New RC Terminal at Port of Miami

BillOh

Has ground been broken for the new terminal? Any construction webcams? Any threads here I missed on the subject? Any external links. 5 cruises out of POM, looking forward to the new terminal in 2019.

Has ground been broken for the new terminal? Any construction webcams? Any threads here I missed on the subject? Any external links. 5 cruises out of POM, looking forward to the new terminal in 2019.

Yes, they broke ground in March.

Yes, they broke ground in March.

I should have phrased that differently. Has construction started? Ground breaking is related to a bunch of overpaid suits pretending to do real physical work in front of cameras.

The one artists drawing in that article makes it look like the new terminal is almost in front of Royal's HQ building. I assume that is just for effect. Below is a google map where I presume the new terminal is going. Is this correct?

pom.gif

Edited by BillOh

I should have phrased that differently. Has construction started? Ground breaking is related to a bunch of overpaid suits pretending to do real physical work in front of cameras.

The one artists drawing in that article makes it look like the new terminal is almost in front of Royal's HQ building. I assume that is just for effect. Below is a google map where I presume the new terminal is going. Is this correct?

I think so Bill. I read that the terminal was going to be at the east end of the island.

pom.gif

Yes, construction has started. RCCL's buildings are on the west end of the island, adjacent to Terminal J. The new terminal is on the east end of the island.

Yes, construction has started. RCCL's buildings are on the west end of the island, adjacent to Terminal J. The new terminal is on the east end of the island.

Thanks, its rare that the PZTV zooms in that far down and it might be obstructed even when ships are not in port.

no ... you are postioning it in the middle of the cargo/container port and I doubt that's the plan .... the cruise section and the cargo section are kept 'separate'.

new%20miami_zps2aqlkenm.jpg

take a look at the 'depiction' in the original press release. I believe the location is at the east end of the existing passenger area ... east of terminal b/c ... at berth 50 on this map

miami-cruise-port-map.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

no ... you are postioning it in the middle of the cargo/container port and I doubt that's the plan .... the cruise section and the cargo section are kept 'separate'.

take a look at the 'depiction' in the original press release. I believe the location is at the east end of the existing passenger area ... east of terminal b/c ... at berth 50 on this map

The width of the Oasis class is what I suspected it was going to be further out. I've heard one report the ship will have to back in and not want to go too far, I'm imagining, with no evidence while a big ship is backing in nothing else will be going in our out. If it is in the berth50 area, we might be able to pick up some activity on the port cam.

don't follow your channel width comment ... the existing channel is wider at berth 50 then it is farther to the east. Altho the area east is 'undeveloped' so far as pier face. To build something new to the east of the pier 50 location would (will) cost WAY more as the area would need to be dredged extensively ... and this is a 'hard rock' bottom area. Will they turn an OASIS in the east turning basin and back to the pier? Dunno .... but the west turning basin is at least as large as the east one so like many existing ships they could run to the other end, spin then come back to the pier. (I have the chart on my desk as I play with the question)

I remember when most cruise ships were 'short enuf' to turn in the cut right off their berth!

btw .... Port of Miami or more specifically Causeway Island was my home port for 4 years ... 6/92 - 6/94 and 6/97 - 6/99 when I was Executive Officer and then Commanding Officer of the largest Cutter at Base Miami {at the time ... has subsequently moved to NAVSTA Mayport FL to free up dock space for new <longer> patrol boats}

Zooming in with the port webcam, I can't see any signs of actual construction work going on anywhere. I hope its done in 700 days! Actually, I think Symphony is do in POM much sooner than that. Maybe its just my Northern mind that thinks construction should already be started.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This is an easy map to look at. In relation to the terminals where is parking. We will be driving and hope it is not complicated to park and return to the terminal.

• 3 months later...

The people sailing on the TA East are past pay off date and are about 40 days from having their docs issued which should show their arrival terminal. Anyone seen any updates on the terminal?

The people sailing on the TA East are past pay off date and are about 40 days from having their docs issued which should show their arrival terminal. Anyone seen any updates on the terminal?

It's still under construction. I can actually see it sitting on my sofa as I type.

It topped off in February and is slated to ready for use in October.

It's still under construction. I can actually see it sitting on my sofa as I type.

It topped off in February and is slated to ready for use in October.

Do you have a decent camera with a telephoto lens? How about some update pics? October is only about 12 weeks away! I was kind of expecting the new terminal to host Mariner once or twice to get the kinks out before Symphony and Allure's arrival.

FYI to everyone. If you find the PORTMIAMI page on facebook they have been posting some great photos of the port from the 60s and 70's. I didn't cruise there till 2006.

Do you have a decent camera with a telephoto lens? How about some update pics? October is only about 12 weeks away! I was kind of expecting the new terminal to host Mariner once or twice to get the kinks out before Symphony and Allure's arrival.

Here is an article today in the Next Miami with inside pictures of the new terminal. Now it states November to be ready.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/photos-inside-royal-caribbeans-crown-of-miami-opening-in-fall/