Do you have to pay VAT for internet services for western Mediterranean cruise?

We will be sailing on the Jewel of the Seas on June 25th on a western Mediterranean cruise. First, does anyone know if we have to pay VAT if we prebuy internet services? Do we have to pay VAT if we buy it on the ship?

Second, how good is the internet on the Jewel of the Seas? I have read conficting reports. We want to use it to Skype.

Internet on Jewel is not the fast O3b internet found on Quantum/Oasis class ships plus Freedom and Majesty. I would expect poor to unusable performance for video streaming.

I was on Jewel last August after the refit and internet was shockingly bad - I wouldn't bother with it again.

About the VAT, where is the cruise going? You may or may not be charged VAT depending on the ports. If VAT is charged on board, it more than likely won't be if you pre-buy it before the cruise.

We are boarding at Civitavecchia and then visiting Cannes, Ajaccio, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, and Cagliari.

Did you use the surf only package or the surf & stream?

Just got off Jewel May 19th (Transatlantic B2B with a 9 day Greece/Italy cruise).

On the Transatlantic, I had the surf and stream package and it wasn't too bad. I was actually surprised that the internet was so much better than our last crossing the year before.

I hadn't planned on getting internet for the Greek Isles/Italy cruise but changed my mind and signed up for the "surf only" package just to check email (and hockey scores :rolleyes:)... a big mistake! It was so slow that I couldn't use it half the time.. it kept timing out and at times, it was impossible to connect. This was from my cabin so I'm not sure if things would be different if you were in another area of the ship.. say where the computers are.:confused: Even when the ship was docked in port, the connection was poor.

Did you use the surf only package or the surf & stream?

I had the surf and stream as I thought it might be better than the basic surf package. It was really terrible - I couldn't even listen to music on Spotify without it cutting out.

Now because your cruise stops in Spain and doesn't include any non-EU ports you most likely

will have to pay Spanish tax if you buy the package on board but as it doesn't leave from Spain you won't have to pay the tax if you buy it from your cruise planner. So if you are planning on buying it I'd buy it before you go.

I am on Jewel now and yes the wifi package includes 22% italian vat making the daily rate $15.85 instead of $12.99. It certainly isn't Voom.... but I have been able to FaceTime my DH using it everyday.

All shop purchases have 22% vat added too but the drinks do not FYI

I'm also on June 25 .... have you registered for M&M?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on Jewel now and yes the wifi package includes 22% italian vat making the daily rate $15.85 instead of $12.99. It certainly isn't Voom.... but I have been able to FaceTime my DH using it everyday.

All shop purchases have 22% vat added too but the drinks do not FYI

I'm also on June 25 .... have you registered for M&M?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you prebuy your internet package and if so did you have to pay VAT? This is my first time traveling to Europe so I'm not sure how the VAT works!

I haven't registered for the M&M. I should probably get around to that! :)

We were on the Jewel out of Rome on May 6 cruise. Even though we each get 2 free 24 hour sessions, I decided to pre purchase for entire cruise for 1 device - surf and stream. The only area on the ship I had problems was under the overhang area poolside. I did report it to guest services and I wasn't the only person who did report it. However, we had no problems in our stateroom and other locations on the ship. If you sail to only EU ports and purchase on board, yes - you will have to pay VAT. You will have to pay VAT for everything you purchase on board. (PS - they were doing lots of on board specialty dining promotions - 30% off - and the specialty restaurants were not full. My guess is because of VAT.)

In addition to VAT at 22% there are no on board sales in store of tobacco products and BOTTLES of liquor (wines and "spirits") - except for bottles of wines - which can be purchased in dining venues with VAT added. And that's what happens when a cruise ship does only EU ports on Med cruises.

• 2 months later...
Raising this thread. I'm on Jewel to Italy/Greece (all EU) in September. If I purchased the beverage package on board, is the VAT added?

an all EU cruise - anything and everything you purchase on board has VAT added - from specialty dining to a shirt in the gift shop. whatever you pre purchase does not. If you are thinking about a beverage package you are better off doing it before you board.

Raising this thread. I'm on Jewel to Italy/Greece (all EU) in September. If I purchased the beverage package on board, is the VAT added?

I have been on Jewel twice this year out of Rome. No VAT added to drinks on board, just 18% tips. No VAT on specialty dining either.

VAT is added onto items in shops and to the wifi packages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been on Jewel twice this year out of Rome. No VAT added to drinks on board, just 18% tips. No VAT on specialty dining either.

VAT is added onto items in shops and to the wifi packages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I was on the Jewel a few months ago - all EU ports - EVERYTHING purchased once on board had VAT added. including specialty dining.

Only cruises that start/end in Spain or Italy have the VAT added to everything. And, if there is one non-EU port, like Gibraltar or Croatia (I think it is), then the VAT is only added when you are in Spanish or Italian waters.

As far as VAT refunds, you can only apply for a refund for something you are taking out of the EU, like a purchase in the gift shop. Things consumed onboard, like drinks, and internet, are all liable for VAT with no refund.