Princess vacation insurance

licram

I purchased Princess cruise insurance but am confused as to when it starts and ends. We fly out the day before from US to London England stay overnight in a hotel and board the cruise ship for British isles cruise and same thing on debarking. Am I covered for entire trip?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you book the air through Princess? If not than the air fare is not included in the cancellation coverage. But reimbursement for any covered expenses resulting from a trip delay and/or lost luggage (to the extent not reimbursed by the airline) should still be.

And I do believe the coverage for medical emergencies (reimbursement of expenses, not the cancel for medical reasons clause) does not begin until embarkation day.

I purchased Princess cruise insurance but am confused as to when it starts and ends. We fly out the day before from US to London England stay overnight in a hotel and board the cruise ship for British isles cruise and same thing on debarking. Am I covered for entire trip?

Not unless you booked Princess EZ Air and/or a package with air and/or hotel and/or transfers through Princess.

Of course as noted additional in above post by FW.

Be aware that any independent tours (or anything else) you arrange that Princess did not sell you will, also, not be covered. You miss a port, get your own hotel, have prepaid anything, etc. will not be covered. Princess only covers what they sell you. If you want "door to door" you need to go to third party insurance. I always do and list the day before I plan to leave and the day after I plan to be back as it doesn't change the price. I, also, start with what I will need to cover and then inch up the coverage until the premium changes. Better to have "too much" insurance than not enough. I, also, pay big attention to what their medi-vac coverage is. It can be on the low side with cruise line at $25-50K whereas 3rd party is usually around $100K.

And I do believe the coverage for medical emergencies (reimbursement of expenses, not the cancel for medical reasons clause) does not begin until embarkation day.

This is incorrect.

A careful reading of the contract (believe me it is confusing) shows that medical is covered during your "Covered Cruise Vacation" which is defined as the period from when you leave your home and then return. There are a few limitations but this is the general case.

...A careful reading of the contract (believe me it is confusing) shows that medical is covered during your "Covered Cruise Vacation" which is defined as the period from when you leave your home and then return. There are a few limitations but this is the general case.

Given the obscure and confusing wording in the policy, at various times I have talked about this with several different Aon Affinity agents -- Aon manages Princess Vacation Protection (PVP). In each case, the discussion was in the context that we would have the Platinum plan and that our flights would not be bought through Princess.

The answers were not always consistent or clear, but most often the answer seemed to be that--even if flights & hotel are not booked through Princess--PVP medical coverage applies to the cruise dates plus up to a total of four pre- and/or post-cruise days (e.g., 2 d pre and 2 d post). However, I am not 100% confident about this interpretation, despite asking Aon repeatedly, and we have not had occasion to test by making an actual claim for medical expenses in the 4-day (total) pre- or post-cruise period. I would be interested to learn what other people's experience has been on this point.

On another point, some of the upper limits on benefits under PVP are low compared to other plans. However, the "cancel for any reason" provision is attractive and, for us, sometimes tips the balance in favour of buying PVP.

John

Edited by J-D