Just got off 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer - Ask me anything!

Is there a daily newsletter that is delivered to the cabins each night? I heard somewhere they stopped doing that but hoping that is just a rumour.

Julia

USA, Canadian, Australian and European languages news sheets available in the MDR, LIDO, Explorers Cafe, and front desk every day. If you cannot find the one that you want ask for one to be printed.

Thanks but I don't have a smart phone - I have a dumb one (and it's Tracfone so I'm charged by the minute and it doesn't work in Canada). I'm one of those "Dinosaurs" who isn't attached to my phone - some days it isn't even on. I know - I'm an oddball. However, I was interested in the internet pricing to see if they still had any of the packages. Last year it was $99.00 unlimited for a week which was nice. I'm almost hoping they don't because I spent too much time on my laptop instead of enjoying the views, etc. I do like to check email daily. However, I can live without it and do a text to my son when I'm in port. We love Alaska and this will be our 3rd time on this itinerary - love it!

Karen

Hi Karen,

I know what you mean about the phone, I have a verizon that is by the minute, and it is more than I need right now. I know in Europe we took the internet package which was pricey but it was a way to keep in touch with home. Still haven't decided about this trip since we are in "the states" most of the time.

My first trip to Alaska and I can hardly wait.

thanks

Terri

Hi Karen' date='

I know what you mean about the phone, I have a verizon that is by the minute, and it is more than I need right now. I know in Europe we took the internet package which was pricey but it was a way to keep in touch with home. Still haven't decided about this trip since we are in "the states" most of the time.

My first trip to Alaska and I can hardly wait.

thanks

Terri[/quote']

See you there ;)

What/Where/When is the Polar Plunge? (Do I need to ask "Why"? LOL)

Are the swimming pools warm enough to swim in on the chilly Alaska days?

We're going on the next sailing & I'm thinking of lots of questions....

How much movement was there on the ship?

Thank you for this great thread,

Annie

What/Where/When is the Polar Plunge? (Do I need to ask "Why"? LOL)

Are the swimming pools warm enough to swim in on the chilly Alaska days?

We're going on the next sailing & I'm thinking of lots of questions....

How much movement was there on the ship?

Thank you for this great thread,

Annie

Hi Annie,

Polar Bear plunge was scheduled for the outdoor aft pool but moved at the last minute to the Lido pool. Both are heated and when the glass roof is closed on the Lido the air inside is warm too. For the polar bear plunge they had everyone jump in and then sit on the side while pouring ice water over them.

Most of the ocean movement was what I would call a gentle rocking and we only noticed it on sea days. One day northbound across the gulf of Alaska it Was strong enough to make you feel tipsy and bump into walls when walking around! The rest of the time it was smooth sailing.

Enjoy your trip.

Marc

Did they really bring back the baked Alaska?

What is the Mariner tile like?

Do the shops have a good assortment of goodies (on my Hawaii cruise this year we have minimal items in the shops)?

Blackets still available on the Lower Promenade Deck chairs?

Thanks

You are welcome. :)Yes, Cellar Master dinner was offered one night, sometime in the second week, if I recall correctly.

~marc

What is a Cellar Master Dinner?

thanks

Betsy

Love your feedback. Because if your post we are renting a car in Anchorage.

Do you remember if they still had a DVD player in your cabin? Want to take my stretching DVD's, and wondering if I need to carry my own player. Some of the ships have converted to streaming TV's. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love your feedback. Because if your post we are renting a car in Anchorage.

Do you remember if they still had a DVD player in your cabin? Want to take my stretching DVD's, and wondering if I need to carry my own player. Some of the ships have converted to streaming TV's. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yep, there was a smallish flat screen TV and a DVD player in our cabin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Which car rental did you use in Anchorage? Was it at a downtown location? Where does the shuttle drop you off in Anchorage? We are considering this in 2019 and want to rent a car for Anchorage.

Just returned home from our first cruise, the June 5-19 Great Alaskan Explorer on Amsterdam in a vista suite. We had open seating for MDR (flexibility is the way to go on this itinerary). Did 3 dinners in Pinnacle Grill including Le Cirque, all superb. 1 night in Canneletto was a nice diversion from MDR too. Amsterdam is showing her age in style and design but is well maintained and I found her to be very comfortable. The crew clearly has one goal - to make sure you have a great time on board. Our CD Jorge, stateroom stewards Deden and Putu, location guide Ryan, Mei in Pinnacle, Ferdi in MDR, Elvira in the photo studio, all excellent!

Here are some notes, ask any questions you have!

Amsterdam- loved this smaller ship. You can be anywhere in minutes and even though it was sold out it never seemed to be crowded.

Vista Suite- more like a balcony stateroom then an actual suite but to me it was worth it to have a floor to ceiling wall of windows to take in the never ending Alaska scenery and we enjoyed having a private SHELTERED (from wind and rain) outdoor space to enjoy it. On glacier viewing we did the approach on the crowded bow and then retreated to our balcony for quiet up close viewing.

Ports -

Ketchican, walked around Creek Street. Quaint, almost looks like Disney built an Alaskan town.

Tracy Arm, iced in. Diverted to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. Excellent. We were able to get very close and saw seals on the icebergs.

Juneau. We prebooked HAL tour Taku Glacier by Air, Water, and Ice. This includes helicopter, air boat, and a hike on the glacier but all helicopters were grounded due to low clouds/visibility. Saved a lot of money but was really looking forward to this excursion.

Icy Straight Point, loved this port. ZIPLINE! Don't worry about getting scared just do it. Worth every penny. Also very nice trails along beach and in the forest. No tanzanite in the gift shop :cool:

Anchorage, we rented a car and drove up scenic Turnagain Arm to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Bears, moose, raindeer, elk, buffalo. Then on to portage bay glacier and up close viewing on the M/V Patarmigan.

Homer - walked the spit and enjoyed a very sunny day on the beach.

Kodiak, walked cannery row to the Russian Orthodox Church and the Alutiq Museum.

Hubbard Glacier. Stunning! The conditions were good and the captain got us up close to see the glacier calve new icebergs.

Sitka, took the HAL tour Sea Otter Quest and Fortress of the Bear. A quick bus ride through town and then a stop at the Fortress to watch the bears play. Then onto a boat to see otters, humpbacks lunge feeding, and lots of eagles. The waterways around Sitka are full of small forested rocky islands, very scenic. Advice - bring rain gear. It is WET in Sitka. No joke, I say this as an Oregonian, i got SOAKED, but had a great time!

Victoria, obligatory Butchart Gardens. On the way back our tour bus driver offred to drop us downtown rather than return to ship. Explored and then took a $5 tourist shuttle back to the ship.

Questions about the ship, itinerary, or anything else? Fire away!

Which car rental did you use in Anchorage? Was it at a downtown location? Where does the shuttle drop you off in Anchorage? We are considering this in 2019 and want to rent a car for Anchorage.

This is a thread from last summer, and unfortunately I don't think the original poster, "infinitiandbeyond", has visited this forum since then, so she may not see your questions. Have you visited the Alaska forum here on Cruise Critic? It has a lot of good information, and you may find some answers there regarding car rentals in Anchorage.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

When my sister and I did this itinerary in 2016, the Port of Anchorage provided a shuttle that took us to the Egan Convention Center in downtown Anchorage. However, I don't know if that will be the case this Alaska season, 2018.

Here are a list of the daily cruise programs from our 2016 14-day itinerary on the Maasdam, if that is helpful to you. I believe the itinerary is the same as this year's:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2016/10/02/on-location-guides-3/

thank you ....I'll keep researching...I have plenty of time!

This is a thread from last summer, and unfortunately I don't think the original poster, "infinitiandbeyond", has visited this forum since then, so she may not see your questions. Have you visited the Alaska forum here on Cruise Critic? It has a lot of good information, and you may find some answers there regarding car rentals in Anchorage.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

When my sister and I did this itinerary in 2016, the Port of Anchorage provided a shuttle that took us to the Egan Convention Center in downtown Anchorage. However, I don't know if that will be the case this Alaska season, 2018.

Here are a list of the daily cruise programs from our 2016 14-day itinerary on the Maasdam, if that is helpful to you. I believe the itinerary is the same as this year's:

https://twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com/2016/10/02/on-location-guides-3/

If you're interested in seeing pictures to get some ideas for excursions, you might want to take a look at my wife's website at the link below. My wife took tons of pictures which include some of the ship we were on. We took this 14 day Alaska cruise on the Maasdam in August of 2016.

http://nancysoasis.com/2016alaska/alaska2016.html

• 3 weeks later...
Just returned home from our first cruise, the June 5-19 Great Alaskan Explorer on Amsterdam in a vista suite. We had open seating for MDR (flexibility is the way to go on this itinerary). Did 3 dinners in Pinnacle Grill including Le Cirque, all superb. 1 night in Canneletto was a nice diversion from MDR too. Amsterdam is showing her age in style and design but is well maintained and I found her to be very comfortable. The crew clearly has one goal - to make sure you have a great time on board. Our CD Jorge, stateroom stewards Deden and Putu, location guide Ryan, Mei in Pinnacle, Ferdi in MDR, Elvira in the photo studio, all excellent!

Here are some notes, ask any questions you have!

Amsterdam- loved this smaller ship. You can be anywhere in minutes and even though it was sold out it never seemed to be crowded.

Vista Suite- more like a balcony stateroom then an actual suite but to me it was worth it to have a floor to ceiling wall of windows to take in the never ending Alaska scenery and we enjoyed having a private SHELTERED (from wind and rain) outdoor space to enjoy it. On glacier viewing we did the approach on the crowded bow and then retreated to our balcony for quiet up close viewing.

Ports -

Ketchican, walked around Creek Street. Quaint, almost looks like Disney built an Alaskan town.

Tracy Arm, iced in. Diverted to Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier. Excellent. We were able to get very close and saw seals on the icebergs.

Juneau. We prebooked HAL tour Taku Glacier by Air, Water, and Ice. This includes helicopter, air boat, and a hike on the glacier but all helicopters were grounded due to low clouds/visibility. Saved a lot of money but was really looking forward to this excursion.

Icy Straight Point, loved this port. ZIPLINE! Don't worry about getting scared just do it. Worth every penny. Also very nice trails along beach and in the forest. No tanzanite in the gift shop :cool:

Anchorage, we rented a car and drove up scenic Turnagain Arm to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Bears, moose, raindeer, elk, buffalo. Then on to portage bay glacier and up close viewing on the M/V Patarmigan.

Homer - walked the spit and enjoyed a very sunny day on the beach.

Kodiak, walked cannery row to the Russian Orthodox Church and the Alutiq Museum.

Hubbard Glacier. Stunning! The conditions were good and the captain got us up close to see the glacier calve new icebergs.

Sitka, took the HAL tour Sea Otter Quest and Fortress of the Bear. A quick bus ride through town and then a stop at the Fortress to watch the bears play. Then onto a boat to see otters, humpbacks lunge feeding, and lots of eagles. The waterways around Sitka are full of small forested rocky islands, very scenic. Advice - bring rain gear. It is WET in Sitka. No joke, I say this as an Oregonian, i got SOAKED, but had a great time!

Victoria, obligatory Butchart Gardens. On the way back our tour bus driver offred to drop us downtown rather than return to ship. Explored and then took a $5 tourist shuttle back to the ship.

Questions about the ship, itinerary, or anything else? Fire away!

Thank you so much for your info. I assume your itinerary was different as depart from Vancouver arrive in Skagway for a land sea tour.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

. . .

Second, did you use the ship's tour to Butchart Gardens? I've read reviews that said the time was too short. What was your experience?

We did the Butchart Gardens tour a few times on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I'd suggest a ship's tour. The gardens are quite a drive from the ship, and one of our trips (with an afternoon arrival in Victoria) had us wondering if we'd make it back to the ship on time. We really enjoyed the gift shop at Butchart.

Edited by knittinggirl

USA, Canadian, Australian and European languages news sheets available in the MDR, LIDO, Explorers Cafe, and front desk every day. If you cannot find the one that you want ask for one to be printed.
On our Australia cruise, I started taking the Australia paper so I could keep track of their weather. May do the same thing in Alaska w/ Canada's news.