Post cruise car rental mustang convertible

parkesyau

Ok so this may sound like a silly question given all the car rental agencies but post cruise where can I get a Ford Mustang convertible hire? It's a surprise for my husband he will be driving us from Miami to Orlando one way. I have looked at sixt, Alamo and hertz which all seem nearby. Happy to uber it to them when we disembark.

I've read threads where some car agencies have really long waits post cruise etc. is one better than the next? Also I know the mustang may not be guaranteed but has any one used any of these three to safety say the have them or we will get an alternative

I am leaning more to Alamo being a big company but just not sure

I have received them from Hertz in the past and pretty sure others have them as well.

One thing that might make it more readily available is instead of picking up car from locations that service the port (I know Hertz has a location not at the airport as well as others) would be to take a taxi or Uber to the airport and pick up car there although fees are usually higher. I would think there is a larger selection and supply at the airport locations.

Another important thing to note is that if you have luggage coming from a cruise, you may end up with that in the back seat of the car because the trunk is not very large in those cars.

The best way to find out how likely it is to get the car is to try and call the actual rental location and see what they can tell you.

Either way, good luck with your quest and enjoy your trip.

Jed

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttle service between POM and MIA (show the driver your reservation paperwork). You should experience no delays picking up the car at MIA. If you get a better deal from someone else a taxi from POM to MIA is only $27+tip (flat rate fare - ignore the meter) or under $20 for UberX :)

A convertible in some months in Florida can be a bit uncomfortable (temperature). However, OP didn't say when she is renting.

And in any month make sure you use sunscreen and a hat and sunglasses (DH has a convertible so I speak from experience).

Ok so this may sound like a silly question given all the car rental agencies but post cruise where can I get a Ford Mustang convertible hire? It's a surprise for my husband he will be driving us from Miami to Orlando one way. I have looked at sixt, Alamo and hertz which all seem nearby. Happy to uber it to them when we disembark.

I've read threads where some car agencies have really long waits post cruise etc. is one better than the next? Also I know the mustang may not be guaranteed but has any one used any of these three to safety say the have them or we will get an alternative

I am leaning more to Alamo being a big company but just not sure

First of all, driving a convertible on the Interstate Highways for over three hours is not a pleasant experience. If you are going to be in Orlando for a couple days you should consider picking up a more comfortable car to drive to Orlando, then trade it in for a convertible once there.

I hope you pack really light because the trunk opening in a convertible is not large enough to push one large suitcase into and then the depth is cut in half when the top is down. Your only option for larger suitcases is to put them in the small backseat, so I hope you don't have any children. Then you would have to choose between your luggage or the children. Also, there is zero leg room in the backseat unless your husband is about 5' 1" (155 cm).

Both Alamo and National are owned by Enterprise and they all work together sharing cars back and forth, so yeah, they are a major company. While Sixt is very popular and successful in Europe, they are struggling in the US just trying to understand American consumers and how business is done here. If you rent a premium car from Sixt, they will authorize your credit card for a $999 deposit, so you better have plenty of extra available credit on your credit card(s). Alamo will authorize the cost of the rental, plus 20% or sometimes just the cost of the rental. Enterprise usually authorizes the cost of the rental, plus $200-$250.

Right now I am driving a convertible Camaro from Alamo and I'm ready to take it back and get a sedan. It's been raining here in Ft Lauderdale every day for almost two weeks, so I have only had the top down twice, the day I picked it up and yesterday. This time of year in South Florida it is getting too hot for a convertible and it is only going to get hotter over the next three months. The day I drove it home I was driving west straight into the sun and I got a nice sunburn on my forehead and balding head, so be sure he has a cap or sunscreen. The interior of the car is very squashed and claustrophobic with the top down with lots of blind spots so you have to be very careful when backing out or turning. I've discovered a convertible is only enjoyable when the weather is nice, not too hot and no rain.

First of all, driving a convertible on the Interstate Highways for over three hours is not a pleasant experience. If you are going to be in Orlando for a couple days you should consider picking up a more comfortable car to drive to Orlando, then trade it in for a convertible once there.

I hope you pack really light because the trunk opening in a convertible is not large enough to push one large suitcase into and then the depth is cut in half when the top is down. Your only option for larger suitcases is to put them in the small backseat, so I hope you don't have any children. Then you would have to choose between your luggage or the children. Also, there is zero leg room in the backseat unless your husband is about 5' 1" (155 cm).

Both Alamo and National are owned by Enterprise and they all work together sharing cars back and forth, so yeah, they are a major company. While Sixt is very popular and successful in Europe, they are struggling in the US just trying to understand American consumers and how business is done here. If you rent a premium car from Sixt, they will authorize your credit card for a $999 deposit, so you better have plenty of extra available credit on your credit card(s). Alamo will authorize the cost of the rental, plus 20% or sometimes just the cost of the rental. Enterprise usually authorizes the cost of the rental, plus $200-$250.

Right now I am driving a convertible Camaro from Alamo and I'm ready to take it back and get a sedan. It's been raining here in Ft Lauderdale every day for almost two weeks, so I have only had the top down twice, the day I picked it up and yesterday. This time of year in South Florida it is getting too hot for a convertible and it is only going to get hotter over the next three months. The day I drove it home I was driving west straight into the sun and I got a nice sunburn on my forehead and balding head, so be sure he has a cap or sunscreen. The interior of the car is very squashed and claustrophobic with the top down with lots of blind spots so you have to be very careful when backing out or turning. I've discovered a convertible is only enjoyable when the weather is nice, not too hot and no rain.

Uh oh I think I have a lot to consider

We will be travelling in April and while I know as soon as we hit the interstate the roof will go up he wanted his 20 or 30 minutes of feeling special haha. I'm sure our kids will complain they can't hear their iPads. We will have a 6 and 8 year old with us and I guess one suitcase but now I'm not sure what will fit and what won't

It really is to get us to disneyworld😣Once there we will hand the car back and use their shuttles. He really likes the Ford mustangs

What about around south beach way is there any of the big companies that have a large selection or are they all in hotels

We are thinking driving the coastal route for a bit before cutting inland so makes sense

Would rather avoid heading back to the airport

It's more of a novelty for a bit with the kids but yeah the Ford mustangs are his dream

What about around south beach way is there any of the big companies that have a large selection or are they all in hotels

We are thinking driving the coastal route for a bit before cutting inland so makes sense

It's more of a novelty for a bit with the kids but yeah the Ford mustangs are his dream

I don't understand your first sentence. Large selection of what, rental cars?

I hate to burst your bubble, but again, you are dreaming and not in reality when you talk about driving "the coastal" route. With the exception of a few short stretches, for the most part, A1A is nothing but tall buildings and lots of stoplights pretty much all the way north of West Palm Beach (75 miles). Also, you do understand that South Beach is on a barrier island and not the mainland coast, right?

I'm sorry, but if you have two children a convertible is just not going to work. The trunk with the top down will not hold any more than a medium sized, flat suitcase (not stuffy).

Is it possible to come in an extra day before the cruise? That way he could have one day to get a convertible and really enjoy it. Perhaps even driving down to the Keys, cross 7 Mile Bridge, turn around and come back.

As you have probably already discovered, though, April is peak, peak season in South Florida so hotels and convertibles are expensive.

Is it possible to come in an extra day before the cruise? That way he could have one day to get a convertible and really enjoy it. Perhaps even driving down to the Keys, cross 7 Mile Bridge, turn around and come back.

As you have probably already discovered, though, April is peak, peak season in South Florida so hotels and convertibles are expensive.

Thanks for that we will be there the last week of April seems pretty affordable for us at $70 rental with Alamo for the 24 hours. Much cheaper than a flight for 4

In regard to driving along the coast apologies if I pissed anyone off we haven't been to Miami before so I am not being ignorant I am just trying to plan for our family. Hence asking on here. We are on holidays and in no rush to get to Orlando in 3 hours flat.

I've seen some YouTube clips and people seem to fit one or two medium suitcases in the boot no problem. Should be fine for us we are packing light and shopping once we get to Orlando

Thankyou for all your help I may just rent one from somewhere near the port then and make it convenient and enjoy a small stretch of the "coastal route" from ft Lauderdale to palm beach

I don't understand your first sentence. Large selection of what, rental cars?

I hate to burst your bubble, but again, you are dreaming and not in reality when you talk about driving "the coastal" route. With the exception of a few short stretches, for the most part, A1A is nothing but tall buildings and lots of stoplights pretty much all the way north of West Palm Beach (75 miles). Also, you do understand that South Beach is on a barrier island and not the mainland coast, right?

I'm sorry, but if you have two children a convertible is just not going to work. The trunk with the top down will not hold any more than a medium sized, flat suitcase (not stuffy).

I have never been to Miami hence asking for advice in here. I'm sorry if I offended you but not living in reality. thats why I am on here asking these questions and seeking advice.

We are only coming with one suitcase until we hit Orlando so trunk space is no issue. Kids just wanted the novelty for an hour or so seeing as we give it back in Orlando.

It was just a thought for a gift for him otherwise we would get the smallest economy far which I imagine has the same amount of room

Thankyou for your input I'll try and research s bit more before I say anything that may annoy you regarding the coastal route

You could always go for a hard top option as well. My 5 year old grandson fits fine with his car seat in the back of "Grandma's race car". The thrill is still there but the ride is quieter and climate controlled? Hope you can work something out.

Where do they pick you up once you disembark the ship? And how often do they run the shuttle service?

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttle service between POM and MIA (show the driver your reservation paperwork). You should experience no delays picking up the car at MIA. If you get a better deal from someone else a taxi from POM to MIA is only $27+tip (flat rate fare - ignore the meter) or under $20 for UberX :)

I have never been to Miami hence asking for advice in here. I'm sorry if I offended you but not living in reality. thats why I am on here asking these questions and seeking advice.

We are only coming with one suitcase until we hit Orlando so trunk space is no issue. Kids just wanted the novelty for an hour or so seeing as we give it back in Orlando.

It was just a thought for a gift for him otherwise we would get the smallest economy far which I imagine has the same amount of room

Thankyou for your input I'll try and research s bit more before I say anything that may annoy you regarding the coastal route

You are not annoying me. I am trying to help you, but sometimes I can be rather blunt in an effort to jolt people into reality. Again, I am currently driving a convertible Camaro and I promise you it's impossible for you to get two suitcases into the trunk with the top down. I am told the Mustang has slightly more room with the top down, but not that much more. I don't want to crush your dreams, but I don't want you to get here and have a bad experience. So if it goes badly, remember, you were warned.

Here's a youtube time lapsed video of the drive from Ft Lauderdale to Miami Beach so the ocean would be on the left side of your screen. The 2 or 3 miles of Ft Lauderdale Beach that start the video are great, but after you cross over the 17th Street Causeway at Port Everglades the drive is not so glamorous.

You are not annoying me. I am trying to help you, but sometimes I can be rather blunt in an effort to jolt people into reality. Again, I am currently driving a convertible Camaro and I promise you it's impossible for you to get two suitcases into the trunk with the top down. I am told the Mustang has slightly more room with the top down, but not that much more. I don't want to crush your dreams, but I don't want you to get here and have a bad experience. So if it goes badly, remember, you were warned.

Here's a youtube time lapsed video of the drive from Ft Lauderdale to Miami Beach so the ocean would be on the left side of your screen. The 2 or 3 miles of Ft Lauderdale Beach that start the video are great, but after you cross over the 17th Street Causeway at Port Everglades the drive is not so glamorous.

That's great Thankyou I didn't think to look it up on you tube. Thanks for the warning I'll see if I can convince him into a hard top maybe or else travel very light.

While they drive may not be scenic it beats driving on a boring freeway. Many years ago we drove from LA to Las Vegas and that was the most boring drive ever. I though if we at least made it a bit more interesting by seeing some interesting towns etc it may be better. Being from Aus we love everything American to us it feels interesting and like being on a movie set. I don't know what other routes would be better to see driving up to Orlando

That's great Thankyou I didn't think to look it up on you tube. Thanks for the warning I'll see if I can convince him into a hard top maybe or else travel very light.

While they drive may not be scenic it beats driving on a boring freeway. Many years ago we drove from LA to Las Vegas and that was the most boring drive ever. I though if we at least made it a bit more interesting by seeing some interesting towns etc it may be better. Being from Aus we love everything American to us it feels interesting and like being on a movie set. I don't know what other routes would be better to see driving up to Orlando

What time do you arrive at MIA before your cruise? Do you arrive the day before your cruise?

There is not really anything to see in between, so you get from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. Drive up and down Ocean Blvd in South Beach then get on Interstate 95 and get to Ft Lauderdale Beach. Drive up and down Ft Lauderdale Beach Blvd, then get on to Orlando.

We arrive on a Thursday night and sail on a Saturday. Only really having the Friday to enjoy the Miami sun and sights although shall be very low key considering we would be coming off a transit time of 20+ hours from Australia.

We arrive on a Thursday night and sail on a Saturday. Only really having the Friday to enjoy the Miami sun and sights although shall be very low key considering we would be coming off a transit time of 20+ hours from Australia.

Logic would dictate you spend Friday with the convertible and enjoy it. Personally, I would pick the car up early on Friday and drive down through the Keys. In my opinion, Miami has nothing compared to driving through the Keys in a convertible. Everyone here will tell you that the choice of driving a convertible through the Keys or on an Interstate Highway to Orlando is a simple no-brainer decision.

Driving all the way to Key West and back in one day is a bit of a stretch, but going as far as the Seven Mile Bridge and Bahia Honda State Park would be a full relaxing, fun filled day for the kids and adults.

The kids would love the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. If you're timing is right you might even have the opportunity to see a turtle release back to the ocean...

http://www.turtlehospital.org/

The Seven Mile Bridge...

http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/sunset/

It's a little early for events to be listed for April, 2018, but here's a link to things to do in the Keys...

http://www.fla-keys.com/things-to-do/

Edited by EnterCruise

Logic would dictate you spend Friday with the convertible and enjoy it. Personally, I would pick the car up early on Friday and drive down through the Keys. In my opinion, Miami has nothing compared to driving through the Keys in a convertible. Everyone here will tell you that the choice of driving a convertible through the Keys or on an Interstate Highway to Orlando is a simple no-brainer decision.

Driving all the way to Key West and back in one day is a bit of a stretch, but going as far as the Seven Mile Bridge and Bahia Honda State Park would be a full relaxing, fun filled day for the kids and adults.

The kids would love the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. If you're timing is right you might even have the opportunity to see a turtle release back to the ocean...

http://www.turtlehospital.org/

The Seven Mile Bridge...

http://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/sunset/

It's a little early for events to be listed for April, 2018, but here's a link to things to do in the Keys...

http://www.fla-keys.com/things-to-do/

Sounds amazing if only we had more time

Not something I want to be doing on the back of jet lag 24 hours in transit to get up and drive

I should have planned for more days in Miami to do this. Might see if I can stretch it on return

Sounds amazing if only we had more time

Not something I want to be doing on the back of jet lag 24 hours in transit to get up and drive

I should have planned for more days in Miami to do this. Might see if I can stretch it on return

You'll be fine.

Get to the hotel after you land and get some sleep. Get up the next morning and drink a few cups of "ambition" and get going. In the Keys you will drive slow because the speed limit in most places is 45-55 mph and making occasional stops to see the sites.

You coming all the way from Australia and not experiencing at least a little bit of the Keys is akin to me flying all the way to Queensland and not experiencing the Great Barrier Reef.

You'll be fine.

Get to the hotel after you land and get some sleep. Get up the next morning and drink a few cups of "ambition" and get going. In the Keys you will drive slow because the speed limit in most places is 45-55 mph and making occasional stops to see the sites.

You coming all the way from Australia and not experiencing at least a little bit of the Keys is akin to me flying all the way to Queensland and not experiencing the Great Barrier Reef.

What's an easy day trip to the keys? Obviously not key west. I might look into it.

I recently did the barrier reef and it's not as amazing as they say. I have seen better off the coast of Fiji and the Cook Islands

While it is still beautiful it was nowhere near as good as the Ningaloo reef off the west Australian coast which gets little or no publicity.

What's an easy day trip to the keys? Obviously not key west. I might look into it.

I recently did the barrier reef and it's not as amazing as they say. I have seen better off the coast of Fiji and the Cook Islands

While it is still beautiful it was nowhere near as good as the Ningaloo reef off the west Australian coast which gets little or no publicity.

That's why I made it a point in all my post not to go all the way to Key West and back because a one day trip is too much. That's why I am suggesting to go as far as across Seven Mile Bridge, (maybe visit Bahia Honda State Park), then work your way back to Miami.

Or...

You could change hotels on Friday morning and move to the Hampton Inn in Key Largo. It is a very unusual Hampton Inn where you can walk right out of your room (well, first floor rooms anyway) onto a patio only a few yards from the bay where you can often see manatees surfacing.

It might be a bit of a hassle Friday morning, but you can crash an hour sooner on Friday evening. Then get up and head to the port on Saturday morning.