Dog sled excursions?

boom op

I've done the dog sled summer camp in both Skagway and Juneau. While they are both good, our group enjoyed the one in Skagway more. The dry trail that the dogs run on in Skagway is a little longer and faster than the one in Juneau. I thought the scenery was nicer in Skagway too. The one in Skagway is a a bigger operation, while the one in Juneau is a little more personal. There's a lot to do in Juneau, so I would opt for the Mendenhall Glacier or the tram in that port, rather than the dog sled summer camp.

we have done the Juneau excursion. It was fun but I personally preferred the pilots choice helicopter tour vs dog sled/helicopter tour in Juneau. We loved the glacier viewing and walking around at 3 different stops. I liked the sled ride in the snow- but the amazing glacier views and mini hike were not possible on the trip we went on where we just went to the sled dow glow camp- you would have not known we were on a glacier.

Summer camp we have only done in Skagway so I cannot compare. the tour was enjoyable but I liked the tour that included sled ride with caribou crossing vs the summer dog sled ride only tour . Agree with above that there is too much to do in Juneau that ranks higher for me. It was on the list this year but didn't make it to final plans :)

I recently switched mine from Juneau to the Skagway one. It was $50 cheaper. I heard its the same exact as the one in Juneau, just a different glacier. However the one I am doing is he helicopter one. As far the ones without the helicopter, thy are both pretty much the same as well, just different location.

We have done both and while both were great, preferred the Skagway one. It was more scenic and we got to ride up the mountain in a unimog (huge military type vehicle). Also got more puppy time.

The Juneau one was unique in that the dogs were in individual colored doghouses, which made for a cool photo.

I agree that there are more things to do in Juneau only (Mendenhall Glacier, whale watching, Mt. Roberts tramway) that would make Skagway the better choice for a dogsledding excursion.