Duty & where to pay.

We have an upcoming cruise to Canada. My DW wants to bring home more than the usual allotted 2 liters of wine. We have never brought home more than the allotted amount nor have we ever had to pay duty on any other purchases. I know you declare it on the customs form. Where do you actually pay the tax - is it at the booth where you show your declaration form? What is the typical tax on a bottle of wine?

Thanks, George

First off, according to the U.S. Customs officials at the border, you are only allowed one bottle of liquor, not two. The stores will always tell you two because they want to sell it to you. However, we have never paid duty on wine from Canada. We live 1-1/2 hrs. from the Canadian border. We travel to Niagara Falls, Canada every year to buy wine. We bring home two cases. We claim it at the border and are told that there is no duty on wine, only liquor. I have had to pay duty on more than one bottle of liquor. They generally will not charge duty if you are only one bottle over the limit, it's not worth the paperwork.

First off, according to the U.S. Customs officials at the border, you are only allowed one bottle of liquor, not two. The stores will always tell you two because they want to sell it to you. However, we have never paid duty on wine from Canada. We live 1-1/2 hrs. from the Canadian border. We travel to Niagara Falls, Canada every year to buy wine. We bring home two cases. We claim it at the border and are told that there is no duty on wine, only liquor. I have had to pay duty on more than one bottle of liquor. They generally will not charge duty if you are only one bottle over the limit, it's not worth the paperwork.

Husband and wife can bring 1 bottle each, so the OP's 2 bottles is accurate in their situation

Any time we have had to pay duty it has been at a side area near the processing booths and had to be paid in cash.

Thanks Scotty.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I should have mentioned that our port of reentry was Port Liberty, NJ.

George