US Thanksgiving crowd? Empress?

Looking at traveling during US Thanksgiving when I just recovered from a Princess sailing Thanksgiving November 2015 out of Houston. It was great yet a little crazy. So crazy the captain came over the PA system more than once to remind passengers to be mindful of their children's behavior. The interior room across from us had a 4th grader who loved to scream, run, slam doors and always had a plate of pizza in her hand (even when running...I was impressed with her skill). :rolleyes:

I am thinking that might not totally be the case on the November 19 Empress sailing. Or should I just stay home and have turkey and watch the Macy's parade. Unfortunately, due to work schedules the Thanksgiving holiday works best.

I was on a 7-day cruise last year on the Empress. There were a lot of children on the cruise, and the ship doesn't offer a lot to keep them occupied. That said I didn't see anyone misbehaving. I wouldn't hesitate do it again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't cruised over Thanksgiving week but I would think there would be many kids due to the Thanksgiving break, just as there are over other school break times. That being said, if that is the only or best week that works for you I would still go.

I am a teacher and I would not mind a ship full of children IF they were well-supervised and well-behaved.

Whether that happens on your cruise is a crap shoot. If you are willing to bet on good parenting, take that Thanksgiving cruise.

:)

We have sailed over Thanksgiving for the last few years and always enjoy it. The Empress sailing for Thanksgiving this year is a 6 nighter. And is going to Cuba and with the price of $2900 for 2 adults and 2 kids. I don't know how many kids will be on.

Last year Royal was practically giving the rooms away on the Empress. I booked a JS on 3 different dates. The most I paid was $426 for the 2 of us.

We usually cruise over Thanksgiving, but on longer cruises, 11 or 12 days and never had problems. This year we are on Empress over Thanksgiving. If I were a parent, I would not choose this ship, nor the itinerary, but that's me.

By the way, the ship sails Nov 20 to 26, not the 19th.:cool:

We usually cruise over Thanksgiving, but on longer cruises, 11 or 12 days and never had problems. This year we are on Empress over Thanksgiving. If I were a parent, I would not choose this ship, nor the itinerary, but that's me.

By the way, the ship sails Nov 20 to 26, not the 19th.:cool:

I was thinking the same... parents may avoid it. For some reason I keep on making the mistake of saying the 19th! That's when we are thinking of flying! :cool:

I was thinking the same... parents may avoid it. For some reason I keep on making the mistake of saying the 19th! That's when we are thinking of flying! :cool:

You'll just be a day early. Much better than a day late. Come on and join us!:D Every cruise or cabin can be a crap shoot.

I know you said you were thinking about Empress but just wanted to give my two cents. We sailed on the Grandeur over Thanksgiving a few years ago on a 7 night cruise and there were 650 kids. The kids club was not equipped to handle that many kids and we felt some parents put the kids on the ship and left. We love to cruise over Thanksgiving but now only do 11 or 12 day cruises. I would take a chance on the Empress but I would book a balcony so you would have a place for quiet time.

Mom of 4 here : ) When I want a kid free vacation I do not pick a time when kids are out of school...period. If you have already encountered this situation and you are "looking for it" if you know what I mean..AND it bothers you. I would not do it. Its like setting yourself up.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised Thanksgiving week for years, too many children, now we do week or day after Thanksgiving like this year on Navigator , very few children and much cheaper than Thanksgiving week, if we want to do that week we go to Sandals which is adult only resorts