Internet Cafe - Jump Drive question

Justprettynpink

I know the internet is painfully slow, but I need to know if I can use a jump drive on the ship's computers.

I am a grad school student and might need to resubmit work that my professors can't grade. I do not want to bring my laptop on the cruise.

I have done all my work before I am cruising so I am being a good student. :D

Thanks in advance!!!

I know the internet is painfully slow, but I need to know if I can use a jump drive on the ship's computers.

I am a grad school student and might need to resubmit work that my professors can't grade. I do not want to bring my laptop on the cruise.

I have done all my work before I am cruising so I am being a good student. :D

Thanks in advance!!!

As others have mentioned, bring your own computer. Further, try to use a land based connection. It will be a faster upload. If you are looking for a decent connection in port, follow the crew. They typically know where the good services are provided.

Guest arowe6

Thinking outside the box here........ Assuming the files are a reasonable size, why can't you save them to Google Drive or iCloud and then download and attach as needed?

Or better yet, upload them all to dropbox and then grab a link and attach as needed?

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise! :)

-Andrew

Or upload them to one or more of those services and send all of the links to your professor(s).

As a professor, I would find that inappropriate and unacceptable. Few things annoy me more than a student who does this. Fresh in my mind since I had a graduate student do this very thing this week. It's lazy and creates extra work for me which I don't need with the number of students I need to accommodate, advise, and mentor. That said, it depends on the situation even with my preferences against this means of communication.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app

As a professor, I would find that inappropriate and unacceptable. Few things annoy me more than a student who does this. Fresh in my mind since I had a graduate student do this very thing this week. It's lazy and creates extra work for me which I don't need with the number of students I need to accommodate, advise, and mentor. That said, it depends on the situation even with my preferences against this means of communication.

As an IT person, I would find it inappropriate and unacceptable that the college/university doesn't have a reliable enough mechanism for a student to submit something and be able to trust that it'll be there for the professor(s) to review. If your students have reason to go out of their way to present you with the documents, you have reason to accept it willingly. (If they're just being paranoid, then OK your point is valid.)

Guest arowe6

:cool:

Or upload them to one or more of those services and send all of the links to your professor(s).

Not sure about iCloud, but Google Drive allows you to export and send a file in its native format. Assuming the ESP is able to send the file size. If the file is too big to send via email, a Dropbox link would have to be created. Or a thumb drive (which doesn't seem to be an option unless the OP wanted to travel with a laptop.)

Speaking from experience because I HATE traveling with my computer. The less things I have to pack (and remember to bring home) the better... :D

As an IT person, I would find it inappropriate and unacceptable that the college/university doesn't have a reliable enough mechanism for a student to submit something and be able to trust that it'll be there for the professor(s) to review. If your students have reason to go out of their way to present you with the documents, you have reason to accept it willingly. (If they're just being paranoid, then OK your point is valid.)

We offer course specific places to upload documents directly to the professor in a safe and protected environment online. All of my assignments are supposed to be uploaded there by my students. If they choose to use a different platform and just send me a link, that's where the issue arises. In that situation I would prefer a direct email. I should have clarified that this isn't a matter of IT or being a Luddite.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Forums mobile app