Juneau on our own?

Kgaskins

Hello all...we are booked on Princess with a port of call in Juneau on August 2. We're considering spending the day on our own. What's the downtown area like? Is it a far walk from the pier? We're not disabled, but we're older and do have a little arthritis and can't walk indefinitely. Does the downtown area have benches to stop and rest? Should we take a bus? Taxi? Should we rent a car? Are there even rental agencies at the pier? Price estimate? Thinking about Mendenhall Glacier or the salmon hatchery. Would love to stop at a Harley store and a knitting store. Thank you so much for any advice!

Hi Kgaskins, I have not yet been to Alaska, we leave next month. I booked a car in Juneau through Juneau Car Rentals back in Feb 2017 per advice on this board that availability is limited, it is a short walk from the pier. Recent posts indicate that there may be a new Avis office in town as well. Go to the "search this thread" button upper right on this Alaska site and type in your request," Juneau car rental", for example and see what CC reviewers have to say. You can also type in" DIY Juneau" and see what posts you can review.

From reading these boards I know there are shuttles to Mendenhall Glacier, Glacier Gardens and other places but I don't have the details. Our car rental is only $60. for the entire day and we plan to drive to a wide variety of places.

I hope this is of some help. Enjoy your cruise.

I suggest that you take a look at Google Earth. The ships dock right in town. I suspect that the longest walk if you want to stay in town would be less than a mile and that would be to the State capital. Most of the tourist areas are within a slow 10 -12 minute walk.

The downtown area is very close and easy walk. The tram is right where most ships dock. You can catch a bus to the glacier again near the dock. If you have a golden parks pass (65) there is no charge at the glacier viewing area. There is a Alaska State museum within walking distance. And the Red Dog saloon is right downtown. You can have a great day just walking around town. :halo:

We were in Juneau last week and did a self-guided walking tour that I found online on Frommer's. It was 1 mile long and took about 1 hour.. The major sites (State Capitol, Governor's Mansion, State Museum and Red Dog Saloon) were included on the tour.

A GREAT deal depends WHERE your ship is docked. Absolutely- Juneau Car Rental is ONLY near the AJ dock where you'd need a taxi with mobility limits at other docks.

The closest dock to "downtown" is 'Steamship. Princess frequently uses South Franklin which - with limits, is going to be too far.

So, first, figure out what dock you are at, then more details can be given.

Hi Kgaskins, I have not yet been to Alaska, we leave next month. I booked a car in Juneau through Juneau Car Rentals back in Feb 2017 per advice on this board that availability is limited, it is a short walk from the pier.

This is not accurate. The only "pier" Juneau Car Rental is near is the AJ dock. The other 3 and the tender dock are no where near it, at least a hilly mile away.

If there is a ship a AJ Dock, there will be a shuttle (possibly a nominal charge) from Vis Ctr/Tramway to AJ... Then from the shuttle drop-off (AJ) it is a short walk. Check out http://claalaska.com to find out if there's a ship at AJ... (i.e. shuttle) Yes, without the shuttle, it's 1.0 mi. to walk from Franklin....possibly difficult with mobility issues. It is further from other docks, but Princess docks most of the time at Franklin.... (again...that can be confirmed on the claalaska website)

Edited by rgmacm

We have been to Alaska several times. We make up our own walking tour in every port. We are, probably, in the same physical condition as the OP.

The Alaska State Museum a favorite in Juneau.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

confirmed on CLAA Coral Princess will be at the Franklin Street dock on 8/2. Crystal ship at AJ.

Juneau Docks (scroll down for map)

We are doing Juneau on our own this time since we've been there before and had planned to do the DIPAC hatchery but have dropped it from plan due to similar hatchery/aquarium we are doing in Sitka. We might take city bus to Glacier Gardens again since we liked that very much and very little walking since you ride their tram (stretch golf cart) up the mountain. State Museum is a definite on our list. We also dropped Mt. Roberts off plan as an expensive tourist trap. Might wander over to Hanger on the Wharf to take a picture of the harbor camera. If the mood strikes we might do a whale watch tour at the dock otherwise we are going to be very flexible.

We walked Juneau on our own in May. The Solstice was docked at dock AJ and a bus brought us to the parking lot by the tram. If the weather is good, the tram ride is fun. It is a bit of an uphill walk to the State Capitol building, but certainly doable if you're mobile. Seaside Yarns is a lovely shop with a great selection. Sorry, I don't have the address with me, but it's on the second floor of a building and is well marked. Beautiful quilt/needlework shop in the same building.

We did Juneau on our own in May & found it easily walkable & had a great day. Because we had seen the glacier previously, we elected to stay in town. I would highly recommend the Alaska State Museum. It was magnificent. It is not advertised enough. Give yourself a couple hours there. It's approx 10 blocks away from the pier, pretty flat. On the way back we found a little whole in the wall cafe selling Russian dumplings & playing a variety of old vinyl albums. Great day. Enjoy