Silly Carnival shore excursion question

Hanzo

We selected a shore excursion from Carnival, it's a catamaran ride with snorkeling. Do they usually loan you everything you need to snorkel or do we have to bring out own stuff? I assumed since the package is snorkeling they'd outfit you but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

They will have it....but we bring our own. I'm not sure if anything has changed over the last few years, but I wasn't impressed with how they "sanitize" the equipment. We've found lipstick on snorkel equipment, and considering they take out several tours a day, I'm not exactly sure how they get it clean between tours.

They will have it....but we bring our own. I'm not sure if anything has changed over the last few years, but I wasn't impressed with how they "sanitize" the equipment. We've found lipstick on snorkel equipment, and considering they take out several tours a day, I'm not exactly sure how they get it clean between tours.

We do the same. They sanitize by dropping things in a solution. Don't know what is in that solution.

We have our own equipment. It is better quality than much of what is offered. Love my full face mask.

We do the same. They sanitize by dropping things in a solution. Don't know what is in that solution.

We have our own equipment. It is better quality than much of what is offered. Love my full face mask.

I saw the solution as well. Someone told me it was just salt water....not sure if this is true everywhere.

We carry our own mask and snorkel, and borrow the fins and vests (they're too big & bulky for packing) - Why? In the past we've had masks that leak due to age, and we found inexpensive mask with snorkels at Walmart (US Divers for under $25 for the pair). We also then know the condition, as well as the cleanliness (as noted above). We've seen where they just take the equipment just used and throw them into a big bin filled with what appears to be soapy water. :(

We carry our own mask and snorkel, and borrow the fins and vests (they're too big & bulky for packing) - Why? In the past we've had masks that leak due to age, and we found inexpensive mask with snorkels at Walmart (US Divers for under $25 for the pair). We also then know the condition, as well as the cleanliness (as noted above). We've seen where they just take the equipment just used and throw them into a big bin filled with what appears to be soapy water. :(

Remember you are not in the U.S. anymore. Cleanliness is not the same. Yes, we were told saltwater, but it's been years.

:) The snorkels sold at the shorex desk are $5 but are simple J-tubes with no valve on the top. You will get several mouthfuls of seawater if you use on of these. For many it is no big deal. For others it impairs the experience. :cool:

if you are going to buy a snorkel always buy a "dry" snorkel.

back to sanitizing, my son is a Captain is St.Thomas, they do not want to make customers sick. I am also a Captain and a certified Scuba diver. I have never seen a dive shop clean with salt water. No matter what country, they are running a business and want return customers. Salt water is filled with parasites, this is why we fresh water wash ourselves and all our equipment.