Just back.. ISP and glacier bay a MUST!!!

red212fire212

.. In my opinion!

Just returning from the 14 day ncl sun repositioning Alaska cruise, people ask is glacier bay a must, I think it is..

We did sawyer glacier... Beautiful but from quite a distance away and Hubbard glacier... Thick fog and an ice belt meant that we saw nothing, at all!!!!

Glacier bay was just amazing.. If we had had only one of the others on the itinerary we would have been quite unimpressed, definitely if just Hubbard glacier for sure!

And as for ISP... We had been seeing whales from the ship for days, some far off, some got quite near.. Blows, tails, backs and we were impressed. THEN we started to dock in ISP... They were everywhere, well it felt like it!

There was a lone one and 4 together that spent the whole day moving up and down the bay, we spent the whole day on shore, walked to Hoonah and back then sat on the shore line watching them bubble feed and perform for us.

Once while we were waiting for the 4 to come past again the lone one appeared from no where so close to us everyone jumped, the noise when it trumpeted was amazing... You know your close when you hear that!

Then came the grand finale....

Getting near time to sail away, the group of 4 were a bit away from the aft of the ship, the whale watching boats had left them (not needed) and they started coming in our direction, one appeared just off the edge of the ship then it went quiet....

We were on deck 12 outside looking over the side and then I noticed the ring of bubbles.. I shouted, they're coming, they're gonna bubble feed AND THEY DID! right below us right next to the ship... It was totally the highlight of the cruise!!!! (And I went whale watching in Juneau, if I had gone to ISP before, I would not have)

So when looking at itineraries I strongly recommend glacier bay and ISP.

I have seen quite a few of whales outside of my ship in Juneau. Once they were bubble feeding pretty close. Another time, I was in a small boat but near my ship and saw a pod of orcas playing. So this happens in Juneau also. I have been whale watching in Juneau when it has been great and other times when it has been mediocre. One never knows.

I agree with you about Glacier Bay. My first time to Hubbard, we missed it :( and it was my only glacier.

I also just got off the NCL Sun, we did NOT sail Tracy Arm. The ship was diverted to Endicott Arm with a very nice view of Dawes Glacier.

In Hoonah, I followed the whales all day. A group of 6 humpbacks, went back and forth along the bay. a three some group was also bubble netting. "Fredrico" a 40 year Hoonah "resident" - loner was also noted bubble netting. I had a fantastic view of a 2 cycle "group" of the 6 and 3 feeding together at the former tunnel when they then split.

Whole reason for this was simple- herring, and a huge bloom. This is not going to last, ( maybe another week hopefully, when I return :) ) Therefore presently you aren't seen much if any whales at Point Adolphus or in Icy Strait.

Whole reason for this was simple- herring, and a huge bloom. This is not going to last, ( maybe another week hopefully, when I return :) ) Therefore presently you aren't seen much if any whales at Point Adolphus or in Icy Strait.

The park ranger we picked up at Bartlett Cove 2 weeks ago said they'd be publishing a report, if it's not out already, that indicates 1/3 of the core group of Humpbacks did not return the the Pt Adolphus area in 2016. They haven't seen them this year either. We saw one humpback back and a fluke out of ISP last year.

The park ranger we picked up at Bartlett Cove 2 weeks ago said they'd be publishing a report, if it's not out already, that indicates 1/3 of the core group of Humpbacks did not return the the Pt Adolphus area in 2016. They haven't seen them this year either. We saw one humpback back and a fluke out of ISP last year.

Point Adolphus is not a major feeding area, early in the season, over many years. Humpbacks have always been more concentrated in other areas, same with decent whale watching out of Skagway for the next few weeks, then essentially none. All about the herring.

Point Adolphus is not a major feeding area, early in the season, over many years. Humpbacks have always been more concentrated in other areas, same with decent whale watching out of Skagway for the next few weeks, then essentially none. All about the herring.

The ranger made it sound like a bigger issue than just humpbacks chasing herring. Sounds as though they didn’t return to Hawaii last winter as well and they don’t know where they are. By Pt Adolphus I believe she was meant the area around Pt Adolphus, Glacier Bay and Icy Strait Point.

.. In my opinion!

Just returning from the 14 day ncl sun repositioning Alaska cruise, people ask is glacier bay a must, I think it is..

We did sawyer glacier... Beautiful but from quite a distance away and Hubbard glacier... Thick fog and an ice belt meant that we saw nothing, at all!!!!

Glacier bay was just amazing.. If we had had only one of the others on the itinerary we would have been quite unimpressed, definitely if just Hubbard glacier for sure!

And as for ISP... We had been seeing whales from the ship for days, some far off, some got quite near.. Blows, tails, backs and we were impressed. THEN we started to dock in ISP... They were everywhere, well it felt like it!

There was a lone one and 4 together that spent the whole day moving up and down the bay, we spent the whole day on shore, walked to Hoonah and back then sat on the shore line watching them bubble feed and perform for us.

Once while we were waiting for the 4 to come past again the lone one appeared from no where so close to us everyone jumped, the noise when it trumpeted was amazing... You know your close when you hear that!

Then came the grand finale....

Getting near time to sail away, the group of 4 were a bit away from the aft of the ship, the whale watching boats had left them (not needed) and they started coming in our direction, one appeared just off the edge of the ship then it went quiet....

We were on deck 12 outside looking over the side and then I noticed the ring of bubbles.. I shouted, they're coming, they're gonna bubble feed AND THEY DID! right below us right next to the ship... It was totally the highlight of the cruise!!!! (And I went whale watching in Juneau, if I had gone to ISP before, I would not have)

So when looking at itineraries I strongly recommend glacier bay and ISP.

Any chance you have shots of the dailies from the Sun?? Did you have a preference for one of the 2 MDRs??

Any chance you have shots of the dailies from the Sun?? Did you have a preference for one of the 2 MDRs??

this was a one time 14 day repo cruise, so the "dailies" aren't going to be the same as the usual 7.

Dining rooms offered the same menus. If you want to just look out the window, the back of 7 seas had better viewing.