A few questions before going on our first cruise, The Star, next Sunday.

8228gl

Hi,

There are 8 of us from the UK sailing out of Venice next Sunday on the Star.

For 6 of us this is our first ever cruise. When we booked our cruise it was before it became all inclusive.

I have a few questions that I hope you experts will be able to answer.

1) I don't have a credit card. So will it be ok if I bring US dollars on board and have these put on my on board account.

2) My wife wants to know what the weather is like on the upper deck on the evening/night so we can have a drink in the Bier Garten.

3) Are the Galleria shops reasonably priced or expensive.

4) Are there any free coffee's/cakes at the Atrium Cafe.

5) Are the ports of Kotor, Corfu Town, Santorini, Mykonos and Dubrovnik all within walking distance or are there taxis/buses available.

Many thanks.

Graeme

A lot of cruise ships have what they call a "Sign And Sail" card. GUARD THIS WITH YOUR LIFE! You will use this to get into your cabin, buy stuff on the ship (via onboard credit which you can connect to your credit card), and to get on and off the ship at the ports of call. You may want to check the currency of the countries you are going to as they will accept cash and some may not be able to convert your currency into their currency. If not, see if there's a bank nearby that can do the exchange for you.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

Hi,

For 6 of us this is our first ever cruise. When we booked our cruise it was before it became all inclusive.

1) I don't have a credit card. So will it be ok if I bring US dollars on board and have these put on my on board account.

2) My wife wants to know what the weather is like on the upper deck on the evening/night so we can have a drink in the Bier Garten.

5) Are the ports of Kotor, Corfu Town, Santorini, Mykonos and Dubrovnik all within walking distance or are there taxis/buses available.

Many thanks.

Graeme

1) yes

2) bring a wrap and the bar doesn't stay open all evening so be ready to go indoors

3) mixture, some OK things and I keep away from the jewellery

4) no, free coffee and cakes are in buffet. Atrium coffee is a pay bar

5) kotor, tender straight to centre. Corfu about 25 mins walk or get shuttle bus, santorini you need to get up the hill on the cable car, Mykonos depends if docked or tendered. If tendered takes you into centre and if docked pay a couple euro water taxi. Dubrovnik again docked or tendered? If tendered takes to centre and if not, get a cab

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi we were on the Star 14-21 May.

The Bier Garten closes at 6. It's a great place to hang out in during the day.

It can be a bit windy whilst at sea as it's at the top of the ship.

But you can usually find a bit of shelter somewhere.

We liked the loungers just down from there, lovely and sunny and the waiters come round and take drinks orders.

Gatsbys was our evening favourite. Great bar staff and live music most nights.

Small enough to feel really friendly and we always ended up chatting with other people.

Dave the piano player was great and had everyone joining in at times.

Mykonos was our favourite port.

We just got off and did our own thing at each port,most were just a walk from ship or tender area.

The shops are quite expensive, lots of jewellery.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

That's great. Thank you Fifi1910 for your reply. Did you notice if all the sun loungers were taken up or is there always somewhere on the ship where you can lie and relax and do a spot of sunbathing.

We are sailing on the Star in September and wondered if anyone can tell me if you can purchase the Thermal Spa passes online prior to sailing or do I need to wait until we get on the ship to purchase them? Thank you 😊

That's great. Thank you Fifi1910 for your reply. Did you notice if all the sun loungers were taken up or is there always somewhere on the ship where you can lie and relax and do a spot of sunbathing.

There were a couple of times it was busy. People do seem to reserve beds early with towels and then not show up until late afternoon.

We always managed to find beds somewhere, but there were just the two of us.

It's a good atmosphere around the pool when the band are playing at sail away, we sat down there a few times.

Edited by Fifi1910

We are sailing on the Star in September and wondered if anyone can tell me if you can purchase the Thermal Spa passes online prior to sailing or do I need to wait until we get on the ship to purchase them? Thank you 😊

We purchased ours before sailing.

We only went the once, it's quite a small area.

The steam and sauna rooms are in the male/female areas so you can't use them as a couple.

There are nice relaxation rooms but they too are in the separate areas.

It so warm and sunny on our cruise we always preferred to be outside.

I've just checked my NCL and you can pre book the thermal spa before your cruise.

Thank you for the reply. My husband always enjoys the Thermal Spa pass and very much wants us to have them for this cruise. We are 100 days away from our cruise and are staying in a suite so I am hoping that I will be able to purchase them soon. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We purchased ours before sailing.

We only went the once, it's quite a small area.

The steam and sauna rooms are in the male/female areas so you can't use them as a couple.

There are nice relaxation rooms but they too are in the separate areas.

It so warm and sunny on our cruise we always preferred to be outside.

That is very good to know that some things can not be used as a couple. Do you know what can be used as a couple? I was on the Star with my mom, aunt and sister but we did not purchase the spa passes because not everyone would have gone. This time it is just my husband and myself to celebrate being married 27 years. We have used the Thermal spa on the Epic, Pearl, and the Getaway in the past and loved it, but have not used one on a smaller ship. Thanks

For Corfu and Santorini, I recommend taking a tour. Both islands deserve more than a limited walk around. For Corfu we had a wonderful tour to the north end of the island and visited an amazing manastery. For Santorini, we did the winery tour that took us over the entire island. Also, we got off the ship first.

Mykonos and Dubrovnik are east DIY. For Mykonos, if you have time, and love ancient history, take the ferry to Delos.

The pool chairs were reserved with towels early but we noticed the crew place stickers on chairs and vacated them if not used for an hour. We never had problems finding lounges although not always right by the pool. The only excursion we took was the winery and Oia in Santorini. All other were simple. We did a back to back so went to Kotor twice. Once walk off and next tendered. Both were easy walk to town. In Dubrovnik we took the shuttle offered by the ship for $15 but concluded we would take taxi next time as the lines at bus stop to get back to ship were very long and shared taxis would have been cheaper.

We enjoyed every single port but I think Split was my favorite.

No free coffees in Atrium but Osheans is right above.

Prices in Galleria seemed high but on the first cruise some items went for 75% on last day. Did not happen on second cruise.

All in all a fabulous time was had by all.

That is very good to know that some things can not be used as a couple. Do you know what can be used as a couple? I was on the Star with my mom, aunt and sister but we did not purchase the spa passes because not everyone would have gone. This time it is just my husband and myself to celebrate being married 27 years. We have used the Thermal spa on the Epic, Pearl, and the Getaway in the past and loved it, but have not used one on a smaller ship. Thanks

The pool, jacuzzi and cooler spa tub are all in the main area as are the loungers. No heated loungers though :(

It is a lovely view especially whilst in port.

We've done the spa on the Epic and Escape and it doesn't compare with either, but then it is a much smaller ship.

Santorini was one of our favorite ports, but the problem is that you need to first tender off your ship (this involves riding your life boat to the shore). Then, you arrive at the base of the town of Fira, which is located on a fairly steep hill. Your only options up are a cable car (which will be very crowded very quickly), riding a donkey up or walking along the donkey path. We rode the donkeys, and ran into people who gave up on the walk since they said it was really hard navigating the donkeys and the donkey poop (I don't know if they were right but wouldn't do this in the rain). You might want to leave really early or later to avoid most of the crowds. We returned to the ship easier than last call, and it was easy to get onto the cable car then. At times, there have been boats you can take instead of the cable car or donkey path, but I don't know if they are currently running. You should check on the Mediterranean board.

Just be aware that unless you have prepaid gratuities they will be charging your account daily for gratuities as well as any other purchases you make aboard ship. You will need to keep track of your account balance or you may find your cruise card being refused, for lack of funds, at the most inopportune time.

Yes are gratuaties have been prepayed. We are still debating whether it will be the cable car, the walk or the donkeys. Don't fancy the donkeys cause I've heard some interesting stories. Thanks all for the great and very informative replies.

Hi,

Many thanks.

Graeme

Hi

I'm from the UK too and always use my debit card (not credit card) for my onboard account so you could do that if you don't want to mess with cash