Please help stop the hoarding of daybeds in the solarium!!!😡

We have many times walked the deck early in the morning to see the sunrise with coffee in hand, to find sleeping

pax on those loungers, day beds, etc.

Me too. That's probably where the people with inside cabins sleep!

And, therein lies the crux of the issue: an erroneous belief that once you put an item on a chair, that chair belongs to you for the day - EVEN IF YOU DON'T USE IT.

Certainly, whoever shows up earliest should have their pick of an available chair or two (up to the number of individuals in their own cabin). But, the reasonable expectation at every resort and on every cruise ship in the world (other than when such chairs are a "paid for" or otherwise assigned amenity) is that, by selecting the chair(s), you understand that they are for use RIGHT THEN and only until such time that they are left unoccupied beyond a specified time limit per the posted rules of the management. And a half hour to forty-five minutes with no-butt-in-the-chair would be a more than generous allowance.

So, if you put your stuff on a chair at 8:00 AM and return with your roommate by 8:30 AM, no problemo. But, if you don't show back up until 10:00 AM, your stuff should be long gone (thanks to the vigilant pool personnel.

This "ain't rocket science." It's just good common sense and courtesy.

sent from my iPhone using Forums

This seems to be totally reasonable to me. I would add, if a person came back to claim their chair after being gone I would prob just say to them, "oh, I was keeping your chair reserved with my butt for the hour you were gone. Thanks for getting up early and getting it for me" haha No, jk. I couldn't say that even if I wanted to. But I would sit in the chair for that hour. :D

speaking of windjammer, on my last cruise I put my food down with my sunglasses and hat as well did my husband. We went back to get drinks from soda fountain. When we came back 3 minutes later, a couple had moved our food and my stuff and sat in our seats. I said, excuse me, we were sitting there. They replied, no you got up and moved. I did stand my ground and they did move but they were really upset. I think the overall rule should be that if it is occupied, find somewhere else to sit. I realize it isn't fair; however, if you start having the mindset that you can just move stuff, then it does become a problem. My husband and I laughed about it because it was comical when it happened and still is.

Ok that is horrible. That shouldn't happen. Now, if you were gone for 30 or more minutes I bet the dining personnel would remove it. Maybe even 20 min.

How about take paper and a marker with you and write the time on it. If their back in 30 minutes they can remove it, if not move the belongings and put the sign on top. The rules are in the contract with the cruise line/resort, just verify the time specified by the specific entity and take a copy with you. Having all the facts at hand makes a confrontation unlikely. In the odd event someone has a "good" reason you can give them back the chair. Even if you don't want to wait the 30 minutes you can mark the time to remind anyone around there are rules and there are cruisers watching.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One step closer to having to pay for these prime spots, just like on other lines.

If there are not enough of a thing to go around, the best solution may well be to charge for it. There simply is no such thing as a "fair" way to allocate things that are in short supply without charging for them.

If they start charging they may be tied up even more than they are now unless they limit the amount of hours they can be rented by one party. And if they are rented by the day I'm sure some may only be used for a few hours and be vacant assigned out the rest of the time.

I submitted my email to RC about a reservation system for the loungers. They did respond to me. So at least I've been heard. And at high end land resorts the free reservation system does work!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they start charging they may be tied up even more than they are now unless they limit the amount of hours they can be rented by one party. And if they are rented by the day I'm sure some may only be used for a few hours and be vacant assigned out the rest of the time.

Of course, if you pay for something it is yours even when you are not using it. That is true regardless of whether it is a daybed, a cabana on Cocoa Cay or a stateroom veranda. Nevertheless, there is always a price at which demand becomes equal to supply.

Sign up for all the available time slots then sublet them to desperate folks.:evilsmile:

So we are all sending written messages to RC right? I will advocate for 2 hour reservations

I'm with you on sending a message. I contacted them a few weeks ago and was told they would do a better job surveying the area. Hmphf.....not sure what that will do but they recognize it is a constant issue with guests.

Nope hubby amd I will wait 40 min if the stuffs owner doesn't show up we ask the people around it, if they have not seen the owner either we move the stuff. If they come back hours later we simply say "chairs were empty when we got here " . Sure they get mad but hey....you're the one who left your stuff unattended for that long! We've only done it a few times on sea days when we could find no chairs after looking for quite some time. I'm always cold so I'm not going up 2-3 decks to find a seat in a windy area. We do sit on the edge of the pool and watch the clock and like i said if the owner of the book or sun screen or lol one flip flop on each seat doesn't come back in 40 min to an hour we move the stuff and sit. Usually we take it to the towel attendent or give it to an attendent.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

We do this, also. Several years ago DH and I went to Solarium around 10 am. Lots of people and also about 4 loungers in same "row" with towels on each one. We waited almost an hour, nobody showed, so we removed the towels on two and sat down. Lady, one lady, comes after another 30 mins or so has passed and says "I was holding these chairs. My father has mobility problems." (BTW, father was NOT with her) I just said there were no towels on these two loungers when we got here. I FELT like saying if it would take her father over an hour and a half to get from one place to another on the ship, then maybe another vacation choice would be better for him. She just walked away.

Having just returned from Anthem and getting to enjoy a sea bed a few days. Here is the thing. I get up early but only the days I was up and in the Solarium before 8 did I get a sea bed. Its funny to see me and like 10 other people in the Solarium with all sea beds and 50% of the chairs claimed, long before the pool or restaurant opens.

As fro my sea bed. I would sit in it, go get coffee, sit in it, go get a snack and when the pool opened I was in and out of the pool all morning, into the afternoon. When I left the solarium for something more than to go check my kids or grab a snack. I took my stuff and gave up my chair. Honestly I felt like as long as I was in the Solarium the chair was mine even if my butt wasn't in it.

So yes my chair was left unattended for longer that 30 minute stretches because I was IN the pool. Should I loose my stuff?

Sign up for all the available time slots then sublet them to desperate folks.:evilsmile:

Excellent idea! Earning some $$ for the next cruise or just some OBC for the current one!

Seriously though... if the pool attendants won't remove those items from chairs or police small children in the Solarium, then perhaps this is a legitimate place for RCL to cut back and save some money.

When I was on Oasis and saw the beds with towels holding them. I stopped one of the attendants and told him I was setting my stopwatch for 30 minutes and if no one claimed one of the beds would he move the towels. After 30 minutes, I wandered to the unclaimed bed I wanted and he cleared not only that one, but the rest of the unclaimed beds.

Having just returned from Anthem and getting to enjoy a sea bed a few days. Here is the thing. I get up early but only the days I was up and in the Solarium before 8 did I get a sea bed. Its funny to see me and like 10 other people in the Solarium with all sea beds and 50% of the chairs claimed, long before the pool or restaurant opens.

As fro my sea bed. I would sit in it, go get coffee, sit in it, go get a snack and when the pool opened I was in and out of the pool all morning, into the afternoon. When I left the solarium for something more than to go check my kids or grab a snack. I took my stuff and gave up my chair. Honestly I felt like as long as I was in the Solarium the chair was mine even if my butt wasn't in it.

So yes my chair was left unattended for longer that 30 minute stretches because I was IN the pool. Should I loose my stuff?

I don't know, but with so few of these sea beds, it doesn't seem right that one person should have it for the entire day. I feel like if you are out of it for 30 minutes for any reason, you should give it up.

No, but you should lose your chair.

My gym has a row of 30-40 lockers that anyone can use; when the door is open you set your own combination, no charge, square sized cubby hole. Sort of like a big version of a cruise ship safe (mechanical though, not digital)

For YEARS many people have said they would not use a chair if they had somewhere to keep their items while in the pool, but RCI does not see fit to give them somewhere to keep belongings other than for someone to claim a chair.

RCI could EASILY solve chair hogging problems, but they have no incentive to do so.

My gym has a row of 30-40 lockers that anyone can use; when the door is open you set your own combination, no charge, square sized cubby hole. Sort of like a big version of a cruise ship safe (mechanical though, not digital)

For YEARS many people have said they would not use a chair if they had somewhere to keep their items while in the pool, but RCI does not see fit to give them somewhere to keep belongings other than for someone to claim a chair.

RCI could EASILY solve chair hogging problems, but they have no incentive to do so.

Very true. It wouldn't even have to be something that locks...just something like some cubbies to put stuff in.