Getting an upgrade?

CatsinShow

I haven't been on a cruise in almost 12 years so I'm not sure if this is something that rarely happens anymore.I found a 7 night last minute Norwegian cruise to Alaska. I'm traveling solo and price is super important to me so I don't pay a single supplement. I found a cruise on the Sun that ends up costing $79 a night (including tax) in a guaranteed interior room. My mother has taken a couple different Alaskan cruises but never on Norwegian. She told me that paying for a balcony is a must when taking an Alaskan cruise.

When you go to "check in" at the departing port, are you able to usually get an upgrade from something like a guaranteed interior room to a balcony, or is this one of those things that typically doesn't happen? I could also pay $100 a night and do the guaranteed ocean view room if that makes it easier to upgrade.

Thank you :)

I haven't been on a cruise in almost 12 years so I'm not sure if this is something that rarely happens anymore.I found a 7 night last minute Norwegian cruise to Alaska. I'm traveling solo and price is super important to me so I don't pay a single supplement. I found a cruise on the Sun that ends up costing $79 a night (including tax) in a guaranteed interior room. My mother has taken a couple different Alaskan cruises but never on Norwegian. She told me that paying for a balcony is a must when taking an Alaskan cruise.

When you go to "check in" at the departing port, are you able to usually get an upgrade from something like a guaranteed interior room to a balcony, or is this one of those things that typically doesn't happen? I could also pay $100 a night and do the guaranteed ocean view room if that makes it easier to upgrade.

Thank you :)

The port agents that check you in do not work for NCL. They are there to check you in. No changes in rooms. No upgrades. If you want a balcony, pay for a balcony. We would not sail Alaska in anything lesss.

Whether or not you need a balcony in Alaska is constantly debated. ;) We just finished an Alaska cruise on the Pearl in a suite with a large balcony, and I did most of my viewing from it, but I'm disabled so hopping around to different spots on the ship would have been very difficult for me. From everything I have read, and from what I saw around the ship, if you are willing and able to take advantage of the many outdoor or glassed-in viewing areas, you can do just fine without a balcony. (Plus you will have real darkness to sleep in - I got woken up every morning between 4-5 am as the sun came up.) If you are unwilling or unable to move frequently around the ship and maneuver through the crowds of other cruisers who also want the best shots, then you would probably be better off with your own balcony. (An oceanview for Alaska, IMNSHO, gives you the worst of both worlds - not big enough to really see much but lets in enough light to wake you up.)

Also, you might want to search for other threads on guarantee cabins. From what I have read, you are likely to wind up in the least desirable cabins in the class you paid for. Of course, that may be fine for someone who doesn't spend much time in the cabin and is really trying to cut expenses. I have never seen anyone report that they were put in a higher-class cabin than they paid for, and since Norwegian has implemented a bidding system for upgrades, you are even less likely than before to move up. (Plus IIRC guarantee cabins are not eligible for the bidding program.)

Hi-

We did Alaska a bit ago. We had a balcony. We spent more time out on the upper decks because we wanted to have a more paronamic view. The balcony was nice but you can only see one side. Save the money and get the interior and use the lounges and have hot cocoa, tea, or a drink while you see the landscape.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Chances of getting an upgrade at the pier are very, very slim.

The ship will most probably be sold out, so there not be any rooms left to buy at any price.

There is an upgrade program that is talked about here quite a bit. Scroll down the page and you will find some threads with all the details.

So, your options are:

a) Stay where you are and just get out of the cabin and look around. Your TV will have a view from the front of the ship so you know something is worth it.

b) Check and see how much an Oceanview or Balcony would cost to just buy it today.

c) Try your luck with the upgrade program.

d) Hope for an option at the pier. You are probably better off buying a lottery ticket than getting that - LOL!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses!

About the guaranteed cabins, what makes an interior cabin worse than the other? Is it largely noise or being really far from an elevator, or too close to an elevator?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses!

About the guaranteed cabins, what makes an interior cabin worse than the other? Is it largely noise or being really far from an elevator, or too close to an elevator?

It is more of location. Some are disturbed by noise from deck above where a lounge or dining room or kitchen is located.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

There are a lot of things to consider here...

If this will be your once-in-a-lifetime cruise to Alaska, I would splurge and upgrade now to a balcony, if possible.

As far as upgrading at the pier...I have never heard of anyone successfully doing that...they will invariably tell you to check with guest relations once on board, and when you do that, they will tell you the ship is sold out...

I too, will book guarantee insides to save on routine Caribbean cruises. I only use the cabin to sleep, shower, and change clothes in, and am out and about the ship from wake-up until bedtime.

I waited until the last minute to book a guarantee inside on my last cruise on the Breakaway in January, and got a bargain with no single supplement, so paid less than I would have for a single Studio cabin. And...when my cabin was assigned, it was a nice midship balcony...

Not likely to happen on an Alaska cruise.

The Alaska cruise goes thru some passages that have scenery on all sides, so being topside, or out on the bow of the ship (some ships permit that while cruising scenic area's), is preferable to the limited view from a balcony...

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will enjoy that cruise...:)

I've sailed to Alaska 6 times and will do it again....We've had a balcony twice and found that we didn't spend much time on it....You are in port most of the time and at times, it's too windy and chilling to sit out there....There are so many other places to view Alaska from on the ship....BUT saying that, if you want one, get one....It's only money:-)

We had a large window the first time we cruised Alaska on NCL and a balcony the last 3 times. We will have a balcony in August again! A lot depends on if you want to fight the "hoards" on deck while cruising the glaciers. If you are on a cruise that will be in Glacier Bay all day, you can watch the scenery in a jacket from your balcony and not fight those looking for the perfect photo spot. Splitting time between balcony and deck is a GREAT combo! We feel it is worth the $$$!

Just booked my cruise an hour ago. :) I ended up booking an oceanview guaranteed room. I realize as a worst case scenario I will get a porthole with a lot of noise in the cabin. For the price I paid for being just 1 person going, I could live with it :) Got 7 nights for just under $88 a day.

I booked through Expedia and called them up about upgrades.They looked and said the only thing I could upgrade to is the Penthouse for a cheap few thousand dollars (lol). The girl called NCL for me to see if they expect upgrades. She told her (so she told me) that as of now I cannot upgrade and that my room will most likely not be assigned until 2 days before the sailing. She did say I should look out for emails from NCL emailing me offers to upgrade the room. Also was told I could just go to guest services after I am on the ship and see if I could just rooms like some of you mentioned.

Very excited =)

..She told her (so she told me) that as of now I cannot upgrade and that my room will most likely not be assigned until 2 days before the sailing. She did say I should look out for emails from NCL emailing me offers to upgrade the room. Also was told I could just go to guest services after I am on the ship and see if I could just rooms like some of you mentioned.

Very excited =)

Congrats - but...

GTY rooms are often assigned well in advance. They can of course change it right up until you board.

Yes, look for emails.

No, you are not going to have any luck going to guest services once you board. Ship will probably be sold out at that point.

Just booked my cruise an hour ago. :) I ended up booking an oceanview guaranteed room. I realize as a worst case scenario I will get a porthole with a lot of noise in the cabin. For the price I paid for being just 1 person going, I could live with it :) Got 7 nights for just under $88 a day.

I booked through Expedia and called them up about upgrades.They looked and said the only thing I could upgrade to is the Penthouse for a cheap few thousand dollars (lol). The girl called NCL for me to see if they expect upgrades. She told her (so she told me) that as of now I cannot upgrade and that my room will most likely not be assigned until 2 days before the sailing. She did say I should look out for emails from NCL emailing me offers to upgrade the room. Also was told I could just go to guest services after I am on the ship and see if I could just rooms like some of you mentioned.

Very excited =)

Don't give up hope, yet....they may upgrade folks in balcony's to mini or full suites, and that could open up some balconies for last minute ocean view upgrades...I've seen it happen...

When booking a Guarantee Oceanview Room, you can do worse than a Porthole view. You can get an Obstructed Oceanview, where you are facing directly into a lifeboat, with no view at all. You would get some natural light in your cabin, however.

So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just wanted you to be aware. Keep a close eye out for the prices on Balcony cabins. If you are lucky, you could see a price drop if those are not selling. We went from Obstructed Oceanview to a hull balcony for an outstanding price back in mid May.

I was assigned. Looks like I didn't get what I was hoping. I think I'm getting a view of people walking!

I got 6007 Partially Obstructed Oceanview Porthole Window. on Promenade level

It got decent reviews though. Just wish I could see the exact picture of the room along with the view.

Edited by CatsinShow

Here's a better shot of your view. You're looking across the promenade and through an opening in the side of the ship, but you do have a view of the scenery. Also, the window is tinted enough that people walking by during the day have to come right up to your window to see inside. We were booked in one these recently, but ended up taking a upsell offer. We did walk by and check them out though.

671276679_039Day3-Stateroom.jpg.ca7438eaf75b97944e9a30267c5a2084.jpg

Here's a better shot of your view. You're looking across the promenade and through an opening in the side of the ship, but you do have a view of the scenery. Also, the window is tinted enough that people walking by during the day have to come right up to your window to see inside. We were booked in one these recently, but ended up taking a upsell offer. We did walk by and check them out though.

How did you end up getting the upsell? You think you could see glaciers from that window?

I just called Expedia again (I keep trying!) and they still said that they cannot upgrade me. I asked if the ship was sold out and they said it wasn't sold out but that it was getting there. They just told me to go to guest services to see if there were cancellations but I've learned on this board it doesn't happen lol.

The good thing about cruising the Sun in Alaska is that it still has the front Observation Lounge, which is a great place to be to see the sights. There is even a front open deck area you can access from there if the weather is warm enough or the ship is not moving (maybe just rotating like it does in Glacier Bay).

Enjoy Alaska! So far my favorite place to cruise.