Beach excursion or Mopeds

Dns0801

My GF and I will be heading to Bermuda in September on NCL Breakaway. We wondering is it worth the money to go to beaches from the ship or rent ourselves mopeds for the 3 days. Any Info will help. Thanks.

Are you or your GF experienced motorcycle riders? Do you know that traffic flow is on the left unlike the US which is on the right. Please read this post by member hamlettm titled Should you rent a scooter in Bermuda???

It is not worth the money to go to the beaches by a CL excusion from the ship. Bermuda is a DIY for most activities. If you want to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach, you can board a public bus, one way fare $4.50, token; or you board a mini bus, one way fare $7.00 but you get door to door service.

If you have anymore questions about Bermuda, you should ask them at the Bermuda forum of the Ports of Call board.

BTW, Welcome to Cruise Critic!!!

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

I would support the notion of not renting mopeds. The coral dust that accumulates on the roads there gets extremely slippery when wet, which can happen daily. And driving on the wrong side of the road on windy roads can be difficult. Every time we've been to Bermuda we've seen cruise passengers injured in moped accidents and know one individual who was seriously injured a number of years ago.

My recommendation would be to buy the combination bus and ferry pass instead. Very easy, dependable, and safe way to get anywhere and every where in Bermuda. And they typically run a special non-stop bus to and from Horseshoe Bay Beach from the cruise piers.

Multiple ferry/bus tickets are available in Hamilton as you get off the ferry. Much cheaper than buying a daily pass.

Tickets are available in Hamilton, and are only sold in booklets of 15 tickets. They can be shared and are good on public buses and public ferries. Every time you board a bus or ferry the fare would be one ticket. The cost for the booklet is $37.50 which converts to $2.50 fare compared to a token which costs $4.50.

SBtS

My first trip to Bermuda was a land vacation nearly 50 years ago. Being young and adventurous, my friends and I decided to rent mopeds. I still have the scar on my leg - and we didn't get far. Have been back many times since and it never fails that someone has an accident. We were sitting having lunch in the WJ one trip when a honeymooning couple came in - she was in a wheelchair with leg bandaged with him pushing. Seems he insisted on renting mopeds - she was far from amused and let him know. It is so easy to get around Bermuda with the bus/ferry system you really have no need for excursions, mopeds or taxis.

Totally agree with post by gerif.

On our honeymoon,thirty four years ago,I had a moped accident going down the steep road to the Southampton Princess beach club.

I skidded the moped on the sandy part of the road. The moped landed on top of me.

The staff at the hotel were wonderful,getting me cleaned up and into a cab to the hospital.

I was bandaged on both legs where I was cut.

I also had a tetanus shot.

We have vacationed to Bermuda many,many times - both cruise and resort stays.

We never rented mopeds after our experience on our honeymoon.

Just to add my 2cents .... I was on a cruise in 1982 to Bermuda out of Boston. We went ashore with the cruise ship photographers .... 3 girls and 2 guys. We all rented mopeds. It took EVERYTHING I had to stay on the left side. Especially when a BIG truck came around a corner and down the hill. My heart was hammering. And lo and behold, one of the girls went down (not me) and got scraped up. No hospital needed. Sounds like there are good, dependable buses to use, that's how I'd go.