Oasis of the Seas Incident

When you consider all the extra food and alcohol people consume on board compared to back home and also the hotter weather it is logical older people run a higher risk of dying on board unfortunately.

I'm not following - are you saying it's logical to think that due to overeating and over drinking older people run a higher risk of dying on board?

I'm not following - are you saying it's logical to think that due to overeating and over drinking older people run a higher risk of dying on board?

The issue is that older, and some younger, people who have chronic medical conditions take cruises. When they are exposed to dietary changes, higher alcohol intake, activity level changes, and sudden changes in heat and humidity these chronic issues can decompensate into acute issues that may result in death. Many people, my mother included, retain fluid when they cruise because of the change in diet. She has to take diuretics when she goes. It doesn't take much to tip some of these older people into congestive heart failure. Even the stress of just changing routine and traveling can tip some of these fragile folks over the edge.

It is all perfectly logical to me. But having practiced medicine now for a fair number of years what is logical to me may not be to others.

Edited by Ocean Boy

All our room steward is saying is that he heard it was a medical emergency. However, the room still has a padlock on the door. Which makes a medical emergency seem unusual. And we were not allowed to even go down the hallway during the incident. Nor were people allowed to leave their cabins. Thanks for some of the positive responses. I know many cruisers do live posts. So I thought someone on the ship may have more information.

I know what it sounds like, and if that's correct, no wonder the crew is tight lipped. Dear, dear. [emoji21]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

....but if the horse is already dead.... I think the issue is buffets and 4-course restaurant meals and free always-available snacks. It's like 7 (or 9 or 15) days of Thanksgiving! There IS healthy food to be had, of course, but then the waiter shoves a giant basket of bread under your nose and everyone at the table is ordering desserts. Thankfully, there are stairs and a gym and a walking/running track and dances. If someone has a chronic condition affected by diet, (s)he should at least get some guidelines on dealing with cruise eating from a favorite doctor or nurse or dietitian.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Over eating,over drinking and in most cases much hotter weather can all contribute to the risk of older people especially with any health problems being at a higher risk of dying on a cruise.

The issue is that older, and some younger, people who have chronic medical conditions take cruises. When they are exposed to dietary changes, higher alcohol intake, activity level changes, and sudden changes in heat and humidity these chronic issues can decompensate into acute issues that may result in death. Many people, my mother included, retain fluid when they cruise because of the change in diet. She has to take diuretics when she goes. It doesn't take much to tip some of these older people into congestive heart failure. Even the stress of just changing routine and traveling can tip some of these fragile folks over the edge.

It is all perfectly logical to me. But having practiced medicine now for a fair number of years what is logical to me may not be to others.

Excellent post and was exactly the point i was trying to make.

Completely false. The life boat quantitity is set with the ships max capacity. Max capacity is if every cabin and every bed is filled 100% of the time.

But the real question is how do they fit a buffet in a life boat ? People would freak out if they would have to go more than 2hrs without food.

No.. you are wrong, every bed in every cabin cannot ever be filled. Maximum capacity is measured by the number of lifeboat/raft seats for all souls aboard. I worked in CCL reservations for a few years. We would have "2 pax max" "3 pax max" sailings all the time, especially in high season. It meant that based on those that were already booked in 3/4/5 pax cabins, if we sold all the cabins remaining, and even 1 cabin exceed the restriction, we would exceed the lifeboat limit. If a sailing had a "2 pax max" restriction on it, we could put no more than 2 people into any triple, quad, or quint cabin/suite.

Re overeating and drinking amongst older passengers: So should cruise lines now become food police, maybe install a "Food (Fool) Baby" position on board to slap everyone's hands?;p :rolleyes:.

While Carnival and other lines have pretty good systems available to accommodate a wide range of dietary restrictions, the actual control/responsibility of intake and type of food eaten resides with the passenger, not the cruise lines.

Re: beating the dead horse of the original topic: Ship docked. New cruise took place. No one on these boards has any control over or personal interest regarding any incident not involving them directly. Acknowledge the sadness and empathize with the families (who probably don't read these posts anyway) and move on.

Re overeating and drinking amongst older passengers: So should cruise lines now become food police, maybe install a "Food (Fool) Baby" position on board to slap everyone's hands?;p :rolleyes:.

While Carnival and other lines have pretty good systems available to accommodate a wide range of dietary restrictions, the actual control/responsibility of intake and type of food eaten resides with the passenger, not the cruise lines.

Re: beating the dead horse of the original topic: Ship docked. New cruise took place. No one on these boards has any control over or personal interest regarding any incident not involving them directly. Acknowledge the sadness and empathize with the families (who probably don't read these posts anyway) and move on.

Agree on all those points.