Day Tour of the Epic

jenseib

32992290734_2af206fa6c_z.jpgepic127by Jenseib, on Flickr

33679759882_ab9dcb766d_z.jpgepic128by Jenseib, on Flickr

33679759662_ce90becaf9_z.jpgepic129by Jenseib, on Flickr

Being on the ship really made me feel sad I was not sailing this trip. I just love cruising….but I guess if I couldn’t sail…at least touring a ship would be 2nd best.

33706442121_6fcbc43c88_z.jpgepic130by Jenseib, on Flickr

We then made our way down to tour some more rooms. Sadly most of our keys no longer would work in the doors as I assumed it was close to the time guests could go to their rooms. So we did the next best thing….if a room door was open, we just stepped in and took pictures.

Now I knew the Epic had some weird set ups in their rooms. Some people don’t mind it while others complain about it quite a bit. I for one am not a fan at all.

This is the bathtub/shower…..

33459991131_31bc3a1e10_z.jpgepic11by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yep…..I am sure you can see it….The DOOR is right next to it….it is not in its own room. So the people in your room can see your shadow showering as well….and if you have a visitor while you are showering….well you better warn you family members not to open the door.

And the sink and toilet are across from that….again, the toilet door is NOT solid…it’s that foggy glass…..Um…I like complete privacy when I do my business.

33459990641_9a50bdd12d_z.jpgepic12by Jenseib, on Flickr

33688628542_d12cb18e0c_z.jpgepic141by Jenseib, on Flickr

33001282144_9d63716172_z.jpgepic142by Jenseib, on Flickr

33688628202_b7f32a5ee8_z.jpgepic143by Jenseib, on Flickr

Soooooo….. I can see the toilet in this next picture….so you know will be able to sort of see a person in there too. I think I would have to kick everyone out of the room when I used the toilet. LOL.

33459990421_2372318bf9_z.jpgepic13by Jenseib, on Flickr

The rooms are different on the Epic too. They are kind of curved and wavy. I guess the theory was more room?

33001281644_41972fa683_z.jpgepic144by Jenseib, on Flickr

And the next room….as you can see with the wavy floor plan the couch which turns into a bed is on a curve. I have heard from some this is not comfortable for adults, but kids seem to be ok with it.

33459990121_13d4de6226_z.jpgepic14by Jenseib, on Flickr

I totally laughed at seeing this plate out in the hall. There was a big issue with room service trays and plates being left in the hall and not getting picked up and NCL tried to change some policies, including charging now for room service.

33001281364_0d641e335a_z.jpgepic145by Jenseib, on Flickr

33001280904_a7312f943c_z.jpgepic146by Jenseib, on Flickr

Here is a kids club.

33001280714_29b769b211_z.jpgepic147by Jenseib, on Flickr

33844587665_e109f52036_z.jpgepic148by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yeah…Disney clubs usually win hands down….that being said, the best time Claire ever had in a club was on NCL….so that just shows that you can have a lot of fun without “stuff”.

33001280374_023323c170_z.jpgepic149by Jenseib, on Flickr

33001280104_bb157ff8ba_z.jpgepic150by Jenseib, on Flickr

33723643952_2005f72d03_z.jpgepic151by Jenseib, on Flickr

33036586534_563fe01f58_z.jpgepic152by Jenseib, on Flickr

33036586424_1488b95f0e_z.jpgepic153by Jenseib, on Flickr

33036586304_fd93863dee_z.jpgepic154by Jenseib, on Flickr

33723643312_dc468b6bda_z.jpgepic155by Jenseib, on Flickr

The Epic also has a unique feature…it has rooms for singles at a cheaper cost. They have their own little area and even a little club like place where they can hang out and meet each other. I really wanted to check that area out so we headed that way.

33723643062_d2672ff83b_z.jpgepic156by Jenseib, on Flickr

33839384266_1764550cc6_z.jpgepic157by Jenseib, on Flickr

This is the area where they can hang out.

33723642952_62b1d2bd6f_z.jpgepic158by Jenseib, on Flickr

Now these rooms are very small, but for a single person they are perfect. I have actually heard of couples getting 2 of these rooms at a cheaper cost than a regular room….so always price both options out if this area interest you.

33036585784_6256d54464_z.jpgepic159by Jenseib, on Flickr

The room just basically has all the essentials.

33839383916_2bcbb51b10_z.jpgepic160by Jenseib, on Flickr

33036585554_1453aabf12_z.jpgepic161by Jenseib, on Flickr

We went in a couple of the rooms and they were all pretty similar with some having different glowing lights. I am not sure if they always glow like that or if it is a setting for embarkation day.

33839385276_0af443487f_z.jpgepic162by Jenseib, on Flickr

33839383296_ae4d5ba7e3_z.jpgepic168by Jenseib, on Flickr

And time was ticking and we figured it was time we should head off the ship. I am sure we could have stretched it a bit longer but we didn’t want to take a chance and really to look around more would take up more time than we had.

We made our way off the ship and we of course were like salmon swimming upstream to get off. We stopped and asked where we needed to get our passports from and a lady went into the locked room to get them. It had one of those mirror windows so I peeked in and I saw her going through a pile if driver’s license…all probably from the bus tour…and only about 4 passports sitting off to the side. I tried tapping on the window and kept saying“passports!” Finally she saw me and realized what I meant and brought those out to us and we then exited. There were still a ton of people coming and boarding. Quite a few for this time of day for sure.

So my thoughts on the Epic…..It is a nice ship and I love sailing out of PC, so that’s a plus right now for it. I liked the food and the ship looks to have a lot of activities and I wish we could have done more exploring, but we were very limited on time.

But would I sail on her?….yes and no. If I was in a Haven room I would have no issues at all sailing her….but the regular rooms….um that is really iffy. The whole bathroom set up is just not for me. I really like privacy and the see through door for me is a game changer. If it was just Claire (my 12 year old) and I….maybe?......probably....If Skip (my husband) was with us…no way in heck! I just can't get past the bathrooms. I want privacy for me and I want privacy for those I room with.

If I were to sail alone I would not mind those single rooms at all. Those were nice and compact and perfect for one person. It actually makes me want to take a cruise by myself...but I would get holy heck from my family if I did that. :o

I know these issues may not be for everyone but for me it would make me really think hard before sailing on the ship, which is a shame. I really liked everything else about it from what I saw. Hopefully some day they change the bathroom set up…and maybe put a wall that isn’t just foggy glass and then I would feel more comfortable sailing on her.

These are just my opinions.

We walked out of the terminal and headed back to our van. We noticed a girl sitting against the wall with her luggage…I guess someone forgot to pick her up after the cruise? EEEK!

We walked around the building and had to take one last picture of the Fantasy.

33196320430_cd4aa80e50_z.jpgfantasy10by Jenseib, on Flickr

Yep…I love to sail on other ships, but Disney is still my passion and I think their ships are just the prettiest!

And I will be on the Fantasy 2 weeks from today!!! I had originally looked at some other lines for something this summer but I got a deal on the Fantasy I couldn't refuse.

Thanks for reading along. :*

Thanks for the Pictures, sail on her on Sunday out of Barcelona......

How fun!!! Have a good time!

Thanks for so many pictures. Just in time for embarkation in a little over two weeks. Sailing in the Haven for our anniversary.

Thanks. Have fun. I am so jealous. The Haven looks so fabulous on this ship.

What is the point of this review. Who cares if people get off late.

:') :') Obviously you did not read this at all! :') :') :')

And just an FYI...those people who arrived late that day and had an earlier flight ....missed their flights. For me, it was just an inconvenience of not being able to spend more time on the ship. For those who had to get a new flight it was much much more. I am sure they "cared".

What is the point of this review. Who cares if people get off late.

It is a review taking you to the port, to the ship and on the ship with commenting like a travelog. For some it is nice to know that every now and then fog may play into your disembarkation for others not so much. I personally appreciate when the review includes everything. I do not eat in the buffet (I do not carry trays well) but I like to see the pictures and read someone's thoughts about the area. I found the soft serve ice cream for my DH that way.

This review came at a great time. Just booked Epic for 7 Day Mediterranean from Rome. Never been on Epic and now considering upgrading to a Haven. I knew there bathrooms were setup differently and not sure if DH will like that? My DD will love the water slides. Thanks, it makes me feel a little better not booking with a Disney or RC which would've been my normal choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This review came at a great time. Just booked Epic for 7 Day Mediterranean from Rome. Never been on Epic and now considering upgrading to a Haven. I knew there bathrooms were setup differently and not sure if DH will like that? My DD will love the water slides. Thanks, it makes me feel a little better not booking with a Disney or RC which would've been my normal choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have done several Disney and I have been happy on NCL too. If you can swing it though...go for the Haven!!! :halo:

Thank you for posting your tour pictures and thoughts. I have sailed NCL Escape and Getaway, and have Epic booked for Feb 2018. I am also not crazy about the bathroom set up but I do believe there is a curtain that separates the shower/toilet area from the bedroom area?

I wanted to read this review... and really tried.

For some reason, the bright blue bold font did not work well with my eyes. Ouch.

I am NOT slamming the OP - just stating my experience.

I'm surprised you found it hard to read as just not too long ago this same blue color was the normal default color cruise critic had. I'm sorry. I have been writing in the blue for years on several boards as it was the easiest color for most to read. And it separates normal post from report posts.

Hey Jenseib, thanks for this cool review from a fellow DISer who is sailing NCL for the first time, on the Epic, in the Med in September.

I loved this review!! And yes, we are splurging and doing the Haven. I had a weeklong cruise on the Magic booked and ended up switching to the Epic to save money. But as the cruise approached and my sister decided she would finally go with us I upgraded to a 2 bedroom in the Haven. All in all, including tips, I am spending $2500 more on NCL, but that includes one extra person and drink package for 2, so I think I did okay.

Anyway, I will miss the Disney Magic, but excited about the Haven. Thanks again for all the pix and info!

I'm surprised you found it hard to read as just not too long ago this same blue color was the normal default color cruise critic had. I'm sorry. I have been writing in the blue for years on several boards as it was the easiest color for most to read. And it separates normal post from report posts.

Again, I am not slamming the OP.

I decided to give this another try today and my eyes immediately began to hurt. It might have once been a default color, but maybe smaller font, or not bold, or I am just getting older. Either way, I can still feel the pain as I type this.

As to the last sentence.... the color does not separate anything. The post is the same as all posts. Just the content is different.

Thanks for the detail.. at least what I read. I am sure it will help some folks.

Hey Jenseib, thanks for this cool review from a fellow DISer who is sailing NCL for the first time, on the Epic, in the Med in September.

I loved this review!! And yes, we are splurging and doing the Haven. I had a weeklong cruise on the Magic booked and ended up switching to the Epic to save money. But as the cruise approached and my sister decided she would finally go with us I upgraded to a 2 bedroom in the Haven. All in all, including tips, I am spending $2500 more on NCL, but that includes one extra person and drink package for 2, so I think I did okay.

Anyway, I will miss the Disney Magic, but excited about the Haven. Thanks again for all the pix and info!

You will find differences for use between NCL and DCL. I am still a huge DCL fan, but I have no issues sailing NCL too. And you are right...the cost is so much better and you can get a better room for less most often....or at least close to the same price. When we sailed the Jewel we had a penthouse and it was still several thousand cheaper than the same time period on the Wonder in an ocean view room.

I have been on the Magic 3 times and it is a great ship. I will be on the Fantasy for the 2nd time in 1 week and I can't wait....but I got a really good deal on it...otherwise there would be no way I could afford it right now.