Do I still need to place creddit card on file and do they put a hold

Travelbug1978

We also like to prepay as much as possible on a cruise. The goal is to go home with a zero balance. We do leave the credit card on file, but we might pay cash, or use the debit card (not the one on file when we boarded) on the second to the last night to pay off what has been spent.

If you register everyone in the same room with the same card, or cash only then you can monitor where you are on your spending with the princess at sea intranet on your phone, or in the internet cafe. This is free of charge to check. As long as you don't get onto the internet there is no fee. The second to the last night will have shorter lines than the last night of a cruise, and they will not let you get off the ship unless your account is current (at zero balance). The line at Guest Services that last morning is usually long with people disputing charges or paying up. We check our account regularly to make sure things look correct.

While reading this post .... first to last ... I am wondering. Is there a difference in the $150 OBC and the $350 OBC. Meaning .... will the cruise line 'use' the $350 first (passenger paid) and NOT use the $150 (non-refundable) OBC. ???? Just curious. OR is it lump sum OBC of $500 .... say $200 is remaining at end of cruise. Does the cruise line deduct the $150 from the remaining $200OBC before refunding .... in any manner??

what is the amount of hold on a 5 nite cruise? i want to use cap 1 for when i'm not in the USA due to the lack of fees but i probably dont have enough on it for excursions / tshirts etc PLUS something like a 500 hold.

Princess does not work their on board accounting system placing daily standard or normal holds on credit or debit cards. When you board your account balance will either begin at zero or be a credit reflecting any OBC that you may have as part of a promo or purchased for yourself. Each day the hotel charge (auto-tip) and any other on board expenses are added to your account and a daily net balance is determined. When the net balance becomes positive the amount is placed as a hold. This is overnight done each day. You can prevent holds by paying cash at the passenger service desk each day to keep your account in a credit balance.

While reading this post .... first to last ... I am wondering. Is there a difference in the $150 OBC and the $350 OBC. Meaning .... will the cruise line 'use' the $350 first (passenger paid) and NOT use the $150 (non-refundable) OBC. ???? Just curious. OR is it lump sum OBC of $500 .... say $200 is remaining at end of cruise. Does the cruise line deduct the $150 from the remaining $200OBC before refunding .... in any manner??

The Princess accounting system uses non refundable OBC first. If there is a credit balance at the end of the cruise only the refundable amount will be refunded. Any refundable OBC including passenger paid is used last.

For example, you begin with $2,000 OBC, $1,500 non refundable and $500 refundable. You spend $1,400 on board and your ending balance is credit $600. You will receive $500 in refund and will lose the $100. Remember also that passengers that link their accounts together will have a summary invoice where all credits and charges are netted. So your OBC could be gobbled up by the other linked person.

If you register everyone in the same room with the same card, or cash only then you can monitor where you are on your spending with the princess at sea intranet on your phone, or in the internet cafe.

You can also get a printout of all your expenditures at any point in time by going to one of the small kiosks located in the vicinity of the Passenger Services area by scanning any of the cruise cards linked to your credit card. When you do that it will ask you if you want only the charges made by that particular cruise card or do you want the charges on all the cruise cards linked to that credit card. Once you make the appropriate choice, the applicable charges will be printed out for you. No need to stand in line at the Passenger Services Desk at all. You can check every day, or never at all or multiple times a day, your choice.

Tom

All non-refundable OBC will be used before the first refundable OBC is used.

Tom

You can also get a printout of all your expenditures at any point in time by going to one of the small kiosks located in the vicinity of the Passenger Services area by scanning any of the cruise cards linked to your credit card. When you do that it will ask you if you want only the charges made by that particular cruise card or do you want the charges on all the cruise cards linked to that credit card. Once you make the appropriate choice, the applicable charges will be printed out for you. No need to stand in line at the Passenger Services Desk at all. You can check every day, or never at all or multiple times a day, your choice.

Tom

I was referring to standing in line to pay.

I don’t waste paper and print out changes unless in need to investigate something. I do it all from my phone. I do keep the final printout provided on the last morning but that’s printed regardless of if I want it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was referring to standing in line to pay.

I don’t waste paper and print out changes unless in need to investigate something. I do it all from my phone. I do keep the final printout provided on the last morning but that’s printed regardless of if I want it

You had mentioned 2 ways to monitor your spending, I merely mentioned a third way as I had no way of knowing if you knew of that way or would find it useful.

Tom

You had mentioned 2 ways to monitor your spending, I merely mentioned a third way as I had no way of knowing if you knew of that way or would find it useful.

Tom

Sure, thanks. I didn’t mean to sound abrasive.

Fully aware of the kiosks. They were a nice addition back when the other alternative was to go to guest services. I’ve seen many tweens playing with the kiosks on cruises, printing out their charges in groups. I didn’t offer it up as an option because it’s not one I like to promote or use unless necessary but you are accurate to point it out as another alternative to reviewing your on board charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, thanks. I didn’t mean to sound abrasive.

Fully aware of the kiosks. They were a nice addition back when the other alternative was to go to guest services. I’ve seen many tweens playing with the kiosks on cruises, printing out their charges in groups. I didn’t offer it up as an option because it’s not one I like to promote or use unless necessary but you are accurate to point it out as another alternative to reviewing your on board charges.

Okay. No problem.

Tom

The Princess accounting system uses non refundable OBC first. If there is a credit balance at the end of the cruise only the refundable amount will be refunded. Any refundable OBC including passenger paid is used last.

For example, you begin with $2,000 OBC, $1,500 non refundable and $500 refundable. You spend $1,400 on board and your ending balance is credit $600. You will receive $500 in refund and will lose the $100. Remember also that passengers that link their accounts together will have a summary invoice where all credits and charges are netted. So your OBC could be gobbled up by the other linked person.

Thank you .... good to know. I appreciate the answer. I am not presently scheduled for a Princess cruise ... but is good info. for future!

Princess does not work their on board accounting system placing daily standard or normal holds on credit or debit cards. When you board your account balance will either begin at zero or be a credit reflecting any OBC that you may have as part of a promo or purchased for yourself. Each day the hotel charge (auto-tip) and any other on board expenses are added to your account and a daily net balance is determined. When the net balance becomes positive the amount is placed as a hold. This is overnight done each day. You can prevent holds by paying cash at the passenger service desk each day to keep your account in a credit balance.

ah ok so its not something like 300 a day they hold. its my grats and daily expenses that have a hold

put another way. if know im not spending more than 300, i can go on the ship with a available credit limit of 300 and not run into any issues as long as i dont charge over what is on my card?

ah ok so its not something like 300 a day they hold. its my grats and daily expenses that have a hold

put another way. if know i'm not spending more than 300, i can go on the ship with a available credit limit of 300 and not run into any issues as long as i don't charge over what is on my card?

Basically you are correct. But, if you begin the cruise with an on board credit balance Princess will not start placing holds until your account shows a positive or debit balance. At that time the hold will be for the amount of the balance (probably rounded). Be aware that when using a debit card many banks are slow to remove the holds, thus lowering your available balance. Credit cards are the way to go. Also if your account is linked to a single credit or debit card, for example husband & wife, you will receive a summary invoice for both accounts, and both accounts will act as one. You can pre-pay in the cruise personlizer for things like gratuities. You can also call Princess and purchase OBC which is fully refundable if not fully used. If you plan on any Princess tours, $300 is gone in a flash. $30 to $40 per day for alcoholic drinks is not uncommon. You can carry on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you might want.

Personally, I would never use a debit card. First, your debit card doesn't have the same protections as your credit card. If your information is ever compromised so is your bank account, and banks do NOT work as quickly to rectify things as credit card companies. Second, is the fact when the cruise company places a hold on your debit card, you had better have more than enough to cover any transactions that normally go through your bank account. Otherwise, you will be overdrawn and will incur bank fees. I know all of this because I had worked at a bank for years.

Credit card or cash is the way to go. If that isn't an option for you for whatever reason open a statement savings account and obtain a debit card for that account.

I highly discourage anyone in using a debit card attached to a checking account.

This! If you don't have a credit card or don't want to use one, then buy a prepaid card and load it and use it. Never use your debit card! We have used a credit card as required and then once on board have gone to the guest services desk and put down cash onto our accounts. Never had a hold placed on my credit card and for any cash unused, I was able to go to guest services the night before disembarkation and have gotten the unused cash back as cash.

i know this was not related to cruises, but i think a while ago i saw that something like a car rental company could tell if it was prepaid CC or not and for some reason they wouldnt take prepaid CCs even with the money on them already.

hopefully this wouldnt apply to cruise ships though.