Can You Cruise on a Passport that Expires in Less than 6 Months?

Hi OceanofTravels,

Would like to know if you had any issue to board the ship or the entry these country during your Msc cruise because I have the same issue with you for my Msc Seaside cruise on August 25, 2018.

Thanks!!!!

We’re you able to get on the cruise to Cuba with a passport that expired less than 6 months ..I have the same issue coming up next week

• 4 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 11:39 AM, Dunfer said:

Mikek1977, did you have any problem with your Passport on the Cuba trip?  The link in Post #17 above indicates the Passport only has to be valid.  Expiration date does not matter.

Cuba is the one exception in the Caribbean.   For there, you need a passport, and it requires 6 month validity.

Some other countries in the Caribbean require passport with 6 months, if NOT coming via cruise ship.

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread but wondered if there were any changes...We are cruising 2/16 and DH passports expires 8/9 so we had a "warning" when doing the set sail pass.  Doing a Caribbean 7 nite Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize.  From what I read a birth certificate and drivers license with picture should be enough OR do we need to expedite a new passport which at this point is $$$..

1 minute ago, torpeedo said:

I know this is an older thread but wondered if there were any changes...We are cruising 2/16 and DH passports expires 8/9 so we had a "warning" when doing the set sail pass.  Doing a Caribbean 7 nite Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize.  From what I read a birth certificate and drivers license with picture should be enough OR do we need to expedite a new passport which at this point is $$$..

You should not need a new passport for your 2/16 cruise, unless you are going to Cuba.

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

You should not need a new passport for your 2/16 cruise, unless you are going to Cuba.

Thank you!  I called Royal and they said OK with BC but you get so much mis informations there..Our state doesn't have the Enhanced drivers license but he does have the Real ID license so I hope that's sufficient.  We had actually tried to renew last year last year and the post office wouldn't do it and said we had to be less than 6 months out to renew.  Crazy.

18 minutes ago, torpeedo said:

Thank you!  I called Royal and they said OK with BC but you get so much mis informations there..Our state doesn't have the Enhanced drivers license but he does have the Real ID license so I hope that's sufficient.  We had actually tried to renew last year last year and the post office wouldn't do it and said we had to be less than 6 months out to renew.  Crazy.

You will most likely be fine with the passports but bring the bc just in case.  We took a somewhat last minute cruise to the Bahamas in January, our passports expire in March. We got the warning during on line check in so brought both passports and birth certificates.  Nobody batted an eye at the passports, the bc never even came out.

As stared most areas in the Caribbean don't apply the 6 month rule, the only I know of is Cuba where a valid passport is required.

44 minutes ago, akcruz said:

You will most likely be fine with the passports but bring the bc just in case.  We took a somewhat last minute cruise to the Bahamas in January, our passports expire in March. We got the warning during on line check in so brought both passports and birth certificates.  Nobody batted an eye at the passports, the bc never even came out.

As stared most areas in the Caribbean don't apply the 6 month rule, the only I know of is Cuba where a valid passport is required.

Oh that is great news!  That's exactly what I was hoping would happen!!

Edited by torpeedo

Realize there are differences between arriving on a cruise ship versus flying or driving in (where possible).

But if you don't need a passport to do the cruise, you don't need one with 6 months validity.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

While Cuba (unlike most of the Caribbean) does require that cruise passengers must have a passport for entry, the US State Department says that Cuba merely requires that the passport “Must be valid at time of entry”.  No mention of a six month or any other delayed expiration requirement. On what are you basing the requirement for six months or longer passport validity for travel to Cuba?

13 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

While Cuba (unlike most of the Caribbean) does require that cruise passengers must have a passport for entry, the US State Department says that Cuba merely requires that the passport “Must be valid at time of entry”.  No mention of a six month or any other delayed expiration requirement. On what are you basing the requirement for six months or longer passport validity for travel to Cuba?

I was basing it on comments made here on CC.  But may be a cruise line requirement.

I found this:

Yes. Any American traveling to Cuba will need a valid U.S. passport. It's suggested that your passport be valid for at least six months after traveling on an insightCuba tour. Please be sure to check the expiration date of your passport, and if need be, renew your passport if it is nearing expiration.

Six month validity is SUGGESTED.

This one says 1 month is required:

PASSPORT. A valid passport is required for all foreign nationals intending to visit Cuba. The passport must be valid for at least one month beyond the date of your expected departure from Cuba.

BTW, US Department of State is NOT the definitive source for details about entering OTHER countries.

22 hours ago, akcruz said:

Don't bother with the BC.  You have a perfectly valid passport, why make things more difficult?

8 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Don't bother with the BC.  You have a perfectly valid passport, why make things more difficult?

To me it was all about peace of mind.  While I was 99% sure we would be fine with the passports I would be kicking myself if, for some reason, I wasn't.  I had the bc as backup with our drivers licenses.  One of my worst fears is getting to the port and not having what I need to get on the ship.

Also, my trip is over and passport renewals are in so next time won't be a concern for me.  Chances are very good the posters here will be fine with their passports, but personally I don't want to be the person that told them don't bring bc you definitely won't need them and for some reason their situation is an exception.  I have given my experience and thoughts, now up to them to do what they feel comfortable with.