notice April 20 for our July 1 sailing. Received the upgrade May 19 for an oceanview room.

Thank you for sharing; this gives me hope!!

Who says that? You definitely can upgrade with a guaranteed room. Friends just received their upgrade through bidding for a cruise next week.

Who says that? You definitely can upgrade with a guaranteed room. Friends just received their upgrade through bidding for a cruise next week.

What kind of guarantee room did they have? Guarantee's come in many varieties and I believe that is where the confusion lies. It appears as though those with true "X" guarantees aren't offered the opportunity to bid. The true guarantees (IX for Inside guarantee, OX for oceanview guarantee, BX for balcony guarantee, MX for mini guarantee, etc..).

Example I booked a BC guarantee and received the bidding email (I did not book a BX guarantee. I can not find anyone with an "X" guarantee who has received the email offer to bid.