Dress policy help

golfer1903

Hi,

We live in San Diego which is a very low key NON dress up sort of city.

The only thing you shouldn't wear to the MDR on elegant night is shorts.

Some ships may allow it but that is the only outfit I've seen where a guy was told he could not go into the MDR while wearing them on elegant night.

My husband used to wear black jeans and black leather sneakers with a collared shirt. Now he wears blue slacks and white leather sneakers with a collared shirt.

I would bet that your golf shirts would be just fine on any night with any slacks and any shoes. Carnival is very low key in terms of dress codes.

This is my first time on a Carnival ship. On Princess and Celebrity, I've alway brought a tux for formal/elegant night. It just seems nice once in a while to do it, not that many chances anymore to dress up like that. My question is----on carnival, will I be the only one in the MDR in a tux? From this discussion, it sure sounds like it. what say you?

There will be a very small handful of people dressed that nicely. The vast majority of guys will be wearing nice jeans or khakis and a polo shirt.

This is my first time on a Carnival ship. On Princess and Celebrity, I've alway brought a tux for formal/elegant night. It just seems nice once in a while to do it, not that many chances anymore to dress up like that. My question is----on carnival, will I be the only one in the MDR in a tux? From this discussion, it sure sounds like it. what say you?
Probably.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It is so funny when people quote the carnival page on what or what not to wear.

I wear flip flops and shorts to every dinner but the steakhouse or "Elegant Night" most of the time. I have worn jeans a polo and flip flops to elegant night before with no problem. I know some have said that the dress code is enforced but I have never seen anyone turned away. "Now I have also never seen someone come to dinner in a bathing suit also."

In all my cruises, I have seen only one couple adamantly turned away from the formal night. He: no shirt, black leather vest, black leather pant, black motorcycle boots. She: Black leather halter top, black leather mini skirt (which was so short her black underwear was visible), black thigh-length leather boots with high heels.

Wow, sounds like dressing up nice is a thing of the past I guess.

After 25+ cruises, I finally broke down and bought a tux. How often do you get to dress up to the nines? You can buy a tux for less than a sport coat, if you know where to shop.

We're high-time Princess cruisers, too. You won't be the only one in a tux, if you're on the same cruise as I am. On the other hand, for Carnival, I have been sorely tempted to find a nice purple zoot suit.

This has been suggested and sounds reasonable on the surface of it, but I do not think you will fill one dining room with two shifts of diners in elegant wear, and that the casual dining room would be over capacity.

perhaps they should try it though as if it worked it would resolve a lot of the discussions.

Follow up: After being on the Victory in October I'm gonna lay some heavy money down on that you would not fill one dining room with one shift of diners in formal wear, let alone two shifts. I wore a golf shirt and tan slacks. On my RCI cruise 2 weeks ago I wore...<checks phone> the same golf shirt (lol) and dark jeans. I did not feel out of place on either ship whatsoever and was solid midpack, just as I expected I'd be.

For the most part people dress neat, clean, resort casual. Fine w me. If you want to go up from that or down from that, I'm not bothered. I did see some stupid stuff in the Diamond Lounge on RCI including guys in sweat pants and tank top (yeah, like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force....seriously) that gave me amusement rather than angst. It's Miami, how are you not melting in sweat pants? The RCI board had me so wound up that I would NOT be allowed in the Diamond Lounge with shorts. First night, 8 other guys in there besides me, 6 of them in shorts. Me in pants. Like a sucker. Not a problem any night.

Take it for what it is, grab a drink and sit somewhere for 15 minutes and just watch people flow by, people watching can be fun. If they are enjoying themselves and are clothed and clean, they aren't harming me or you or anyone else.

...including guys in sweat pants and tank top (yeah, like Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force....seriously)

OMG! I'm not sure how many reading this got that reference, but I just about choked to death trying not to spit tea all over my computer. My coworker seriously thought I was in trouble :'):'):'):')

My wife and I usually dress fairly well in the MDR, but it's mostly because she likes to get dressed up and look nice every once in a while, the MDR (especially on "formal" or "elegant" nights) gives here that chance (she works in an OR, so scrubs all day for her). For the most part I couldn't care less how people dress, though I'm not sure how comfortable I would have been sitting with the biker couple who one poster described that seemed better suited for either Fantasy Week in Key West or the Sturgis rally. I do agree that lines (not just CCL but all of them) should enforce the rules they have in place. Otherwise, why even have the rules? In 3 cruises (a LOT, I know ;)) I've seen multiple people turned away int he MDR for dress code. The issue is that people come to places like CC asking for advice. Someone gives their experience where they were able to "get away" with something outside the rules (which is 100% fine IMO, not knocking anyone for giving personal experience). People read that, think it's OK, then try it on their cruise. Maybe they are on a different ship or different maitre'd, and are turned a way for wearing something a past cruiser was fine wearing. CCL and others could severely limit this type of thing by simply enforcing their own rules.