How formal is elegant night?

Isn't going to improve. It's getting worse in my opinion. During my thanksgiving week cruise I counted atleast 6 men who walked by our table in uncollared shirts (t shirts) shorts and a few wore caps as well.

And if you didn't speak up and say something to the MDR hostess and have her tell those that are not complying with the rules to go and change cloths or go eat on the Lido deck then you are part of the problem and it will only get worse if the people do not stand up to those who refuse to follow all the rules.

Dress slacks and a nice button down shirt is perfectly fine. I remember going on my first cruise when i was 12 (SS Seabreaze 38 now) formal night was Tuxedos,suits and Gowns even for the kids. Call me traditional but I still wear a suit and tie on elegant night, but this does not mean dressing down is a bad thing.

I was on the Regal Princess in 2016 and it was much more formal.

I'm sure this has already been addressed, but my question concerns man's attire on elegant night. Would it be acceptable with a dress shirt and tie, no jacket?

I wear dress slacks and a nice shirt - no tie or jacket. I used to wear a tie and jacket but saw too many "gentlemen" wearing jeans or shorts & tees on elegant nights. On other nights I wear dockers and a golf shirt.

I am considering wearing a colander to formal night. Do not violate my rights as a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I was touched by his noodly appendage. RAMEN.

And to fight global warming, we need more pirates, so that could put a damper on cruising...

Anyway, I wore a dress shirt and nice slacks (and socks and shoes, etc!) for elegant night on our recent cruise on Liberty. I honestly can't remember if I wore a tie - I brought one, just don't remember if I wore it. Need to ask my wife. I was in the top 25% of the attire that night. I would happily wear a coat with a tie, but the coat will just come off right away, too darned warm, and then it just gets in the way, so why bother? Most formal wear is derived from upper-middle class northern western Europe (England, France), where the climate is very different from the tropics (where I cruise) and even the dining rooms aren't nearly cold enough to "represent".

I would be more inclined to dress up in a tux on an Alaskan cruise.

I appreciate those that want to go all-out. According to some random person we met on the dock at Nassau (no, really, I don't remember who) the MSC cruises have much more formal dress, and the clientele seems more eager to meet or exceed the requirements.

I am not surprised Carnival is more relaxed. It is part of the reason I like to cruise with them.

Thanks to everyone for your reply. This is my son's first cruise and he has always been a light packer so not including a jacket would be great. :D

He will probably be more dressed up than 60-70% of the guys on the ship!

I would happily wear a coat with a tie, but the coat will just come off right away, too darned warm, and then it just gets in the way, so why bother?

An excellent point that I'd like to make sure doesn't get missed.

I mean, really. I'm a smidge over 6'4" and about 300 pounds. I'll get hot/uncomfortable. My coat will be removed, and it'll dangle over the back of the chair, and someone's gonna trip.

In a few weeks I am heading on my first Carnival Cruise since 1998. This thread has been focused on the accepted dress of men on elegant night. How about for women?

What is the standard dress for women on elegant night? I travel for 2 weeks of cruising with carry on luggage. Not much room.for.dress shoes or items that are only worn 1 time.

Candid feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We have be on 18 Carnival Cruises when we first cruise we had to wear a suit time has change now you can go casual to the Captain night dinner. My son just got off of a NCL cruise they can go casual, time has change. Take Care

In a few weeks I am heading on my first Carnival Cruise since 1998. This thread has been focused on the accepted dress of men on elegant night. How about for women?

What is the standard dress for women on elegant night? I travel for 2 weeks of cruising with carry on luggage. Not much room.for.dress shoes or items that are only worn 1 time.

Candid feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

The recommended dress code per the website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

In practice - I'm guessing as long as you aren't in gym clothes or a swim suit you won't have any issues as a woman. A pair of dressy sandals wouldn't take much space if you want something more formal than flip flops or sneakers. I usually wear skirts, but even a longer capri would likely be allowed.

I'm sure this has already been addressed, but my question concerns man's attire on elegant night. Would it be acceptable with a dress shirt and tie, no jacket?

That's what my husband wears on elegant night. I kind of wish they would require tuxes for men - every man looks sexy and handsome in a tux!

We have be on 18 Carnival Cruises when we first cruise we had to wear a suit time has change now you can go casual to the Captain night dinner. My son just got off of a NCL cruise they can go casual, time has change. Take Care

Cruised since 1976 on the Mardi Gras and 35 since then and have never been required to wear a suit on Carnival. It was suggested dress from the start.

While not from your posts, other threads might insinuate Cruise Elegant is something new but it’s not. Fewer and fewer people dress up, the exception being on the Thanksgiving week trips we took while our daughter was still in school. Even then only a random tux here or there and a few in suits with ties.

I will take a sport coat if we drive to Galveston for a cruise, but don’t bother if we fly. A Tommy Bahama style shirt, khakis and casual shoes or Sperrys are the norm for every night at dinner. Even on Cruise Elegant we go change back to shorts for the show, piano bar, etc.

I don't think it's so much 'Carnival' has really gotten away from the formal dress as much as the 'guests' have gotten away from formal dress. I have certainly seen men in button down shirt & dress pants. My husband and son wear their suits on formal night and then wear dress pants with a button down or polo on other nights. We don't get the chance to dress up at home much & enjoy doing so for dinner on vacation.