Transatlantic round trip

Bennybluehat

Hi, we are considering doing the transatlantic round trip on QM2 next year. Firstly is there enough to do onboard to keep 2 40 somethings amused for 12 days at sea and secondly what is the best way to see as much of New York as poss given we are there for less than a day?

We went a few years ago as a 30 and 40 something couple and did not get bored.

The thing to remember about NY (well, Manhattan) is that it's not on the scale of London. You can walk round easily enough, nothing is that far from anywhere else.

Assuming it's still the same as a few years ago then Cunard will provide a coach to Macey (about $40 each). We were walking up 6th Avenue and having our breakfast by 8:30 or so. So they get you there quiet early on. You get picked up at the same place at about 15:00.

There's loads to do depending on what you like. Interesting guest lectures, gym, walking around deck, sunbathing (4 our of 7 days on our TA in 2015 were warm enough), bridge, watercolour classes, dance lessons, fab library, pub quizzes, movies, shows in evening, deck games, afternoon tea ... if anything there isn't enough time and things clash!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

There's loads to do depending on what you like. Interesting guest lectures, gym, walking around deck, sunbathing (4 our of 7 days on our TA in 2015 were warm enough), bridge, watercolour classes, dance lessons, fab library, pub quizzes, movies, shows in evening, deck games, afternoon tea ... if anything there isn't enough time and things clash!

I should have added I was 49 when I did my first Cunard TA. Haven't been able ro do back to back but would love to. Doing a West bound in August (having done Eastbound summer 2015 and then Carribbean Christmas the same year).

If you do BTB TA, you will actually have 14 days on board, not 12. People love the BTB experience, and many of us will tell you that you won't get bored. We don't do BTB, but we do lots of TA and will board again June 7, real soon. Very much looking forward to it. As for NYC, I am a big fan, but a few hours there would leave me very frustrated. Getting through customs/immigration in Brooklyn has become a time-consuming hassle. Cunard will get you to Macy's midtown and from there you can get to museums, walking tours, parks, etc. But not enough time. Don't let that discourage you. Envision the QM2 as your destination. It's lovely.

Thank you all for your replies. I am happy to learn we can get to Macy's and back to the ship again through Cunard, that will be very helpful. As we are not keen flyers the btb trip seems ideal and although neither of us are "city people" New York is somewhere we want to experience and if we don't like it we are not stuck there for a few days. It will be a good trial to see if we would like to spend more time there. Is the QM2 good at handling rough seas as the cruise we would choose would probably be near the end of the year when I imagine the Atlantic isn't at its best?!

Thank you all for your replies. I am happy to learn we can get to Macy's and back to the ship again through Cunard, that will be very helpful. As we are not keen flyers the btb trip seems ideal and although neither of us are "city people" New York is somewhere we want to experience and if we don't like it we are not stuck there for a few days. It will be a good trial to see if we would like to spend more time there. Is the QM2 good at handling rough seas as the cruise we would choose would probably be near the end of the year when I imagine the Atlantic isn't at its best?!

The QM2 is probably the best ship for TAs because she was built for this purpose and is actually a liner and not a cruise ship where the hull is stronger and not as round shaped as cruise ships so therefore does not roll as much and handles rough seas superbly well.

Majortom is absolutely correct. But that does not mean that you won't experience some motion. And if the seas are very rough, your trip won't be smooth. Transatlantics are not for people who easily get seasick, but if you can stand some motion, or don't mind some medication, you'll be fine.

Hi, we are considering doing the transatlantic round trip on QM2 next year. Firstly is there enough to do onboard to keep 2 40 somethings amused for 12 days at sea

We have previously taken 5 TA crossings on the QM2 and will be taking back to back crossings from NY this December. There are usually many different activities occuring at a given time during the day, so you will have to choose. There never seems to be enough hours in the day to do everything you would like to do. The ship's Daily Programme for the next day is brought to your stateroom in the evening so you can decide what to do the next day before going to bed. Be sure to bring along a high-lighter pen.

Actually, your challenge is just the opposite. There is so much to do on the QM2 that you will tend to over stuff the burrito. My suggestion is to get all of your "fill the wine glass to the top" days out of your system on the trip over. On the return trip is when you will stop and smell the roses, oops, I mean the salt air. Enjoy the deck chairs on the promenade deck, spend an hour in the hot tubs on deck 8 stern terrace with a few glasses of champagne. Let the Atlantic Ocean and the Greatest Ship afloat fill your senses. As for NYC, I would suggest skipping Macy's and having brunch in Central Park at the Boat House. Make a reservation, arrive an hour early and enjoy a few glasses of champagne in the bar where you will meet the most interesting people from around the world. Then, spend 2 hours in a parrallel universe of pleasure. The Boat House is strictly a May - October experience. If I'm wrong, the first glass of champagne on me. If you've had a second glass, either in the hot tub or at the Boat House, well then, I'm right.

Jack Dawson

aka Harold

I think I've walked through the entire ship's exhibits (mostly stairwells and 2-3L-3 forward) but I've never tried to get the headsets from the purser's desk to listen to the audio commentary. I don't even know if they're really available although there's a sign somewhere (I'm guessing forward of the B Lifts on 2 or 3) that mentions their availability.