Passport renewal turn around time

jgh1204

For a passport card, one daughter's took 4 weeks and the other's took help from a congressman to get her card some 10 weeks later. We went sent in both at the same time with exactly the same paperwork. The nice lady at the post office said we had all the paperwork needed. However, only one arrived 4 weeks later. We received a letter saying we needed a form filled out for the other daughter. We did it and sent it in. About a month later, we received the same letter saying the same form needs completed again. At this point, we called our local congressman for help. A little over a week later we had her passport card.

Moral of the story, give your self plenty of time to get your passport before you need it. We thought 3 months would be enough, but it almost wasn't enough time.

Thanks for sharing. What is needed for a new passport other than $,old passport and new picture?

Other than the form, that is it.

I did order a passport card as well that I am still waiting on plus the return of my old passport. The site did say it was likely that all 3 would come separately.

My passport expires in August but my cruise is in January

I was going on a cruise 2 years ago and missing the flight to New Orleans. Missed the sailing of the Dream on a Sunday.

Delta put us on a Tuesday flight to catch up with the ship in Roatan.

Long story, but since now flying internationally, had to get new passports because old passports were to expire in about 60 days. Airline would not let us on the flight.

Anyway, drove overnight to Minneapolis, got in line next morning (a Monday), got new passports in less than 6 hrs, drove back to Des Moines and flew out next day to catch up with the ship on Wednesday. All was well.

So if you have too, it can be expidited in less than a day at a passport office.

My daughter's had expired and she is now an adult. So we sent her old one in, but had to use the form for new passport. It took three weeks.

To the person who asked "who needs a passport?" You may not need it. Most likely won't need it. But if you need it and don't have it, you are guaranteed a huge problem. We have sailed with and without passports, but I feel much better if we all have them. As much as we cruise, we feel it is worth it to have them. Back in about 2007, the US was changing it so people were required passports to cruise. We got our passports, but then they changed the law so closed loop cruises didn't need them. I keep wondering if they will require it in the future.

To the person who asked "who needs a passport?" You may not need it. Most likely won't need it. But if you need it and don't have it, you are guaranteed a huge problem.

Example = according to the news the girl that recently got her arm bit off by the shark in the Bahamas had trouble reentering the US for treatment :eek:with no passport

You can check on the status of your passport rrenewal by googling http://www.governmentpassportrenewalstatus.com.t It will ask for your name, date of birth and the last 4 of your SS#

You can give them your email address to be sent updates on your passport renewal progress. I mailed mine in on June 9th. I checked on it's status on the 15th and was told it was being processed. It said it would take 6-8 weeks to receive it. I also received an email from them today, stating the same imformation. Expect to receive my new passport in 6-8 weeks

The 6 to 8 weeks is their standard answer. That is what my status said on Tuesday. On Wednesday it said the process was complete and I should receive my documents by the 20th. As mentioned, I received my new book yesterday and still waiting on the other docs.

Passport? Who needs a passport? Thats the who reason I'm on a cruise with my kiddos!

Wait until you find your self stuck in another country due to some kind of emergency. You will darn sure wish you had a passport!

For those who prefer to travel without a passport, from what I read last month, there will likely be a change in 2018 that will require you to have a passport for any kind of travel- cruise, domestic flight etc...

As one who only uses my DL for domestic flights this is going to be a pain, but I don't fly that often so I guess I'll deal with it.

Our passport renewals in January of this year took 2 weeks from date mailed to receiving them. Getting our old passports back took an additional 2 weeks (not that I needed them).