Alcohol Purchased for Room

Cruising out of Galveston....if we purchase alcohol ahead of time from online funshops, so the $90 a liter stuff, will it be in our room waiting for us when we board the ship or is it not there until the 2nd day similar to the cheers program?

New York has the same rule for Cheers as Galveston, Would it be the same for liquor purchased from the funshops. Delivery day 2?

When we cruised out of NY (on NCL) our bottle was in the cabin when we boarded.

New York has the same rule for Cheers as Galveston, Would it be the same for liquor purchased from the funshops. Delivery day 2?

No NYC does not have the same liquor service laws as TX. What prevents Carnival from having Cheers available in NYC is a tax law that stipulates that sale/sin tax must be collected on the full package price, something CCL does not want to do.

No NYC does not have the same liquor service laws as TX. What prevents Carnival from having Cheers available in NYC is a tax law that stipulates that sale/sin tax must be collected on the full package price, something CCL does not want to do.

The person you quoted said New York has the same rule for Cheers as Galveston. Which is true, both ports have the same Cheers rule. They did not say Texas has the same liquor laws as New York.

Sailing Carnival out of Florida .... pre-purchased bottles of alcohol were waiting for us in the cabin when we boarded.

I can only speak for FLA - never sailed out of Texas.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742clear.png?emoji-bottle-pop-616

When I purchased mine it asked me when did I want it delivered? I said first day as it was one of the options available
The OP's question was in regards to the Galveston port. Texas & NY have unique liquor laws that prevent the Cheers program from being available on day 1 of their cruises. The OP wanted to know if it applied to alcohol pre-purchased from the FunShops as well. The rest of the ports haven't changed.

Texas law prohibits hard liquor sales on Sunday and bars and restaurants from selling any alcohol before noon on Sunday unless food is served.

We have sailings here on Saturday, Thursday and Monday. Liquor sold and delivered to the buyer in Texas requires a state tax paid if the delivery happens US waters, or within twelve miles.

Twelve miles from our shoreline the bars close for a changeover of bottles and beer coolers and they could deliver it then, but the crew is busy with other jobs.

In lieu of Carnival charging or absorbing the tax they wait until day two. When you order the bottles online a delivery date is specified as well as am/pm.

The laws here that govern that are over fifty years old.Texas didn't enforce it by collecting tax on bottles carried off until 2015.

My typing on the phone is horrible.

Yep, day 2. The ridiculous day one liquor laws are exactly why we sailed out of Galveston for the last time this past January. It's NOLA or Florida from now on for us. (Sailed out of both and being able to have Cheers on night one is amazing!) Galveston is our home (closest) port, but we just can't with their archaic laws. We already have to deal with it here in OK (liquor stores cannot be open on Sundays, they have to be closed on holidays (even Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc, stores must close at 9 PM, blah blah blah. We recently made a little progress when a bill passed allowing individual counties to decide whether or not stores can be open on Sundays, but we have a long way to go.

Yep, day 2. The ridiculous day one liquor laws are exactly why we sailed out of Galveston for the last time this past January. It's NOLA or Florida from now on for us. (Sailed out of both and being able to have Cheers on night one is amazing!) Galveston is our home (closest) port, but we just can't with their archaic laws. We already have to deal with it here in OK (liquor stores cannot be open on Sundays, they have to be closed on holidays (even Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc, stores must close at 9 PM, blah blah blah. We recently made a little progress when a bill passed allowing individual counties to decide whether or not stores can be open on Sundays, but we have a long way to go.
If you drink wine, you could always take your allowed bottle per drinking-age adult on board to help get you by. If a few liquor laws like that are your state's biggest problems, you're doing better than you think you are. It could be worse, much worse. Trust me, as a resident of IL, I know.

I remember a time when almost every store out there was closed on Sundays. Not because they were forced to, but because they wanted to. And there weren't any open 24/7. People got by just fine. One of my town's laws prevented any alcohol from being sold until noon on Sunday. It just changed this past April, but I didn't have a problem with it. If you wanted alcohol on Sunday, you had to be prepared and buy it prior, or wait until noon. It really isn't that bad.

The person you quoted said New York has the same rule for Cheers as Galveston. Which is true, both ports have the same Cheers rule. They did not say Texas has the same liquor laws as New York.

The OP's question was in regards to the Galveston port. Texas & NY have unique liquor laws that prevent the Cheers program from being available on day 1 of their cruises. The OP wanted to know if it applied to alcohol pre-purchased from the FunShops as well. The rest of the ports haven't changed.

I added a comment that clearly referred to Florida because so many varied people read these threads - especially with the title of this one - and my comment was directed at abating any confusion the Florida cruisers may feel.

I added a comment that clearly referred to Florida because so many varied people read these threads - especially with the title of this one - and my comment was directed at abating any confusion the Florida cruisers may feel.

And I, for one, am grateful. We ordered Cheers for our upcoming Magic in July and I would have been ticked if I didn't get what I paid for the 1st day. So...thanks. :D

So now, how do we get it in Florida? Is it just a sticker in our room or is it already on our card when they swipe it?