Cheapest Beach Option for 2

OceansOfTravels

Hello,

We are planning our upcoming day in Grand Cayman. We would like to go to the beach, but would not like to spend an insane amount of money. What is the cheapest place that we can rent 2 beach chairs and an umbrella? Please factor in the transportation fare that we will need, we are not opposed to public transportation but the person I am traveling with cannot walk for too long, so we will need some mode of transportation. Would you recommend an organization beach club with chairs, or can we lay out our towels somewhere? Are there any facilities at your recommended place(s)?

Thanks in advance for your help! :D

Nothing is cheap in Grand Cayman. The cheapest would be beach towels in the sand. LOL.

We will be going to Royal Palms when we go there.

I think it is around $40 for two chairs and a beach umbrella.

$125 for a Cabana. In the Caribbean we usually find that $5-10 per chair is a the average with another $20 for an umbrella.

Grand Cayman is the priciest of the lot, from my research and experience.

No children under 18 allowed in pool

Transportation will run you $4 pp each direction.

Food menu offered.

$2 pp entrance fee, I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess we will be laying a towel down in the sand. Is anyone familiar with the public bus system and where we can tell them to drop us off at? Where is the best place to lay your towel? Will any of them have a restroom or a restaurant nearby that we could go to to relieve ourselves?

I guess we will be laying a towel down in the sand. Is anyone familiar with the public bus system and where we can tell them to drop us off at? Where is the best place to lay your towel? Will any of them have a restroom or a restaurant nearby that we could go to to relieve ourselves?

Okay, correction $15 for an umbrella and $12 pp for chairs. That is actually an excellent price. And Royal Palms has very modern facilities. Evidently the bus is around $2 pp and you just flag them down from the road.

According to my research, you won't be able to use facilities at many places unless you are a guest.

Another place that people like is Calico Jacks, a funky little restaurant on the beach, and next door there is a chair rental place.

Check it out on Trip Advisor. That is a great resource. [emoji74]

Most places if you purchase food and drink, then of course you will have access to facilities.

Go into the Grand Cayman 7 mile beach forums on Trip Advisor and you will be surprised how much info is there.

Catch the bus to anywhere on 7 Mile Beach....there are chair/umbrella rentals all up and down the beach....restrooms, too, and food/drink is available...the Public Beach/Seagrape area also has watersport rentals, if you're so inclined. The bus is $2.50 pp...very easy!

All of 7 Mile Beach is open to the public. No need to pay for a "resort" to have a beach day in GC!

Another place that people like is Calico Jacks, a funky little restaurant on the beach, and next door there is a chair rental place.

Since you are looking for the most inexpensive, the beach area around Calico Jack's might work out well for you since you'd be able to take a public bus and use your beach towels rather that renting chairs.

Thank you all so much for the great information! It looks like I won't be stressing as much as I thought I would be for our Grand Cayman day, The fact that all of the beaches are public is so convenient, I could always just find a place and settle down with my towel, or go to a more unknown place and rent chairs from them. Thank you again! :D

Taxis at the port are shared ride vans. They charge per person. Going to popular locations such as beach stops along Seven Mile Beach should be US$4 to US$6 per person, each direction, with slightly higher charge for the stops further from the port.

The public bus system is accessed from a depot on Edward St next to the library, a block inland from the port. This might be a little bit further than your travel companion is able to walk. The public buses are not permitted to pick up or drop off passengers within the port zone. Bus fare is US$2.50 per person, each way.

The Seven Mile Public Beach is a popular stop. There are restrooms and Calico Jacks is adjacent to the property for food and drinks. There usually are chair and umbrella rentals at this location, but government has been making some efforts at cracking down on operators who rent chairs from public property without a business license.

Taxis at the port are shared ride vans. They charge per person. Going to popular locations such as beach stops along Seven Mile Beach should be US$4 to US$6 per person, each direction, with slightly higher charge for the stops further from the port.

The public bus system is accessed from a depot on Edward St next to the library, a block inland from the port. This might be a little bit further than your travel companion is able to walk. The public buses are not permitted to pick up or drop off passengers within the port zone. Bus fare is US$2.50 per person, each way.

The Seven Mile Public Beach is a popular stop. There are restrooms and Calico Jacks is adjacent to the property for food and drinks. There usually are chair and umbrella rentals at this location, but government has been making some efforts at cracking down on operators who rent chairs from public property without a business license.

Okay, thank you so much for your help. It seems to me like we will be taking the bus down to Public Beach, and if we can find good chair rentals, renting a chair, but if not, laying down our towels. If there are facilities like you say there are nearby, that makes it even better. Thank you so much for your help!

take a taxi to Smiths Cove ..... this is the opposite direction from Seven Mile Beach, the direction "everyone" else will be heading.

here you'll find a small beach very popular with the local folks. there is a small beach house with simple showers and rest rooms ... a few picnic tables. Most of the time there's no food/drink available so bring your water. You'll find NO crowd ... some nice snorkeling if you are in the mood. Arrange with your taxi for a pickup time, or walk to Sunset House and My Bar ... a few blocks ..... libate, refresh and ask the bar to call a taxi.

Smiths-Cove-George-Town-Cayman-Islands.jpg

http://www.whatshot.ky/2014/09/sunset-house-my-bar-a-legendary-local-favorite/

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

take a taxi to Smiths Cove ..... this is the opposite direction from Seven Mile Beach, the direction "everyone" else will be heading.

here you'll find a small beach very popular with the local folks. there is a small beach house with simple showers and rest rooms ... a few picnic tables. Most of the time there's no food/drink available so bring your water. You'll find NO crowd ... some nice snorkeling if you are in the mood. Arrange with your taxi for a pickup time, or walk to Sunset House and My Bar ... a few blocks ..... libate, refresh and ask the bar to call a taxi.

Smiths-Cove-George-Town-Cayman-Islands.jpg

http://www.whatshot.ky/2014/09/sunset-house-my-bar-a-legendary-local-favorite/

SmithCove_zps03b12717.jpg

Oh wow! I have never heard of this before, this sounds like a nice option for a more local and secluded beach day. There is no charge for laying down a towel, right? Thank you so much for this! :D

no cost for access

this is a popular place for shore snorkeling for folks (divers) staying at Sunset House who want a lil sand time ..... just a short walk .....

but don't tell anyone .... it is a secret!

you would want to grab in town b4 heading over ... with 12 you'd probably need 2 taxi's so negotiate with a driver for a quik stop ..... Cayman drivers tend to be very friendly but it will cost you .... EVERYTHING in Cayman will cost you ...

Secret's out on Cruise Critic. Beach will no longer be the secluded place it once

Was. [emoji43] OP states that the person she is with can't walk too far. How far is Sunset House from the beach?

Wondering how pricey the cab to this place would be?

Found this in a search, and it is two miles away from the port.

Martin0327

Cool Cruiser

Houston, TX 1 Posts Joined Sep 2016

Posted September 26th, 2016, 12:12 PM

We snorkeled Smith's Cove, last week...amazing!

Taxi to the cove was $4-6 per person depending on the size of your group. There are 2 bathrooms and a shower outside. There are no shops, restaurants, facilities, lockers or anything.

The beach is about 15-20 wide with reefs on either side. The shore is a maze of reefs within 50' of the beach.

There was a couple there that said they had been on the island for 2 weeks and this was the best snorkeling they had found.