Anthem Power Strip Confiscated

Oh forgot we had a Fitbit. But only the phones charged each day. Charged speaker and iPad once in the week. Some things can charge at night, others in the am while showering, others while getting ready for dinner, others at night. I guess if you have 4 in a room it can get tricky. But unless you're trying to charge everything at night, you'll be ok. Please let the extension cords at home! Medical supply users, let ship know in advance. Looks like they will accommodate you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What the heck is everyone charging? Last we cruised between the 2 of us:

2 phones, 1 shaver, 1 Bluetooth speaker, 1 iPad. Only 2 of those things need to plugged in at any one time. And there were 4 outlets in the room on Harmony. We were fine

For most of that, you can use a multi port USB outlet. We have a 4 USB outlet one, and can plug all 4 devices in at once.

The power draw for a USB device is so small- it's not a big deal for a 4 outlet one- and we can make sure our devices are all ready to go- say for the day we fly home.

So I hope everyone can agree to get a multi USB and leave the power strip at home. Raise your right hand and swear. 🤚

I do not want my cruise (or my life) interrupted by a fire!

^ the circuit breaker is likely to trip before any fire - one of the reason they rather you use their hair drier instead of yours - they are tired of having to reset the breaker every time you bring that big a$$ power hungry one from home.

So I hope everyone can agree to get a multi USB and leave the power strip at home. Raise your right hand and swear. 🤚

I do not want my cruise (or my life) interrupted by a fire!

Absolutely will def invest in one next time

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What the heck is everyone charging? Last we cruised between the 2 of us:

2 phones, 1 shaver, 1 Bluetooth speaker, 1 iPad. Only 2 of those things need to plugged in at any one time. And there were 4 outlets in the room on Harmony. We were fine

It might be fine for 2 people but we always have 4 adults in a room. That means. 4 phones, cameras, fit bit, etc. We have never had a problem but it is a pain to stagger the charging.

We both carry CPAP's & I have always packed a plain extension cord in one of the CPAP bags. I've never any problem with it flying or cruising. I also request an extension cord from special needs just in case. The ships cord though is pretty big & there is only one plug. We have 2 machines to plug in.

We also have two CPAP machines. The last few cruises they have brought us an extension cord but they were not long enough. I carry an extension cord in my bag that does not have surge protection. I have never been approached about it. It came in handy when the ship's cord would not reach the head of the bed.

• 2 months later...

I don't understand why people who need to charge multiple phones or tablets don't buy a 4-6 port charger that can plug into 110-240 volt outlets like this,

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P933OJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503838214&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+6+port

and if you need multiple ac outlets have one of these extension cords without surge protection

https://www.amazon.com/SlimLine-2232-Angled-Extension-White/dp/B000GATBSQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503838648&sr=8-11&keywords=extension+cord

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't seen this addressed recently so thought I would pass this along. Just back from Anthem and my sister was called down to the naughty room. She packed a power strip in her luggage which they took. She said there was a whole bin full of them.

The reason that those items are confiscated, is due to safety. RCCL cannot guarantee items brought on board are safe and will not short out or start a fire.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Forums mobile app

I never understood why people bring a power strip until recently we were on anthem with 3 people in the room. There wasnt enough outlets for all our devices.

I am surprised we had plenty with the multiple usb ports... it was the only trip i didnt need my multi port usb .

I have had my non surge protected extension cords taken way on two different cruise lines. This will be our first cruise on RCI. I will be taking a multi usb charger this time. Does anyone know how many 110 outlets the Explorer of the Seas has, and if there is one by the bed? I would line to take a very small fan that does not have usb.

I am taking one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00P933OJC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1503838214&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+6+port

I have had one of these taken away also. Brand new, still in the package.

https://www.amazon.com/SlimLine-2232-Angled-Extension-White/dp/B000GATBSQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1503838648&sr=8-11&keywords=extension+cord

Edited by Steve and Sharon

Do you think that this PowerCurve Mini Surge Protector would be confiscated? I only see extension cords on the list of prohibited items, not surge protectors.

https://www.amazon.com/360-Electrical-36053-Protector-Rotating/dp/B00C0QEUCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503953049&sr=8-1&keywords=powercurve+mini+surge+protector

For Royal's list of prohibited items see:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Do you think that this PowerCurve Mini Surge Protector would be confiscated? I only see extension cords on the list of prohibited items, not surge protectors.

https://www.amazon.com/360-Electrical-36053-Protector-Rotating/dp/B00C0QEUCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503953049&sr=8-1&keywords=powercurve+mini+surge+protector

I doubt it. This is very similar to what we have used in the past.

For Royal's list of prohibited items see:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Regardless of whether it is on RCI's prohibited list, or whether anyone has used one previously, please do not use any item that has a surge protector in it onboard ships. They are not necessary, and are a potential fire hazard. In fact, the more times you use a surge protector on a ship, the more likely it is to fail. And the failure does not require you to do anything wrong, or even for the surge protector to have a problem. Another electrical problem anywhere on the ship can cause a perfectly operating surge protector to fail and catch fire.

Just wondering (primary device I intend to use is listed after this one; I'm just curious): would this pose any problems with security (yes, I know it says "surge protection" in the title; I'm asking if security would recognize/confiscate it)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, I also have this (actually, two; I liked the one I have so much, I bought a second one specifically to take on the cruise):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HIR9R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side note: I don't understand the concern with surge protection. I would think that the overall amp draw would be the concern - that, and the ungrounded circuitry used on cruise ships (in which case, plugging in three-pronged plugs would potentially be the problem, in case of a short).

Just wondering (primary device I intend to use is listed after this one; I'm just curious): would this pose any problems with security (yes, I know it says "surge protection" in the title; I'm asking if security would recognize/confiscate it)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, I also have this (actually, two; I liked the one I have so much, I bought a second one specifically to take on the cruise):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2HIR9R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Side note: I don't understand the concern with surge protection. I would think that the overall amp draw would be the concern - that, and the ungrounded circuitry used on cruise ships (in which case, plugging in three-pronged plugs would potentially be the problem, in case of a short).

It has been reported here that the Belkin sometimes manages to get by a security screen. The Anker, having only a two prong plug is not surge protected.

Surge protection has nothing to do with amperage draw, but with excessive voltage. Overcurrent is taken care of by the circuit breaker in the ship's wiring. Ship's wiring is not "ungrounded", but a "floating" ground, meaning that the third prong of the plug does in fact connect to ground wiring, that goes back to the neutral point of the wye wound generator, and does not use the hull as ground. The problem with surge protectors onboard ships is caused by this "floating" ground, where both of the normal conductors (the "hot" and the "neutral" in house wiring) are at voltages above the ground wire (house wiring has the neutral and ground at the same potential). Therefore, when a light fixture or a motor somewhere else on the ship goes to ground, the voltage between the ground pin and the "hot" and "neutral" in the surge protector can go in the reverse direction, in other words the voltage in the ground wire is higher than the normal conductors. Even if this reverse voltage is less than the clamping voltage (the voltage where the MOV semi-conductors in the surge protector switch on and shunt the voltage to ground), and is of no danger to your electronics (unless they have a ground fault as well), the MOV's are not designed to accept reverse voltage and can go into "thermal runaway", where even a small amount of current provides a large amount of heat, and the surge protector will burn.

Here is a post from an EE, who didn't believe my crusade against surge protectors, and who researched it himself, and is now a believer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

And to me, the final question as to why surge protectors are not needed is the fact that none of the ship's electronics, whether computers, the POS registers, the navigation equipment, or the engine room automation is protected by surge protectors, and I've been on several ships that have been struck by lightning and nothing has failed. Lightning passes directly through the hull and does not enter the electrical system. And, the ship steps voltages down in 3-4 steps, unlike the utility pole transformers that when they fail can send up to 10k volts to your house. Multiple ship's transformers would have to fail simultaneously to do this.

^ the circuit breaker is likely to trip before any fire - one of the reason they rather you use their hair drier instead of yours - they are tired of having to reset the breaker every time you bring that big a$$ power hungry one from home.

I will use their hair dryer when they supply a decent one. Speaking as someone who has long, slightly wavy hair, the dryers onboard are horrible.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

So is the deciding factor for confiscation the 3rd ground prong?

I can't say what RCI has told security personnel to look for as far as confiscation. Many lines don't want to trust to imperfect training of non-technical personnel to recognize a surge protector, so they simply ban all power strips. What I am saying is that without a third prong, the device cannot be surge protected. My position is that regardless of whether an item is or might be confiscated, if it is known to be a hazard, why would anyone bring one?

It has been reported here that the Belkin sometimes manages to get by a security screen. The Anker, having only a two prong plug is not surge protected.

I actually purchased the Belkin for my normal travel (even hotel rooms can be light on accessible/convenient outlets), and the Anker for the cruise, so I'm not really worried about the Belkin; it was purely curiosity.

Surge protection has nothing to do with amperage draw, but with excessive voltage. Overcurrent is taken care of by the circuit breaker in the ship's wiring. Ship's wiring is not "ungrounded", but a "floating" ground, meaning that the third prong of the plug does in fact connect to ground wiring, that goes back to the neutral point of the wye wound generator, and does not use the hull as ground. The problem with surge protectors onboard ships is caused by this "floating" ground, where both of the normal conductors (the "hot" and the "neutral" in house wiring) are at voltages above the ground wire (house wiring has the neutral and ground at the same potential). Therefore, when a light fixture or a motor somewhere else on the ship goes to ground, the voltage between the ground pin and the "hot" and "neutral" in the surge protector can go in the reverse direction, in other words the voltage in the ground wire is higher than the normal conductors. Even if this reverse voltage is less than the clamping voltage (the voltage where the MOV semi-conductors in the surge protector switch on and shunt the voltage to ground), and is of no danger to your electronics (unless they have a ground fault as well), the MOV's are not designed to accept reverse voltage and can go into "thermal runaway", where even a small amount of current provides a large amount of heat, and the surge protector will burn.

Here is a post from an EE, who didn't believe my crusade against surge protectors, and who researched it himself, and is now a believer:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48102515&postcount=10

See, I appreciate the opportunity to learn new things. I'm a ChemE, not an EE (I could talk much more eloquently about the RO system than the electrical system...). I'm not at all familiar with the components of surge protectors, and my minimal google searching didn't turn up that kind of detailed explanation.

And to me, the final question as to why surge protectors are not needed is the fact that none of the ship's electronics, whether computers, the POS registers, the navigation equipment, or the engine room automation is protected by surge protectors, and I've been on several ships that have been struck by lightning and nothing has failed. Lightning passes directly through the hull and does not enter the electrical system. And, the ship steps voltages down in 3-4 steps, unlike the utility pole transformers that when they fail can send up to 10k volts to your house. Multiple ship's transformers would have to fail simultaneously to do this.

I'm really not concerned with the *need* for a surge protector on the ship; if anything, the issue is that so many such devices now have surge protection built in, and it is more and more difficult to find them *without* surge protection.

The Anker should more than suffice for everything we'll have, and will be much more convenient.

I'm really not concerned with the *need* for a surge protector on the ship; if anything, the issue is that so many such devices now have surge protection built in, and it is more and more difficult to find them *without* surge protection.

The Anker should more than suffice for everything we'll have, and will be much more convenient.

While a lot of devices claim "surge protection", what they are actually talking about is "voltage regulation". Surge protection creates a short circuit from the conductors to ground when the voltage gets too high, but most USB chargers, not having a ground pin cannot shunt to ground, so what they do is shut off the output to the electronics when the input voltage gets too high. I've found that most "pure" USB chargers have voltage regulation, while those that combine USB ports with power outlets have surge protection.