Princess Excursion - STT-470 - St. John Scenic Cruise, Eco-Hike & Beach

smelmel

Has anyone done this excursion with Princess? (St. John Scenic Cruise, Eco-Hike & Beach)

It's listed as strenuous - Curious as to what makes it strenuous. The hike portion is not listed under the detail itinerary portion. The tour overview states -

"Upon arriving, you'll embark on a one-and-a-quarter-mile hike through National Park, world renowned for its breathtaking beauty and covering approximately three-fifths of St. John".

Appreciated any feedback - Thanks!

Edited by smelmel
clarifying

I did it a few years ago. I didn't consider it strenuous. I do a lot of walking so didn't think it was out of the ordinary. It was on a trail and there were some hills but not that steep. The pace was not a problem either with stops to see plants and views.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did it a few years ago. I didn't consider it strenuous. I do a lot of walking so didn't think it was out of the ordinary. It was on a trail and there were some hills but not that steep. The pace was not a problem either with stops to see plants and views.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for your input. We've done other Princess excursions that have been labeled "Strenuous" & didn't find them to be difficult - until our last cruise to Hawaii - the hike had us climbing a very steep hill - needing one person to pull up the next person - it was fun but strenuous :)

We did this 9 months after I had a hip replaced. Showed the excursion to my surgeon, he gave the OK.

It was a nice tour - the only part that was concerning was the rocks on the path could be slippery. The walk/hike was easy otherwise.

We stopped frequently and had time at the beach at the end. We then had a open air truck pick us up for return to the ferry.

Bring bug spray, just in case. Needed more down by the beach area than the hike.

Has anyone done this excursion with Princess? (St. John Scenic Cruise, Eco-Hike & Beach)

It's listed as strenuous - Curious as to what makes it strenuous. The hike portion is not listed under the detail itinerary portion. The tour overview states -

"Upon arriving, you'll embark on a one-and-a-quarter-mile hike through National Park, world renowned for its breathtaking beauty and covering approximately three-fifths of St. John".

Appreciated any feedback - Thanks!

I cant remember if I did this tour or a similar one in January. We opted not to hike and just use our time for the beach. It was not strenuous, perhaps the walk to the beach was sloped?

Thanks to all the responses this excursion is still on the table since the difficulty level is no longer a concern - Thank you!!

Added to the table is another ship excursion - St John's on you own - because last time on the island there wasn't enough time for shopping & I remember there being a few nicer shops at the ferry terminal.

So, doing the "on your own" allows for shopping but not the informative guided hike - I could skip the beach portion of the tour (description says about 15 minutes at the beach) still not enough time to shop - what a conundrum!!! ;p

The thing is: the hike starts near the terminal and goes to the beach.

If you do it on your own and not interested in the beach, you would have to do the hike both ways. Path is narrow so you have to stop if someone is going the other direction - not that it's a biggie.

To get to the beach - you have to do the hike. :D Beautiful beach & water.

btw: there are no amenities at the beach. It was rather difficult to get the sneakers back on without sand, lol

The thing is: the hike starts near the terminal and goes to the beach.

If you do it on your own and not interested in the beach, you would have to do the hike both ways. Path is narrow so you have to stop if someone is going the other direction - not that it's a biggie.

To get to the beach - you have to do the hike. :D Beautiful beach & water.

btw: there are no amenities at the beach. It was rather difficult to get the sneakers back on without sand, lol

Did not know the hike is only one way - thanks for the information -

Hiking won over shopping ;p - I booked the tour!