Teens to Alaska

Currently onboard Liberty and considering putting down a deposit in a Explorer Alaska cruise for next summer. I'll have a 17 year old and soon to be 16 year old by next summer. Both girls.

Looking for some experiences for that age on this type of cruise. One minus the beaches and bathing suits.

Thanks in advance

Well, you cruise to Alaska for Alaska...not so much for "relaxation" and partying! It's an entirely different "feel" from a Caribbean cruise! The ship is transportation, and not the destination. You will be spending most of your time OFF the ship, seeing and doing...not so much lounging about!

Do the teens WANT to see and experience Alaska? (And, BTW, it can be quite warm in parts of Alaska, so do pack one bathing suit per person, just in case! And a pair of shorts!

We were fortunate enough to go with a few other families- so we had a 17, 16, 2 15's and 2 almost 13's. And with enough adults to go around we were able to mix and match. My daughter went kayaking with an aunt one day and whale watching with another family the next. ALL the kids were suckers for the sled dogs- especially the pups. They all had a wonderful time. There is no shortage of things to do and beautiful scenery. And yes- packing can be a challenge. One day was shorts, t's and sunburns, the next was cold, soaking rain... I thought people were going overboard when they suggested rain pants- but I could have used them while we were horseback riding and sled dog riding in the pouring rain!

The ship is transportation, and not the destination. You will be spending most of your time OFF the ship, seeing and doing...not so much lounging about!!

There are 3+ seas days on the Explorer runs.;)

Biker, who was impressed by the couple of teenagers who braved the elements and tried out the Flowrider on Explorer out of Juneau.

There are 3+ seas days on the Explorer runs.;)

Biker, who was impressed by the couple of teenagers who braved the elements and tried out the Flowrider on Explorer out of Juneau.

Probably no line to wait in either. ;)

We cruised to Alaska with our teens a few years ago on the Rhapsody. Small ship and they had a blast. We are returning there on the Explorer next June. Kids will be 19 and 16. They are VERY excited to return. Plenty to do on this ship. Book it!!

We just went with our 15 year old on the Radiance 9 day Alaska cruise. It was mostly port days, so lots to do and see. He loved it! He didn't even do the teen club. (Even though they were begging him to come since there were only 5 teens onboard, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm sure they would love Alaska, but I would recommend booking excursions, as I don't think Alaska has many "DIY ports".

We had no problem doing it DIY - got to/from Mendenhal Glacier in Juneau via the local bus for $2. Granted, only for the hearty walkers and in good weather.

My boys have done Alaska twice and have had a great time! As long as they know it wont be beaches and lots of sun. They should have a good time. Both times we went we were on Holland America, sure the kids would have loved to have the flow rider but they managed with just a pool. I just asked them both if they would go do another Alaska cruise "Yes" was the answer. My boys are both outdoor type kids and they enjoyed all the ports.

My son's favorite cruises have been to Alaska! The first time we went he was just 10, but he loved it so much he asked to go back. The second time it was just the two of us and he was 17.

He met lots of other kids to hang out with on the ship, just as he does on any cruise. (He's an only child, and will talk to anyone.) We did as much....or as little!....together on the ship as we would when in the Caribbean.

We've done whale watching, bear watching, dog sledding, sled dog summer camp, float planes, helicopters (to get to glacier and dog sledding), sight-seeing boat trips, museums, local shopping....lots of different things. (We also spent a week on land each time we went).

I do think it depends on the kids, somewhat, though. My son is not one to really like spending day after day at the beach and laying around (I could do that; not him! ;p). If your kids like to be active and do a lot of different things, I think they will really enjoy it.