Best way to do Punta Sur or should I just do something else?

Pugster4

I really wanted to go to Punta Sur and was just planning to rent a vehicle to go but then read that might not be such a good idea unless I was familiar with Cozumel and driving laws there. The. I was looking at excursions and saw that most don't seem to spend much time there. I could do the ship excursion but it seems so expensive. Any thoughts? Or should I just do something else? It will be our first time to Cozumel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What did you want to do at Punta Sur? See the eco park? Climb the lighthouse? snorkel off the beach? A taxi will run you $20 plus tip each way (up to 4 passengers). Entrance to Punta Sur is $14 per person. Waiting time charges for a taxi is about $15-$18 per hour. so you're already talking about $60-$80 just to hang out at PS for an hour.

Car rental should be less than that (albeit you'll still have to pay the admission cost). Basically a straight shot from the piers to Punta Sur. When the road makes a sharp left, you go right.

Thanks crewsweeper. I was planning on just renting and hanging out there for the day but what some people said about renting and driving in Cozumel made me nervous. Would there be much to worry about renting and driving there? I know there was one lady I heard about that was great to rent from but I can't remember her name. I just don't want something to happen and get stuck in Cozumel when my ship takes off

I think the taxi fare to Punta Sur is more like $35 each way depending on pier, problem can be return transport as cell phone service can be spotty on the east side.

Logistics of transport cost depend to some extent on number of people in your group. Papitos (the beach club at Punta Sur) used to offer a RT transport option but I don't see it listed any more.

The rental agency you have heard about would probably be Rentadora Isis, (very popular option especially with land vacationers). They are located in town so not so convenient if you dock at International or Puerta Maya.

http://islacozumel.net/rentals/

Route to Punta Sur quite simple as Crew says, once you have worked out the one-way streets exiting town.

If you decide to rent be sure to read the above link in total and do your research. Not worth the hassle to us, especially for a cruise ship day, but other people will have different opinions. Just be sure you make an informed decision.

We have done Punta Sur by having a driver for the day and visited other places as well but not a particularly inexpensive option.

I think the taxi fare to Punta Sur is more like $35 each way depending on pier, problem can be return transport as cell phone service can be spotty on the east side.

Logistics of transport cost depend to some extent on number of people in your group. Papitos (the beach club at Punta Sur) used to offer a RT transport option but I don't see it listed any more.

The rental agency you have heard about would probably be Rentadora Isis, (very popular option especially with land vacationers). They are located in town so not so convenient if you dock at International or Puerta Maya.

http://islacozumel.net/rentals/

Route to Punta Sur quite simple as Crew says, once you have worked out the one-way streets exiting town.

If you decide to rent be sure to read the above link in total and do your research. Not worth the hassle to us, especially for a cruise ship day, but other people will have different opinions. Just be sure you make an informed decision.

We have done Punta Sur by having a driver for the day and visited other places as well but not a particularly inexpensive option.

c-legs, you'd be right on the taxi fare at 10 MX/$. Fare from PM/ Intel Intnl posted at 330MX With peso @ 18/, should be cheaper. But then there's the taxi rate board that sets the fares, who know what exchange rate they use. Any way, the OP can probably get a reasonable rental at either of these piers, if a solo traveler.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate your help. Maybe I should just find something easier to do and enjoy it instead of stressing how to do everything. I want to do a land vacation on the mainland sometime so maybe then I can just take a ferry over and do it

c-legs, you'd be right on the taxi fare at 10 MX/$. Fare from PM/ Intel Intnl posted at 330MX With peso @ 18/, should be cheaper. But then there's the taxi rate board that sets the fares, who know what exchange rate they use. Any way, the OP can probably get a reasonable rental at either of these piers, if a solo traveler.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Forums mobile app

Hi Crew!

I was basing my suggestion on the photo that was posted of the current fares at Puerta Maya after the increase in Dec 2016 and comparing to the rates I know for Punta Morena, besides it costs $25 just to get to Palancar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53093343&postcount=2

I know they haven't been using 10MX$ since the increase.

However you got me checking and after checking the latest rates I have in MX$

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/TAXIPUERTAMAYA

I am not sure what this means - it says "Punta Sur with waiting and states 2 hours" - I think that means 2 hours total (travel plus waiting) but that doesn't sound right?

Edited by c-leg5

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate your help. Maybe I should just find something easier to do and enjoy it instead of stressing how to do everything. I want to do a land vacation on the mainland sometime so maybe then I can just take a ferry over and do it

Maybe have a look at the Bar Hop Bus. If it's just yourself, it's a great way to see the whole island and experience a number of spots along the east side. You don't have to drink at every stop or drink to access but you will be with others and thus meeting new people and having a good time.

Good site. I usually use the PM port site. But this has a better selection of destination. Time seems to make sense if you only spend around an hour to 90 minutes there. If $35-$0 is RT that'd be a deal.:D

Agree, timing makes sense, but it IS a bargain if it is really 630MX total compared to 2x450 return to Palancar!

Maybe have a look at the Bar Hop Bus. If it's just yourself, it's a great way to see the whole island and experience a number of spots along the east side. You don't have to drink at every stop or drink to access but you will be with others and thus meeting new people and having a good time.

Bar Hop is a fun, well-organized tour of the island which is a good, cost-effective way to get an oversight of the island for one/two people. We are planning a repeat Hop for our next visit to Cozumel!

You don't say what you particularly wanted to see/do at Punta Sur but if you want you experience the wilder east side the Bar Hop is a good way to do it. Although Punta Sur is unique in itself - we haven't done the beach bar but we have done the crocodiles and lighthouse.

I've rented a car before on Cozumel and had no issues. It's basically one road around half of the island that then cuts straight through to get you back to where you started. Taxi prices are steep enough to make renting a car more reasonable, plus it gives you freedom to go and stop wherever you want.

Thanks again for all your help. I will be going with my wife and this will be our first time in Cozumel. We aren't drinkers but we're looking for a nice relaxing day. Punta Sur looked like a good spot since we could go see the lighthouse and the croc lagoon and then it looked like a nice beach for my wife to just completely relax and for me to do some snorkeling. Also liked that it would be away from the crowds. We are in Cozumel for 9 hours but we want to go into town for a little bit as well. I really do appreciate all the input and advice. I'm not set on going there so if anyone has other suggestions I will gladly listen.

How is the bar hop for people that don't drink at all? Do some people get pretty drunk?

Thanks again for all your help. I will be going with my wife and this will be our first time in Cozumel. We aren't drinkers but we're looking for a nice relaxing day. Punta Sur looked like a good spot since we could go see the lighthouse and the croc lagoon and then it looked like a nice beach for my wife to just completely relax and for me to do some snorkeling. Also liked that it would be away from the crowds. We are in Cozumel for 9 hours but we want to go into town for a little bit as well. I really do appreciate all the input and advice. I'm not set on going there so if anyone has other suggestions I will gladly listen.

How is the bar hop for people that don't drink at all? Do some people get pretty drunk?

There are lots of threads on here describing the Bar Hop and it has been enjoyed by drinkers and non-drinkers alike. It has not been a drunken orgy when we have gone but I am sure it varies on any given day depending on the group. I consider the included drinks to be more like shot glass samples of cocktails

http://cozumelbarhop.com/shots.aspx

For a full description of the tour the website is very good,and read the FAQ. There are video reviews on you tube.

However sounds like you are after a more relaxing day than sightseeing so you might want to look into Nachi Cocom, Palancar or a resort like Occidental day pass. Look at Cozumel Watersports websites for lots of options and I think an adult only day pass?

Another suggestion regarding Punta Sur would be to have a taxi take you there and stay while you do the lighthouse and lagoon then have them drop you off at one of the southern beach clubs Palancar, Paradise Beach; or Money Bar (for shore snorkeling, loungers and hammocks but no real beach) and take another taxi back at leisure or to town for shopping. Taxis are plentiful on Cozumel and not a problem in the main areas. Ask price before you get in taxi.

The Cozumel port board is very active so a quick glance down the first couple of pages will show you all the usual places that cruise ship visitors go.

Edited by c-leg5

Well thanks a lot for all the input once again. I have a while to think and plan on what I want to do so I will just have to keep an eye on the boards and see if something else really interests me since that sounds easier. If not I guess I can always figure something out to get out there. Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...
Well thanks a lot for all the input once again. I have a while to think and plan on what I want to do so I will just have to keep an eye on the boards and see if something else really interests me since that sounds easier. If not I guess I can always figure something out to get out there. Thanks so much!

Hi Pugster4,

Have you gone on your cruise yet?

If not, try Papito's - we booked it through shoreexcursioneer last year, and it was wonderful! It includes transportation there and back, and your driver stays with you. Your driver will turn in to Punta Sur, then go back past the lighthouse to a little "beach club" area with a secluded beautiful beach. We were the only ones there at 10am - had the place to ourselves! You get snorkel gear included, use of their chairs / umbrellas. There is a restaurant/bar for a snack or meal or just drinks. No loud music - very relaxing. *See attached pics

Three of the six of us snorkeled. It was a good 10 - 15 minute swim before you see any reef or fish, since it's just nice & sandy where you start. But we did see a ray, then some brain coral, lots of big angel-looking fish, parrot fish, etc... I wore a watch so I knew how long to stay out. Maybe stayed out for an hour. We saw about 8 other people there by the time we came back.

We asked our driver if we could go climb the lighthouse. He was happy to have us pack up a little early, then drove us back to the lighthouse (about 2 minutes away). A local guy showed us around the ruins and snapped some pictures of our group for us. Everyone was so nice. I would recommend "Papito's".

Papitos Cozumel pdf.pdf

Hi Pugster4,

If not, try Papito's - we booked it through shoreexcursioneer last year, and it was wonderful! It includes transportation there and back, and your driver stays with you. Your driver will turn in to Punta Sur, then go back past the lighthouse to a little "beach club" area with a secluded beautiful beach. We were the only ones there at 10am - had the place to ourselves! You get snorkel gear included, use of their chairs / umbrellas. There is a restaurant/bar for a snack or meal or just drinks. No loud music - very relaxing. *See attached pics

Three of the six of us snorkeled. It was a good 10 - 15 minute swim before you see any reef or fish, since it's just nice & sandy where you start. But we did see a ray, then some brain coral, lots of big angel-looking fish, parrot fish, etc... I wore a watch so I knew how long to stay out. Maybe stayed out for an hour. We saw about 8 other people there by the time we came back.

We asked our driver if we could go climb the lighthouse. He was happy to have us pack up a little early, then drove us back to the lighthouse (about 2 minutes away). A local guy showed us around the ruins and snapped some pictures of our group for us. Everyone was so nice. I would recommend "Papito's".

As I said in my first post, shoreexcursioneer used to offer two options with, and without, transport. I do not see the one with transport offered any more. Maybe if you email Papitos directly they could help, they have answered questions for me previously, although I don't see the option on their website either.

Hi Pugster4,

I have not gone on my cruise yet. I won't be going until next year but I am just a big planner and do everything early. Thanks so much for sharing this info with me! I will have to go take a look at it! Glad to hat you had a great time!