Old Sled Dogs

SewMuch

There's lots of talk about how adorable the puppies are. It sounds like they are bred in large quantities to keep a steady supply for all the tourists. My question is, does anyone know what happens to the puppies who aren't good sled dogs, and older dogs who can no longer pull? I doubt there are enough people in Alaska to adopt them all.

I went on a tour once that had dogs pulling sleds on wheels. There was "an older lady". The other dogs all looked up to her. She was having glaucoma surgery soon. They indicated that they still use her to train "the young dogs" and still loves it. Not exactly sure what she does to help train them.....

I know Libby Riddles said that once her dogs get old, they become "house dogs".

Did dog sledding at "Good Times" in Breckenridge Colorado. They said some older dogs go home with some workers and some get adopted out. They treat their dogs well and the dogs really do enjoy pulling the sleds. They can't wait to start their run.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's lots of talk about how adorable the puppies are. It sounds like they are bred in large quantities to keep a steady supply for all the tourists. My question is, does anyone know what happens to the puppies who aren't good sled dogs, and older dogs who can no longer pull? I doubt there are enough people in Alaska to adopt them all.

There's times of year when the shelters fill with sled dogs abandoned by their breeders, when the food stocks run low. And yes, they're put down. Sled dogs are not easy pets. My friend adopts washed out sled dogs and it's a lot of work. Individual breeders and racers are responsible, but for every one of them, there's plenty up and comers trying to start a career on the cheap. This has been a concern of mine since I noticed the mention of 'seeing the puppies' on this forum.

(You asked. :()