My View: First Semi-Live From Oasis - The Cruise that almost didn't happen!

Would you be able to do a speed test and post results?

Unfortunately, we are no longer on the ship. I forgot to do the speed test this time... Upload of pictures seemed to be similar to Allure last year, when we posted the speed tests on that thread.

I must say, the last sea day had very good internet, which had not been the case during our 2015 Oasis and 2016 Allure cruise. It seemed like there was little or no wifi in the gulf and passing the keys. This time, internet was good and available throughout our cruise. No problems to report!

More beautiful views from Central Park:

Here is one of the "secret" extended CP balconies (those ending in 229 or 629):

9cf242477d0dfa40138de3a3804f7df8.jpg

We are in 10229 the week of Thanksgiving, first time on the Oasis - looking forward to that extended balcony! I enjoyed your great review, tips and photos.

Terri

We are in 10229 the week of Thanksgiving, first time on the Oasis - looking forward to that extended balcony! I enjoyed your great review, tips and photos.

Terri

Thanks, Terri! Enjoy your Thanksgiving cruise on Oasis! We will hopefully be back on our favorite ship Thanksgiving of 2018 :)

Thank you for another great review! I have really enjoyed following along. I will be keeping my eyes open for your next review on the Navigator. :D

Thank you for your kind words, Nancy! Enjoy Koningsdam :)

Terri

We're on that sailing as well! Have been trying to learn as much about the ship as I can since it will be our first sailing on Oasis class. First time in a long time on Royal too so I've got a lot to learn. [emoji1]

Sent from my LG-UK495 using Forums mobile app

Thank you so much for your help in understanding how to follow your cruise review. I enjoyed it very much and I wrote down some key points you made to bring with me on my Oasis trip in October.

One very helpful item was reviewing the Daily Compass you posted for each day. I originally had scheduled the Late (8:00) dining in the MDR, but I just changed that to the MTD at 7:15pm because it looks like we would miss all of the shows that start at 9:00pm if we had dinner at 8:00pm.

Thanks again for your wonderful review and the time you spent writing it. :)

Thank you so much for your help in understanding how to follow your cruise review. I enjoyed it very much and I wrote down some key points you made to bring with me on my Oasis trip in October.

One very helpful item was reviewing the Daily Compass you posted for each day. I originally had scheduled the Late (8:00) dining in the MDR, but I just changed that to the MTD at 7:15pm because it looks like we would miss all of the shows that start at 9:00pm if we had dinner at 8:00pm.

Thanks again for your wonderful review and the time you spent writing it. :)

You are very welcome! I love helping people make the best of their cruise experience! I think we will change all of our future cruises to MTD also, as it affords much more flexibility [emoji846]

Enjoy your cruise in October!

Hi Fello Cruise Mates... Does anyone know when the Formal Nights will be? Typically, they are when you are at sea sailing.

Maria

Assuming you mean the 7/9 cruise in your signature, 2nd and 6th. We'll be on that same cruise (and wife's parents just did that itinerary a few weeks ago).

For those who choose to eat in the windjammer instead of the dining room for dinner, how do you handle tips? Do you prepay or some other method..thanks..:)

Standard tips cover the staff in Windjammer.

For those who choose to eat in the windjammer instead of the dining room for dinner, how do you handle tips? Do you prepay or some other method..thanks..:)

As mentioned above, they're included in the standard tips, whether you prepay or not.

We had a wonderful experience on Freedom two years ago where we ate in the WJ for dinner all 7 nights. We happened to meet the nicest server ever on night one or two and wound up sitting in her section for the rest of the week. It was just like having the same server in the MDR. She knew I drank iced tea and my wife drank water and would bring us drinks as soon as she saw us. We also got to know one of the head waiters/supervisors and he also provided us with excellent, personalized attention. At the end of the week, we gave them each a little something extra.

APDMOM - Thank you for your detailed review! We're sailing Oasis for the first time in April 2018. You mentioned emailing someone to request a small table in the MDR. Do you recall who you emailed? We signed up for MTD and would rather not share ;) Thank you!

... You mentioned emailing someone to request a small table in the MDR. Do you recall who you emailed? We signed up for MTD and would rather not share ;) Thank you!

The email address for dining requests is for traditional dining. With MTD, it is assumed you want your own table. They won't put you with anyone else unless you request it.

So you're saying with traditional dining it is not assumed that you want your own table even if I'm sailing with just my husband and I should reach out through that email that everyone has been mentioning and clarify that we'd like a table for two at our traditional dining timeframe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So you're saying with traditional dining it is not assumed that you want your own table even if I'm sailing with just my husband and I should reach out through that email that everyone has been mentioning and clarify that we'd like a table for two at our traditional dining timeframe?

Correct, if you have opted for traditional, they are likely to put you at a table with strangers.:eek:;)

If you want a table for 2, you should send an email request. If you don't, chances are that you'll be seated at a table with others. There aren't an overwhelmingly amount of tables for 2 available.

If you want a table for 2, you should send an email request. If you don't, chances are that you'll be seated at a table with others. There aren't an overwhelmingly amount of tables for 2 available.

How far out is recommended to email them and let them know your table preferences if you have traditional dining?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever sat with strangers and had a good experience and would recommend it? My husband is the extrovert and I'm sure would love it. I on the other hand don't know how I feel about it...

We have always sat with others and have not had a bad experience, so far. I have always requested a medium size table thru our TA. We had a large table (seats 10) when we first started cruising but it made dinner seem like it took forever.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever sat with strangers and had a good experience and would recommend it? My husband is the extrovert and I'm sure would love it. I on the other hand don't know how I feel about it...

I would say about 90% of our dinner experiences with strangers has been enjoyable.

We have cruised by ourselves and with other couples. When it's just us, we always request a table for 6 or more and have always had wonderful dinner companions. A table for 4 can be risky because you may not be compatible with the other couple. With 6 or more you have a better chance of compatibility. I agree that a table for 10 is a bit much. We had a table for 10 on a 15 night cruise, but one couple never showed up after the first night. (Something we said?) The remaining 8 of us had a wonderful time, looked forward to sharing the days activities with each other. Very much enhanced our cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums