The Haven vs. Luxury Lines

MerDub

Hello!

I am looking at booking a European cruise for 4 in October(ish?) and my mother is quite keen on sailing a luxury line - Oceania, Azamara, RSSC, etc.

I sailed on the Getaway last year and LOVED the idea of The Haven.

Has anyone here sailed on Azamara or Oceania (etc) and can provide a comparison? I love the amenities of a big ship and personally thought the food on the Getaway was generally really great (even in the MDR) and I think The Haven would be right up my parents' alley, but I don't really have any comparisons so I'm hoping someone here can help. Cabin comparisons, service, entertainment, amenities, food, etc?

If it matters, my and my brother are late 20s and my parents are both 60 and fairly active - looking at booking the 2-br family villa. That BATHROOM. :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Thanks!!

This is a hard question to answer. And I think you would get varying answers from different demographics. Overall, the Haven is a comparable or better experience than any ship I've ever been on. Including Cunard and Azamara. That being said, depending on what it is that appeals to your mother about a luxury line, the rest of the ship is...not. I'm 32, and for me, I would hands down pick the Haven. Or the Getaway period. As much as I love the Haven, I just can't swing it for every cruise. I think you and your brother would be much happier on Getaway, and most likely bored to tears on Oceania or Azamara. I'm not sure about your mother though. If she's looking for that upscale, small ship feel, she's going to be sorely disappointed every time she steps foot outside the Haven. The Getaway is a totally different demographic and crowd than a luxury line. And 3 times as many of the different crowd all shoved together on one giant ship. My pick would be Getaway. The Haven is an amazing experience. And NCL's specialty restaurants are very good. The MDR's are fine, but definitely not on par with a luxury line. The UBP and SDP do help with the all Inclusive feel. And the Haven restaurant is great, although gets boring after a few days.I think you need to talk to your mom and see what she wants from the cruise though. The Getaway is still a VERY large ship, with (depending on the week) a much more fun loving, high energy crowd.

I think the above analysis nails it. There are a lot of similarities between the Haven and the premium lines, the main differences is that on the premium lines, its the whole ship which is a plus and a minus, depending on what ELSE you might want.

We loved having all the options on the ship but being able to retreat to the Haven for some peace and quiet, but some folks may not want the noise and crowds at all.

I enjoy the Haven as well as small ships offered by Azamara, Oceania, Crystal etc.

Amenity and service wise, I think the Haven offers more than Azamara or Oceania, and is in fact competitive with true luxury lines such as Regent or Crystal. In some aspect such as entertainment it has them all beat.

However what a large ship cannot offer is exotic destinations, and that is the reason I often opt for small ship cruises since I am not a "ship is the destination" cruiser. Also many cruisers prefer the quiet small ship ambience.

Thank you all so much, you've been most helpful. I think given our needs, we will probably end up sailing with NCL in The Haven, I do think the parentals are a bit apprehensive about the size of the ship but I think once they see how quiet and calm the Haven is, they might change their tune. Last time I was on the Getaway was February in the Caribbean and I really didn't find the ship to be crowded and I'm pretty sure we were sailing at at least 100% capacity. I think also, they're having a hard time looking at all of the additional "you have to pay for this" stuff and I was apprehensive about that the first time around as well but when you're doing all your research beforehand it looks like you have to pay for EVERYTHING - but there's literally SO MUCH to do that you don't have to pay for that you don't feel at all like you've missed out on anything if you don't do that stuff.

I feel like I need to remind them that if they were sailing on Oceania, they wouldn't be going to see a circus show in a big tent either LOL.

No matter how quiet the Haven might be you are still on a huge ship, and missing most of the amenities and the crew to passenger ratio that you get on the luxury lines. The food on the luxury lines is head and shoulders above anything on NCL. The only reason to choose the Haven is for things outside it like the ropes courses and multiple dining venues. Once you go on the luxury lines you will understand that the Haven doesn't compare.

Whereas others say (complain) that NCL nickle and dimes you I prefer to call it ala carte cruising. I pay for the add-ons that I want and not the ones I do not want.

That being said, being in the Haven more things are already included, like more perks. No fees on dining and bev perks or room service.

Fresh off the Epic Owner's suite in March, I had resisted the mega ship NCL suite experience. My favorite is the NCL Sun aft penthouse (x2), also Jewel and Dawn since I joined the suite life. For me, I am ready to book Epic again. Mainly because it will be my niece's college grad present. I will be 60. So, somewhat similar to your situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just to throw a wild card into this discussion, take a look at MSC's Yacht Club sailings.

In Europe, there will be a largely Continental-based passenger load, but we find that interesting, and the Yacht Club experience is something to enjoy.

gary

Thank you all so much, you've been most helpful. I think given our needs, we will probably end up sailing with NCL in The Haven, I do think the parentals are a bit apprehensive about the size of the ship but I think once they see how quiet and calm the Haven is, they might change their tune.

I have not experienced it myself but lots of people say that the Haven wasn't quiet and calm at all. Lots of kids screaming and running.

The Haven has always been quiet and calm when we have been there but it isn't on every cruise.

That being said, being in the Haven more things are already included, like more perks. No fees on dining and bev perks or room service.

Can you clarify this? I went to book a Baltic cruise for June, 2018 this morning in an H9. I picked the 4 packages that come with it. There was an additional surcharge of over $280.

Can you clarify this? I went to book a Baltic cruise for June, 2018 this morning in an H9. I picked the 4 packages that come with it. There was an additional surcharge of over $280.

Looks like this JUST changed. There's another active thread discussing it right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

I believe this is a VERY RECENT DEVELOPMENT.

I believe this is a VERY RECENT DEVELOPMENT.

You are correct. As of Midnight EDT, Haven and Suite passengers are now required to pay the 18% service charge on the beverage and dining packages.

The extra charges are definitely going to make us reconsider who we book with. Considering the price of The Haven if booking outright and not bidding on an upgrade... it seems absurd. An unfortunate decision on their part.

I'm hearing good things about the MSC yacht club - I'm going to check it out.

You are correct. As of Midnight EDT, Haven and Suite passengers are now required to pay the 18% service charge on the beverage and dining packages.

The extra charges are definitely going to make us reconsider who we book with. Considering the price of The Haven if booking outright and not bidding on an upgrade... it seems absurd. An unfortunate decision on their part.

I'm hearing good things about the MSC yacht club - I'm going to check it out.

I went to book a Haven Suite for a 9 day trip to the Baltic this morning. I am holding off to see if they revise their policy or come up with a better offer. Why are they nickel & diming me to death when I was just going to spend over $9500?

I had never heard of MSC Yacht Club before today and looked them up today. Similar itinerary to what I want but all of the "good" cabins (Yacht Club) are sold out for the date I want.

I went to book a Haven Suite for a 9 day trip to the Baltic this morning. I am holding off to see if they revise their policy or come up with a better offer. Why are they nickel & diming me to death when I was just going to spend over $9500?

I had never heard of MSC Yacht Club before today and looked them up today. Similar itinerary to what I want but all of the "good" cabins (Yacht Club) are sold out for the date I want.

The 9 night to St Petersburg on the Getaway?! That's the one I was going to book but can't find a similar itinerary on MSC! We were going to be spending close $20,000 with them when all is said and done. If you're going to be offering an upscale product like this you need to make it attractive. Fees upon fees upon fees are discouraging.

The 9 night to St Petersburg on the Getaway?! That's the one I was going to book but can't find a similar itinerary on MSC! We were going to be spending close $20,000 with them when all is said and done. If you're going to be offering an upscale product like this you need to make it attractive. Fees upon fees upon fees are discouraging.

I would be going June, 2018 on the Breakaway. I think that the Breakaway would be a much better ship for the Baltic considering the retractable roof over the Haven. I found a 7 day itinerary, but it only had 1 day in SPB and skipped Helsinki. I need to think about it. $20K? Going for the DOS? I agree that it is discouraging. I called on Saturday and again this morning. Was all set to book until the fees were added in. I am only looking at the H7. I don't need more than that.

I would going June, 2018 on the Breakaway. I think that the Breakaway would be a much better ship for the Baltic considering the retractable roof over the Haven. I found a 7 day itinerary, but it only had 1 day in SPB and skipped Helsinki. I need to think about it. $20K? Going for the DOS?

Ah yes I wholeheartedly agree that the Breakaway is a better choice for that itinerary. At least the Getaway Haven is sheltered, although not enclosed. We're looking at the 2-Bedroom Family Villa, and that's Canadian Dollars, so take ~30% off I guess. Still a lot of money. Actually we were trying to figure out if free-at-sea was a better deal than Canada "at par" and having to pay the service charge on the UBP pushes Canada at Par up to the better value, but if we want to purchase the UBP after, I'm not sure if they will make all 4 of us buy it or what. I'm the only real drinker in the room but my mom would have used the second UBP with the free-at-sea for wine with dinner or a frozen drink in the afternoon.

Our family has never gone for a true "luxury" ship, but from the perspective of the Haven and 3 generations - a (then) 7 year old, DH and I (mid-40s), and parents and in-laws (early and late 70s), we had a blast. The serenity and 5 star service of the Haven combined with the amenities of a large ship was a great combination. As our parents had never been on a cruise, they enjoyed the entertainment and dining choices of a "mega-ship", but the amazing customer service of the Haven made sure that all of their needs were met with a smile. Having been in suites on NCL and Celebrity, the Haven is an amazing option - but it is only one part of a ship. It comes down to your wants and needs, as well as the itinerary. Other than in the wallet, you probably cannot go wrong!

Have fun choosing ~ Amy

Quiet and calm really does depend on the time of year and number of children in the Haven.

Twice I have gone and was basically driven out of the pool and hot tub area as the kids took it completely over from morning to night on Sea days, or whenever at sea. Parents were no where to be seen and there was much running and screaming and throwing of pool toys. Only when they took a water balloon fight indoors and in the elevator and staircase, did the concierge finally say something to them.

Not saying all children are like that, heck I have seen adults act worse than kids. But you do take your chances when you book. MSC tends to have less rooms that will accommodate large families in the Yacht Club, But whether NCL or MSC all it takes is one rambunctious family to ruin the experience.

And, Of course I have seen some children who are well behaved in both venues. So I do not ask for children to be banned, just that their parents are held responsible.

Overall, the good experiences in both venues have far outweighed the bad.