5/14-5/21 breakaway sailing to bermuda

Maraprince

First time on Breakaway but not with NCL (Platinum). This was the Mother's Day sailing out of NY. Boarding was delayed due to the late arrival of the previous sailing which encountered strong currents in the Hudson. Horrible weather the day before the sailing with heavy rain and strong winds.

We found that descriptions did not always match reality. A lot of "hype" in some cases such as saying with vegetables and getting a total of 6 peas and carrots!!!! Food in Savor, Taste, and theme lunch buffets in Moderno on sea days were excellent along with the service. Best service was in Savor. Manhattan Room was disappointing regarding service and food itself. Beef lasagna was loads of chopped meat with a slice of pasta on top, but no layers, minestrone soup had no noodles, but chopped califlower, "Classic Caesar" salad (great tasting dressing) came with pieces of toasted Italian bread and pieces of grilled chicken but no anchovies.

Garden Buffet -- food was lukewarm, bread/rolls lacked taste, cheddar cheese did not melt in omelets (but sliced cheese from the cold cuts did), waffles/pancakes were missing some ingredient, vegetables: broccoli (undercooked), green & yellow squash, eggplant, potatoes. Lots of walking to get what you wanted helped to make your food go cold. Not enough water/coffee stations (only 2) and one ice machine always seemed to be out of service.

Meat portions (chicken or steak) were large and served hot in 3 main dining rooms. Garden buffet was hit or miss (more miss).

Staff went out of their way to accommodate you and always very polite and smiling. Enjoyed the guitar player and singer who greeted you at the entrance to the Garden Cafe every morning.

Some "bug" on ship made its round and got us on our 2nd day in Bermuda -- running nose, sneezing and cough. CD barely had a voice on our first night. Now we know why!!! Still recovering from the "bug"!!!!!

Shows:

Rock of Ages -- great! Managed to see it 2 times.

Cirque -- Jungle Fantasy -- well worth the money!!! Dinner was good, show fantastic!!

Glad we were able to get reservations first night for 7PM. 5:45 show cancelled due to lack of attendance. Thought we might not get to see it due to conflict with our reserved shows/dinners.

Burn the Floor -- don't miss.

Good news: shows are repeated during the sailing and some nights have 2 shows for Rock of Ages

Bad news: on-line availability is misleading -- try once you are on board and you should get everything you want. Just go in person to the MDR or the box office and unless you have a large group you should be able to walk right in.

Very easy to get around the ship especially if you use deck 6 to go from the back to the front. Most direct route. Indoor temps vary from location to location.

Atruim suffers from a severe case of indoor chair hogs! Hard to get a seat on deck 6 or 7 for many things held there.

Theatre: good sight lines even all the way in the back but steps all the way down to the front. Make sure to get in before the lights go down or else risk tripping and falling in the dark. I used a small pair of binoculars the second time and it was better than being in the front row!

Edited by Maraprince

Thanks for your review & tips! Would you sail the Breakaway again? Which are your favorite NCL ships? Just curious since we will be on Breakaway in Oct.

Breakaway had lots of things to do and you could not do them all! Passengers seemed to be friendly than on the Gem. Gem, by comparison, did not have as many actitivities for adults and more family oriented. We almost felt that we had to had a child to participate in some things. Not much to do after main show at night. Breakaway had much more to offer and the crowds to match. :( We found that unless you come with a group, passengers seem to keep to themselves. On the Breakaway we had dinner reservations booked pre boarding for 4 of the 7 nights. On board, we did Cirque with dinner the first night and the last 2 nights we returned to Savor. We did run into some passengers from our Roll Call and chatted with them but everyone seemed to have their own plans. Between catching the reserved shows and reserved dinners, and being in Bermuda for 3 days tyou tried to make the most of your time ashore so there was little time to really mingle. You were kept busy doing it all.

We found the service in Savor and Taste to be better than the MDRs on the Gem. Hard to pick a favorite NCL ship since I have been on some many of them both pre and after Free Style was introduced. Still favor fixed second seating with the same wait staff and dinner companions. You had to be very precise on how you wanted your food prepared. If they took it back to the kitchen, you had at least a 20 minute wait before the new order arrived. Several times I asked the waiter for recommendations and the choice turned out to be a good one.

Not sure if we would do the Breakaway again. It would depend on pricing and destination and what other cruise lines are sailing from NYC around the same time. This was an early birthday cruise for me since my actual birthday was 3 days after our return. By comparison with Princess, Carnival or RCL something seemed to be "missing", i.e. on deck dancing at night or inside since the public areas are not sufficient for the amount of passengers on board and going to and from reservations left little time to socialize with others.

You will enjoy your sailling in October! Not to worry!

MARAPRINCE

Thanks for your comparisons to the Gem since that's the only other NCL ship I have sailed on :) Thanks also for the additional info & thoughts about your cruise on the Breakaway. Everyone who sails seems to have the same complaints about the crowds. I'm not too worried since we sailed on RCL's Anthem last year & that ship is similar in size.

Thank you for the BA report - having been on her 3X - although, last time was about a year ago, your impression & comments about the buffet food is what I would believe and probably write-up myself. It's warm, looked edible but often tasted otherwise ... these are subjective & personal, others would find them to be great - being AYCE & seen folks piling up their plate full of dessert alone (we would do the same ... with fruits)

We couldn't resist with a price "steal" 2 months ago & booked the BA again - this Fall as part of our 2 weeks getaway (2nd. week - flying out to the West Coast) doing another milky run to Nassau/GSC/PC (yeah, boring itinerary ... just relax and do some R&R.) Still have time to cancel & book a 10 days+ on a different ship.

We like the MDR options like fine & feel Taste & Savor are better - faster services & entrees seemed to come out at a "warmer" temperature (less walk to the huge gallery, which I saw last time doing the BTS tour) ... something about the setup/staffing in Manhattan. Have 2 specialty dining (Platinum) so we will probably book Cagney & Moderno for a change, as LeBistro was the choice before.

Whether it's the mega ships or smaller ones - my biggest dislike is the "one & only" never-changing MDR menu ... tossing in O'Sheehan's and the buffet somehow made it "doable" for 7 days. BIL's/SIL's hangout daily for the late/lunch BBQ upstairs on the pool deck - which is on the Gem but not on the BA at all (correct ?) Good thing being, I noticed too, on 2017 sailing - MDR meal portion seemed bigger but the sides, LOL - are still a joke.

Anyway, nice to read someone else's report/review. BirdTravels just gave a heads-up about a new (??) scheme to deal with massive crowds using Express Self Walk-Off with color luggage tags for everyone ... starting tomorrow ??? That's going to be fun to read about - NOT (not going to affect us ... unless they limit and enforce the total # of pax "allowed" to use the option & do better on managing the lines and flow)

Just a note about MDR menus based on our 5/14 trip. There is only one lunch menu; the dinner menu included a number of always available options as well as items that changed daily. We solved the vegetable dilemma by ordering an additional side on occasion.

Thank you for the BA report - having been on her 3X - although, last time was about a year ago, your impression & comments about the buffet food is what I would believe and probably write-up myself. It's warm, looked edible but often tasted otherwise ... these are subjective & personal, others would find them to be great - being AYCE & seen folks piling up their plate full of dessert alone (we would do the same ... with fruits)

We couldn't resist with a price "steal" 2 months ago & booked the BA again - this Fall as part of our 2 weeks getaway (2nd. week - flying out to the West Coast) doing another milky run to Nassau/GSC/PC (yeah, boring itinerary ... just relax and do some R&R.) Still have time to cancel & book a 10 days+ on a different ship.

We like the MDR options like fine & feel Taste & Savor are better - faster services & entrees seemed to come out at a "warmer" temperature (less walk to the huge gallery, which I saw last time doing the BTS tour) ... something about the setup/staffing in Manhattan. Have 2 specialty dining (Platinum) so we will probably book Cagney & Moderno for a change, as LeBistro was the choice before.

Whether it's the mega ships or smaller ones - my biggest dislike is the "one & only" never-changing MDR menu ... tossing in O'Sheehan's and the buffet somehow made it "doable" for 7 days. BIL's/SIL's hangout daily for the late/lunch BBQ upstairs on the pool deck - which is on the Gem but not on the BA at all (correct ?) Good thing being, I noticed too, on 2017 sailing - MDR meal portion seemed bigger but the sides, LOL - are still a joke.

Anyway, nice to read someone else's report/review. BirdTravels just gave a heads-up about a new (??) scheme to deal with massive crowds using Express Self Walk-Off with color luggage tags for everyone ... starting tomorrow ??? That's going to be fun to read about - NOT (not going to affect us ... unless they limit and enforce the total # of pax "allowed" to use the option & do better on managing the lines and flow)

In Manhattan, if there are too many people in the terminal disembarcation will be shut down or temporarily halted until they can catch up with processing them. So, even if you have an early departure color you may still have to wait. Being Platinum helped a lot since we were grouped in with the passengers needing help and the suites. We were able to sit comfortably until it was our turn to join the line to get off the ship. First group after the self-carry offs. Earliest we have ever been off the ship!

MARAPRINCE

We felt the same way that both Taste and Savor were closer to the kitchen which made for quicker service and hotter food. Manhattan Room was very disappointing in service but had tremenddous meat portions which only served to make the veggies(?) seem even smaller by comparison! Again, I stand by my statement that some things in reality did not live up to the hype given by NCL. Manhattan Room was presented as being very elegant but was actually the size of a large catering hall. We were seated up front right by the band and the singer and were entertained while waiting for our food. Anyone in the back or side areas could not see the dance floor. Overall, NCL was not big on making the food look nice (presentation) on the plate like some other lines.

They did some things very well while others were lacking. We went to O'S. first night for coffee and dessert since we attended Cirque earlier in the evening. It took so long for the coffee to come when we could actually see the coffee machine from our table! Wait staff wasn't able to handle the amount of passengers as they came in from shows. Seating was quick, but serve was very slow.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you for the detailed review. Currently booked on an Anthem Bermuda cruise in 2019 but I've heard enough good things about the NCL sailings that I'm holding the option of switching over to the Escape. Always nice to hear some objective thoughts on both!

I am sailing to Bermuda in July, I was interested in the seafood specialty restaurant on the breakaway. How would you rate it? Thanks

Nothing to report since we did not get to try it nor the Noodle restaurant. Sorry:(!

MARAPRINCE

I am sailing to Bermuda in July, I was interested in the seafood specialty restaurant on the breakaway. How would you rate it? Thanks

Daughter and SIL thought it was very good and recommend we give it a try on our next trip.

Thank you for the review! You mentioned platinum passengers being able to wait for disembarkation with suites. We are platinum and have been on the Breakaway before but waited on line with everyone else to disembark. We like to eat breakfast at Taste or Savor before leaving the ship. After breakfast is there a set place for platinum members to go? We aren't in any hurry to leave the ship but dread standing in the long lines. Thanks.

Thank you for the review! You mentioned platinum passengers being able to wait for disembarkation with suites. We are platinum and have been on the Breakaway before but waited on line with everyone else to disembark. We like to eat breakfast at Taste or Savor before leaving the ship. After breakfast is there a set place for platinum members to go? We aren't in any hurry to leave the ship but dread standing in the long lines. Thanks.

Yes. We had to ask at the about it since we did not receive any information along with our luggage tags. It was in Moderno's. No food or beverages were provided like other cruise lines do. All you needed to do was show your cabin key to enter into the room, find a seat and wait for your color to be called. Our time was shown as 8:45 AM.

We ate in buffet early and had enough time to go back to the cabin to get our hand carries to take up to the lounge. No sense in lugging them up to the buffet and then down again to get to the lounge. However, some passengers in the buffet had all their luggage with them since they may have been self carrying it off. Again, there needs to be a size restriction set on the luggage that is carried off the ship since it poses a problem in the elevators and stairways. We could not believe the mother with a young child attempting to carry 3 large pieces of luggage on to the escalator in the terminal. She could not even hold the handrail. Thankfully, one of the agents stopped her from using the escalator and directed her to the elevator. Her daughter was told to wait for her mom on the floor below.

MARAPRINCE

For anyone that is interested. On the day of disembarkation- a full breakfast is served in Savor at 6:30-8:30. This is very popular, so get there early. People were waiting there at 6:00 for it to open. I was walk-off, and had two carryon size bags that I left outside Savor in an out of the way spot. Wasn't worried that anyone would steal my stuff (nothing valuable was in the bags).

Thank you for the info about Moderno! Platinum can disembark between 8:45 and 10:15. Did you wait in a long line once your color was called? Also, what time did you need to leave the cabin?

The only line we encountered was in the terminal to get on to the elevator rather than try to navigate the escalator with our hand carries. Going up an escalator is a lot easier than trying to go down on one that is moving rather quickly since you really do need to hold the handrail with your free hand (providing you have one!). Agents try to put as much space as possible between passengers so you do not bunch up when getting off. We found it was just easier (and safer) to wait for the elevator.

Since we went up early to the buffet and beat the lines, we had more than enough time to leisurely eat breakfast and then return to our cabin for our hand carries before heading over Moderno's to wait until it was time to get off. Nothing felt rushed and we were sitting comfortably until our turn to leave. Yes, there were long lines of people leaving the ship but we were directed to join the line immediately leaving the ship thereby avoiding them. Did get some not so nice looks from passengers on the long lines.

MARAPRINCE

Thank you for the great information! We'll go to Moderno to wait after breakfast! Do I check with the reception desk later in our cruise in case the location changes?

As soon as we received our luggage tags in our cabin we went to the Next Cruise Desk to find out where we should go as Platinum guests.

MARAPRINCE