4 Time Cruiser NCL Rookie. What do I need to know?

4 time cruiser 14 yrs ago (Carnival HAL) NCL Rookie.

Looking to take an NCL Escape cruise to Bermuda in the nearfuture and trying to wrap my head around what to expect. Any advice will be appreciated.

When sailing in the past food and entertainment wereincluded in the cruise fare. Drinks,shore excursions, photos were not. Whatcan I expect with NCL?

In the past, we selected which dining session we wanted toparticipate in (early, late). It appears that has changed drastically in thecruise industry. How do diningreservations work on NCL ?

If you are using various dining rooms during the trip, doyou tip after each meal or are they still putting the tip charge on youraccount at the end of the trip?

It’s been so long since I have cruised not to mention that Iam an NCL rookie, I really don’t even know what to ask. What do I need to know?

There is a ton of information already out there. I would recommend that you go to the NCL website first. Read the FAQ section and read about the service charge/tipping. Check out the free promos you can get, read the Terms and Conditions so that you can see what you get for "free" and what surcharges you will have. Check out the website also to find out what Freestyle is all about. Read through the reviews on this forum (Tip: Google "Gambee NCL reviews").

Once you have done some research you can get some great assistance here on specific questions.

Enjoy.

You can get the free drink package from NCL which is great, but you just have up pay the service charge on the whole package. It's like a hundred bucks to make sure the staff doesn't lose any tips. Dining you can go to any free restaurant, and no tip needed, it's included in the daily service charge. If you go to a specialty restaurant you pay for the meal, and a tip on top of that. We went on Breakaway to Bermuda last September and had a blast. We are looking at doing escape next year to Florida/Bahamas. NCL is nice and laid back which I like. Breakaway was gorgeous but some design things we didn't like. Some bottlenecks, passenger flow was funky at times, and elevator placement was a little funky as well but you'll still have a great time. Oh I thought the food on NCL from free to pay was fantastic. Don't miss Tepanyaki, it's great food and great experience.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

4 time cruiser 14 yrs ago (Carnival HAL) NCL Rookie.

When sailing in the past food and entertainment wereincluded in the cruise fare. Drinks,shore excursions, photos were not. Whatcan I expect with NCL?

It's about the same now. On NCL, you have a lot of dining options, both free and extra cost ("specialty dining"). The free options include the buffet, two Main Dining Rooms (MDR), O'Sheehans (a pub-style food place open 24 hours), and a Chinese noodle place (I think!). One of the MDRs is open for lunch on sea days usually. For the free options you don't reserve a table or time; you eat when you feel like it. There are no formal nights with an enforced dress code. And you don't have to worry about tipping.

For the specialty restaurants you probably need to make reservations, and you can do that starting at 90 days out (for most cabin categories). If you don't have the dining package they charge you and tack on a 18% gratuity. If you get the dining package as a perk NCL is unique in that they will charge you the 18% based on the value of the package. They do the same with the drink package. Our "free" three meal plan cost us about $15 each for the cruise, and the "free" drink plan will cost you about $100 per person for a 7 night cruise. No limit on the amount of drinks you can have on it, so if you drink more than 3 day it comes out to your favor.

If you are using various dining rooms during the trip, doyou tip after each meal or are they still putting the tip charge on youraccount at the end of the trip?

NCL has the added 18% on the pay restaurants, so that's automatic. Drinks you buy will also have the 18% added on.

They also have a daily service charge that is about $13.99 per person per day that is added to your onboard account, and that takes the place of tipping. It makes sense because you aren't at an assigned table each night sitting with the same people, with the same wait staff. It also takes the place of a tip for the cabin stewards. So you really don't have to worry about tipping. (If you use the spa for a massage, have kids in the children's club, etc. it's customary to tip those positions separately).

Room service has a $8 delivery fee, except for continental breakfast items (including coffee) between 6 and 10 am. They also have extra cost items on the room service menu, and if you buy one of those the delivery fee is waived.

We really like the entertainment on NCL. On the larger ships they usually have a Broadway style stage show in a large theater, as well as the musical and variety style shows in a smaller theater. There's a dueling piano show that we like as well, and usually they have a lot of live music on board.

NCL is known for very small pool areas and very crowded areas around the pool. But they are a fun cruise line, with great service.

Heya! I have put together my top 8 tips you should know before cruising with NCL which I think should help :-)

http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-ncl/

There is so much info out there it can be a little overwhelming. I love love love NCL though! I hope you have an amazing time and love it as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When sailing in the past food and entertainment were included in the cruise fare. Drinks,shore excursions, photos were not. What can I expect with NCL?

Food and entertainment are included in your cruise fare. If you don't want to spend any more, you would have a wonderful cruise. Back to the early days of cruising, cruise lines provided the option for "additional fee" dining. NCL is no different and offers a dozen or more "additional fee" dining and entertainment options on the Escape. You don't need any of that to have a wonderful cruise.

In the past, we selected which dining session we wanted to participate in (early, late). It appears that has changed drastically in the cruise industry. How do dining reservations work on NCL ?

Freestyle dining allows you to show up to the complimentary dining rooms when you want. No assigned times. No assigned tables. No reservations required. The complimentary dining rooms include The Manhattan Room, Taste, Savor, O'Shehans, and the Garden Buffet. Reservations are available for the Manhattan Room, Taste, and Savor, but are not necessary. There is never a long wait.

If you are using various dining rooms during the trip, doyou tip after each meal or are they still putting the tip charge on your account at the end of the trip?

You are charged a Daily Service Charge which covers your room steward, waiters, bar tenders and a lot of people working behind the walls that make your cruise wonderful. Additional tips are totally at your discretion.

It’s been so long since I have cruised not to mention that I'am an NCL rookie, I really don’t even know what to ask. What do I need to know?

You are asking all of the right questions.

The Escape is one of NCL's newest MegaShips. If you decide to dining in the "additional fee" dining rooms (Specialty Dining) or select a few free meals as one of your booking options, you need to make reservations online exactly 90 days prior to your cruise departure. Those "additional fee" dining rooms have limited seating are reservations are required.

Exactly 90 days prior to cruise, you should make reservations for the two broadway shows on the Escape, After Midnight and For the Record: The Brat Pack. Each show plays 4 times in the main theater and both are very good.

The Escape is a beautiful ship. We have sailed on her twice and been on her sister ships (Breakaway and Getaway) an additional 5 times.

Eat, Drink, and Have Fun!

Pretty much the same thing

In the past, we selected which dining session we wanted toparticipate in (early, late). It appears that has changed drastically in thecruise industry. How do diningreservations work on NCL ?

Except for specialty restaurants (up charge) you can pretty much just show up. We were on the Gem last week and never had to wait more than 10 min for a table at the MDR.

Still doing that. Last week it was $13.99 per person per day

It’s been so long since I have cruised not to mention that Iam an NCL rookie, I really don’t even know what to ask. What do I need to know?

Just enjoy yourself. Everything will be pretty easy