Second Time is a Charm?

Hi Cruisers,

It has been 4 years since my last cruise. The first cruise was a horrific and for months I was done with cruises but think I should try again and do things differently this time.

To start, I get terrible motion sickness.

Here is where I went wrong:

- I booked a non refundable rate. When the prices dropped i could not get credits or anything. I was locked into the price.

- The room given to me was windowless, in the front of the ship. I felt every wave and movement in the cabin. Oh, and we sailed through a hurricane.

- I was told I would never be in my room so I got a room with no windows - mistake! I love naps! And the ship was fully booked so i couldn't change my room.

- I prefer not to dine with strangers and got seated with 2 people that talked about barfing while I tried to eat dinner while seasick.

I plan on trying to cruise again for my wedding anniversary in Feb. I will be getting a patch (I hear good things) to ease motion sickness and will also bring Dramamine just in case. I am shopping for a nice room with a balcony so i can get fresh air on my face if i don't feel well and will likely not purchase any drink packages.

I am also trying Royal instead of Carnival this time around.

Would really appreciate any advice you can provide to help make this second time a memorable trip for all the right reasons.

The good news is that all the issues you had with the first cruise are fixable and you already seem to have a plan for most of them.

1. Assuming you book under North American rules, you can book a refundable option. RCCL is rolling out a non-refundable option for non-suites, just make sure you book under the refundable option. It will be more expensive, and you don't get an OBC bonus, but the deposit will be refundable. However, be aware that for SUITES, they are moving to make those deposits non-refundable, but unless I am completely wrong, you can still take advantage of price drops.

Just so you know, if you want to take advantage of price drops, call the cruise line directly (or if you book through a travel agent, your travel agent). They can re-price the cruise without you having to cancel and re-book.

2. You already know what to do about the windowless room and location. I'm not subject to sea-sickness so location for me on the ship doesn't matter too much, but what I've heard is low and center. Balconies won't be the lowest deck possible, but likely still doable. Can't do much about the Captain taking the ship through a hurricane though, but they generally try to avoid those.

3. Always assume that the room you book and have confirmed is the one you are going to get. In your case, don't go for a Guarantee cabin, no matter what price saving you get. Get a confirmed balcony on the lowest deck possible, as close to the center as you can. You might have to pay extra for that, but not too much more. That way you can enjoy your naps.

4. In regards to your table mates, you have two options. Either go with My Time Dining and get a table for just your own party, or if you prefer traditional dining at a set time and table with the same wait staff, send a request to the ship to be seated with only your party. When you board, you can always go to the dining room on embarkation day and find out where you are seated and request a change at that time.

As for the sea sickness, talk to your doctor and find out what they think as well. I would be very cautious about combining a patch and a pill - drug interactions can be unpredictable. I'll leave more specifics to the experts on sea-sickness, as I am not one.

Lower level and mid-ship. It's engineering! That's where you'll get the least motion.

Good for you for trying again. You might live to regret it when you find yourself hooked...

The patch works wonders for motion sickness and lasts for three days. There are some side effects that you may experience (for me mostly dry mouth and after wearing the patch for about two weeks, I start getting a bit of blurry vision), but they more than make up for not dealing with the constant state of nausea. If you do feel some motion sickness on the patch, it's not common for me but it can happen, a Dramamine will help, but it will also put me right to sleep.

I've been on two cruises before (Antarctica and Alaska) and I'm going to the Baltics next week. The patch isn't perfect, but it can take care of the bulk of your motion sickness symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lower level and mid-ship. It's engineering! That's where you'll get the least motion.

Good for you for trying again. You might live to regret it when you find yourself hooked...

Lower level... interesting. I was going middle of the ship for sure but thought I would feel better up higher. Will look for lower rooms. Thank you! And hope I can redeem myself from the last cruise.

The patch works wonders for motion sickness and lasts for three days. There are some side effects that you may experience (for me mostly dry mouth and after wearing the patch for about two weeks, I start getting a bit of blurry vision), but they more than make up for not dealing with the constant state of nausea. If you do feel some motion sickness on the patch, it's not common for me but it can happen, a Dramamine will help, but it will also put me right to sleep.

I've been on two cruises before (Antarctica and Alaska) and I'm going to the Baltics next week. The patch isn't perfect, but it can take care of the bulk of your motion sickness symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

@malaprops- I can handle dry mouth. Its a helluva lot better than sea sickness. The cruise I am looking into is a 5 night so i think 2 patches would suffice. I will carry dramamine- i may be immune as they don't make me very sleepy.

The good news is that all the issues you had with the first cruise are fixable and you already seem to have a plan for most of them.

1. Assuming you book under North American rules, you can book a refundable option. RCCL is rolling out a non-refundable option for non-suites, just make sure you book under the refundable option. It will be more expensive, and you don't get an OBC bonus, but the deposit will be refundable. However, be aware that for SUITES, they are moving to make those deposits non-refundable, but unless I am completely wrong, you can still take advantage of price drops.

Just so you know, if you want to take advantage of price drops, call the cruise line directly (or if you book through a travel agent, your travel agent). They can re-price the cruise without you having to cancel and re-book.

2. You already know what to do about the windowless room and location. I'm not subject to sea-sickness so location for me on the ship doesn't matter too much, but what I've heard is low and center. Balconies won't be the lowest deck possible, but likely still doable. Can't do much about the Captain taking the ship through a hurricane though, but they generally try to avoid those.

3. Always assume that the room you book and have confirmed is the one you are going to get. In your case, don't go for a Guarantee cabin, no matter what price saving you get. Get a confirmed balcony on the lowest deck possible, as close to the center as you can. You might have to pay extra for that, but not too much more. That way you can enjoy your naps.

4. In regards to your table mates, you have two options. Either go with My Time Dining and get a table for just your own party, or if you prefer traditional dining at a set time and table with the same wait staff, send a request to the ship to be seated with only your party. When you board, you can always go to the dining room on embarkation day and find out where you are seated and request a change at that time.

As for the sea sickness, talk to your doctor and find out what they think as well. I would be very cautious about combining a patch and a pill - drug interactions can be unpredictable. I'll leave more specifics to the experts on sea-sickness, as I am not one.

This was SOOOO helpful! Thank you so much!

I will def consult a doc about the meds.

I was going to book online but I think i will call a travel agent to get all my wants and needs settled.

You're the best!

Are you thinking of sailing Anthem out of New York in February?

Anthem is a great ship but if you are concerned about seasickness, Anthem may not be the best option, but if you do get a balcony on deck 6 (lowest level of balconies).

Oasis class out of Fort Lauderdale or Port Canaveral would be larger and more stable with a little less concern about storms. Again a lower level ocean view balcony or perhaps a Central Park balcony would work best.

Good luck with your cruise shopping! :)

Are you thinking of sailing Anthem out of New York in February?

Anthem is a great ship but if you are concerned about seasickness, Anthem may not be the best option, but if you do get a balcony on deck 6 (lowest level of balconies).

Oasis class out of Fort Lauderdale or Port Canaveral would be larger and more stable with a little less concern about storms. Again a lower level ocean view balcony or perhaps a Central Park balcony would work best.

Good luck with your cruise shopping! :)

I am looking at the western carribbean cruise which leaves Miami on Feb 12. Havent decided yet. Would love to go on my birthday which is in Nov but DH just laid off so need more time to save the pennies.

I have heard the bigger the ship, the less you feel so would def look out for the bigger ships!

Biker, whose seasickness seemed to have been cured by more and more cruising.:eek:

Mine too, I was seasick some on my first cruise and some smaller amounts on later cruises. I have now done transatlantics with no issues.

@malaprops- I can handle dry mouth. Its a helluva lot better than sea sickness. The cruise I am looking into is a 5 night so i think 2 patches would suffice. I will carry dramamine- i may be immune as they don't make me very sleepy.

Yeah, 2 patches should do it. If you will be flying and also get sick on airplanes (or every single moving vehicle like I do!), you should put the patch on about 4 hours before your flight so you are covered end to end. :)

I'm not sure what ship you're thinking about, but if it's the Empress you most certainly will be sick. If it's definitely out of Miami, go for Adventure or Navigator. The Navigator on 2/20 has a great price for a balcony right now (I think so anyway). E2, deck 6, center of the "hump".

I'm not sure what ship you're thinking about, but if it's the Empress you most certainly will be sick. If it's definitely out of Miami, go for Adventure or Navigator. The Navigator on 2/20 has a great price for a balcony right now (I think so anyway). E2, deck 6, center of the "hump".

It is totally on Empress. Looking at other ships now- thanks for the heads up!

My daughter (19) gets motion sickness we have found that Bonine works with NO drowsiness. I buy the generic online Meclizine HCL 25mg Generic For Bonine Chewable Tablets 100 ea by Rugby and they work great!

Lower level... interesting. I was going middle of the ship for sure but thought I would feel better up higher. Will look for lower rooms. Thank you! And hope I can redeem myself from the last cruise.

I have always heard middle from front to back and middle from top to bottom

My daughter (19) gets motion sickness we have found that Bonine works with NO drowsiness. I buy the generic online Meclizine HCL 25mg Generic For Bonine Chewable Tablets 100 ea by Rugby and they work great!

I knew I suffered from motion sickness even before our first cruise in 2004. I spoke to my doctor about it, and he would not prescribe the patch for me (I wasn't crazy about the side effects anyway), but told me to take Bonine. I take it the night before our flight and every night before bed, including the night we arrive home. I had stopped taking it toward the end of that first cruise, and suffered from sea legs for days. Forgot to take it before setting sail on Mariner. We were at the front of the ship when she set sail. That was a mistake, so missed dinner and the shows that night. I took two Bonine and slept it off. Took Bonine before bed the rest of the cruise and was fine. If I'm going to do something that may set me off (like a sailboat), I'll take another one before I go. The good news is that Bonine doesn't make me too sleepy; taking it before bed means I've slept any sleepiness off.

We've always had balconies -- either midship or near the aft. Haven't been on any deck lower than 6, nor higher than 9.

Don't forget to come back to let us know what you've booked and how you enjoyed your second cruise. We understand -- cruising is not for everyone!

I knew I suffered from motion sickness even before our first cruise in 2004. I spoke to my doctor about it, and he would not prescribe the patch for me (I wasn't crazy about the side effects anyway), but told me to take Bonine. I take it the night before our flight and every night before bed, including the night we arrive home. I had stopped taking it toward the end of that first cruise, and suffered from sea legs for days. Forgot to take it before setting sail on Mariner. We were at the front of the ship when she set sail. That was a mistake, so missed dinner and the shows that night. I took two Bonine and slept it off. Took Bonine before bed the rest of the cruise and was fine. If I'm going to do something that may set me off (like a sailboat), I'll take another one before I go. The good news is that Bonine doesn't make me too sleepy; taking it before bed means I've slept any sleepiness off.

We've always had balconies -- either midship or near the aft. Haven't been on any deck lower than 6, nor higher than 9.

Don't forget to come back to let us know what you've booked and how you enjoyed your second cruise. We understand -- cruising is not for everyone!

Never heard of Bonine but will look into it. There is nothing worse being seasick with nowhere to go to relieve it! That's nuts. After my cruise I had vertigo for 2 weeks. DEF going to take every possible precaution to ensure i have a good time!