Island Princess aft balcony cabins deck 11

canloan

Does anyone have any experience staying in one of these cabins (B738, B740, B743, or B741)? They are classed as BD cabins and are available for the Alaska cruise we are booking. We really like the idea of an aft cabin balcony for an Alaska cruise, but we are concerned that others may know something we don't about these cabins because these cabins are still available for booking. We have stayed in aft balcony rooms on other ships.

I searched the Princess board here on CC and also did an Internet search using a popular search engine and could only find a couple of posts about these cabins. Because these balconies have walls on all sides does the balcony feel closed in and/or is the view restricted for an aft balcony? Is the balcony the same size as a regular BD cabin? Does less light get into the cabin with the design of the balcony? If you have stayed in one of these cabins would you book it again? If, yes why? If no, why not?

Thanks.

Does anyone have any experience staying in one of these cabins (B738, B740, B743, or B741)? They are classed as BD cabins and are available for the Alaska cruise we are booking. We really like the idea of an aft cabin balcony for an Alaska cruise, but we are concerned that others may know something we don't about these cabins because these cabins are still available for booking. We have stayed in aft balcony rooms on other ships.

I searched the Princess board here on CC and also did an Internet search using a popular search engine and could only find a couple of posts about these cabins. Because these balconies have walls on all sides does the balcony feel closed in and/or is the view restricted for an aft balcony? Is the balcony the same size as a regular BD cabin? Does less light get into the cabin with the design of the balcony? If you have stayed in one of these cabins would you book it again? If, yes why? If no, why not?

Thanks.

These aft cabins were part of 150 plus cabins added to the Island in a major dry dock in 2015.

The entire aft section of the Island was changed dramatically.

There have been many issues with vibration in the aft section since the work.

We sailed in a new aft suite on Lido deck 14 and had some vibration but the lower deck cabins seem to have more.

Hopefully some will chime in that has more experience with those cabins that you are looking at.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We sailed in C731 from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles. This is an aft corner.

Numerous problems. The vibration is not as bad as the rattles. There were various patches around the room to reduce rattles, including a can opener stuffed into the overhead light. We learned we were classed as a "noisy cabin." We had continual problems in getting hot water. We had to shower at times in the spa. Our "refrigerator" was broken when we arrived and it took six days to replace. We had water dipping on our balcony for two days.

We are in cabin B738 right now aboard the Island in Juneau. The cabin balcony does not feel closed in even with the metal walls on four sides. In fact, I prefer not having the typical partition between balconies. There is little to no wind when sitting outside even when underway at sea. There are two chairs out there and it has plenty of space to enjoy the balcony.

The cabin itself is typical of most balcony cabins on this ship except the tv is on the wall opposite the end of the bed which is a lot nicer IMO as compared to it being in the corner of the room.

I have felt "typical" vibrations when docking and also when we were running at a high rate of speed leaving Vancouver the first night at sea. However, I wouldn't call them excessive and they certainly didn't cause any issues with sleep. For the rest of our time at sea I haven't felt any vibrations in the room with one exception. I do notice that when I'm lying on my side in bed with my ear to the pillow I can hear a cadence similar to a heartbeat which isn't my own of course. It sounds like cavitation coming from the prop but I'm no expert. Again, it isn't a show stopper by any means.

As for other creaks and rattles in the room I've noticed nothing however we've had fairly calm seas so perhaps this isn't a good indicator.

If you have any other questions let me know. I'll try to post a video of the room along with patters when I return next weekend.

Thank you so much for the comments and observations so far. They are very helpful.

We need to commit by the end of the day today to be able to book with the "3 day sale" promo with a particular TA. The promo includes the beverage package, gratuities, and a reduced deposit ($130 CDN).

To the best of my knowledge we can change our cabin within the same category after we book and before the final payment date as long as we stay in the same category. I am going to go ahead and book one of these aft cabins.

Any other observations/comments would be most welcome.

stlrver, I am looking forward to your post(s) about your Alaska experience on the Island Princess.

Thanks.

Wow you were reading my mind. B741 is open for the Panama Canal cruise we are considering. I like the idea of looking out the back of the ship.

excellent post! I am wondering why for the same reason there are mini suityes available on Deck 10 C707???? Will be interested in your opinions AFTER the cruise. Please repost and let me know how it was up the back!;p

cheers

Jan

Thanks.

excellent answer to my question as well. I have booked Deck 10 C707 for the Panama cruise in march next year. Just wondering why there were so many mini suites left on that deck! i am thinking there will be noises wherever you are. creaking groaning and rattling. I have had thumping so i think a constant drone of the engines would be better!

Thanks Let me know at the end of the cruise. LOVED the Alaskan cruise it was awesome.:p

cheers

We are in cabin B738 right now aboard the Island in Juneau. The cabin balcony does not feel closed in even with the metal walls on four sides. In fact, I prefer not having the typical partition between balconies. There is little to no wind when sitting outside even when underway at sea. There are two chairs out there and it has plenty of space to enjoy the balcony.

The cabin itself is typical of most balcony cabins on this ship except the tv is on the wall opposite the end of the bed which is a lot nicer IMO as compared to it being in the corner of the room.

I have felt "typical" vibrations when docking and also when we were running at a high rate of speed leaving Vancouver the first night at sea. However, I wouldn't call them excessive and they certainly didn't cause any issues with sleep. For the rest of our time at sea I haven't felt any vibrations in the room with one exception. I do notice that when I'm lying on my side in bed with my ear to the pillow I can hear a cadence similar to a heartbeat which isn't my own of course. It sounds like cavitation coming from the prop but I'm no expert. Again, it isn't a show stopper by any means.

As for other creaks and rattles in the room I've noticed nothing however we've had fairly calm seas so perhaps this isn't a good indicator.

If you have any other questions let me know. I'll try to post a video of the room along with patters when I return next weekend.

Thanks for your post. I am in the same position, i have to pay for march 2018 by Monday. wish i had the drinks package but!!!!!

I am going for deck 10 C707 right at the back. let me know how it goes for you.

cheers;p

Thank you so much for the comments and observations so far. They are very helpful.

We need to commit by the end of the day today to be able to book with the "3 day sale" promo with a particular TA. The promo includes the beverage package, gratuities, and a reduced deposit ($130 CDN).

To the best of my knowledge we can change our cabin within the same category after we book and before the final payment date as long as we stay in the same category. I am going to go ahead and book one of these aft cabins.

Any other observations/comments would be most welcome.

stlrver, I am looking forward to your post(s) about your Alaska experience on the Island Princess.

• 10 months later...

Thanks.

We are now wondering the same thing - did you occupy one of these rooms, and how was it???

We are now wondering the same thing - did you occupy one of these rooms, and how was it???

Hi. We had c707 so not quite at the back I do remember walking past the rooms with the balconies and felt I was walking through someone’s room. Not exactly private but not too bad. No sunshine at all tho. All under cover. Not sure I would be going for it. Our cabin was a mini suite and it was perfect. There was a bit of vibration which in itself was not a problem as it was constant and quietly always there. The thing that did worry me was the "knocks" created by the vibration . I pushed a face washer between the tv and the wall which fixed the main one. Someone had jammed a toothpick in the woodwork on the ceiling ....lots of little creaks and rattles which were fixable and sometimes made me laugh. I did read all the reviews of this ship before we booked and it amazed me how some people are very negative about small things. We did not know the ship before refurbishment and I was a little worried but it was a fabulous voyage and cruise. Well balanced sea days and excursions . We really enjoyed the whole cruise. Only downside was the food. It was ok but not the usual standard of princess we expected. Almost like the kitchen staff were told to economise and save money. The menu choices were less extensive and the food itself was a little underwhelming. Not cruise destroying and not complaining just that with princess we were used to "outstanding" not just "ordinary".

• Like 1

Just read your latest comments. Good thinking.....yes all worth it the beverage package alone is worth it. You could change to other cabins. Don’t think it would be a bad cabin to book it may not have lots of light but with the Alaskan cruise you will be on deck a lot for 360 degree views. Your balcony would be less windy....bonus! Go with a positive frame of mind and you will enjoy.

Hi. We had c707 so not quite at the back I do remember walking past the rooms with the balconies and felt I was walking through someone’s room. Not exactly private but not too bad. No sunshine at all tho. All under cover. Not sure I would be going for it. Our cabin was a mini suite and it was perfect. There was a bit of vibration which in itself was not a problem as it was constant and quietly always there. The thing that did worry me was the "knocks" created by the vibration . I pushed a face washer between the tv and the wall which fixed the main one. Someone had jammed a toothpick in the woodwork on the ceiling ....lots of little creaks and rattles which were fixable and sometimes made me laugh. I did read all the reviews of this ship before we booked and it amazed me how some people are very negative about small things. We did not know the ship before refurbishment and I was a little worried but it was a fabulous voyage and cruise. Well balanced sea days and excursions . We really enjoyed the whole cruise. Only downside was the food. It was ok but not the usual standard of princess we expected. Almost like the kitchen staff were told to economise and save money. The menu choices were less extensive and the food itself was a little underwhelming. Not cruise destroying and not complaining just that with princess we were used to "outstanding" not just "ordinary".

We are booked in C706 for a cruise next year on the Island. I was wondering what you meant by feeling like you were walking past someone's room? Not sure I understand what you mean.

We were recently on the Ruby with the new menu and liked them, although many did not. Food is subjective, for sure, but I know what you mean about the changes in cruise line food.

Thanks for the info.

Thank you for this information. I have not been on the Island but will experience her in 2 weeks. The reviews have made it a little scary, but posts like yours and a few others have been helpful and hopeful!

Thank you for this information. I have not been on the Island but will experience her in 2 weeks. The reviews have made it a little scary, but posts like yours and a few others have been helpful and hopeful!

We are supposed to be on her in November and am not sure about our location at the back of the ship. After you return, would appreciate your thoughts!