Vancouver Disembarkation -- HELP Needed

txwriter

Planning an Alaskan cruise in 2018. This is only my second cruise. The first was a LONG time ago (more than 25 years). The worst part of that trip (including the severe strain of my right ankle) was disembarkation in NYC. Horrible. I cannot emphasize enough how much we do not wish to repeat this experience.

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE (You can skip to the questions section if you don't want to understand WHY I'm dreading disembarkation so much):

We arrived in NYC (wonderful morning coming into port, seeing the Statue of Liberty from the deck of a ship), waiting with our group in a lounge, and then got off the ship. That's when things completely fell apart. No one directed us where to go or what to do. I think someone said to find our bags, so we did. Everyone was scurrying about a large warehouse like they'd been given some kind of secret sauce that helped them decipher the very confusing situation. But no one gave us any, so we just followed the others to a doorway. Hooray, we saw someone who looked like they'd know what was going on (wearing a uniform after all), so my mom asked, "How do we get to the buses?" (We'd figured out that much at least--we'd need a bus to get out of whatever hole we were in). The uniformed gentleman (a term I use loosely) said, "You walk. Like everybody else." Completely unhelpful!

We decided to continue following the other people (who still looked like someone had slipped them a micky with extra knowledge juice in it). My poor mom had one of those old heavy clamshell Samsonite bags with no wheels, so she was none too happy to be lugging it even further. We finally found the buses. Hallelujah. Wait, we didn't know which bus to get on.

Oh, look, there was another person who appeared helpful (wearing a uniform AND this time holding a clipboard too). We waited. And waited. And waited for the clipboard holder to acknowledge us and help us. Frustration mounting. FINALLY, were told to get on that bus and person pointed. Buses were leaving all around. Oh my gosh, were they going to leave us in this hole in NYC? Found bus. Scurried onboard and sat down. Whew!

We were on our way! Hallelujah. Going through NYC kinda cool. "Looks just like TV," I thought. Weird. Driving, driving, driving. Lots of buildings and some bridges and maybe a tunnel. Looking at watch and thinking, "We are gonna be late." Worried. Lots of worried grumbling aboard bus. Finally, we sight planes. And look, there's the American Airlines sign -- whoopee, that's my ride outta here. Wait. Passing sign. Still driving! Eek. What is happening?

After stopping at every other conceivable airline (and quite possibly a crop duster facility), we finally made it back to American Airlines. The very first airline we saw would be the last stop. Whew! Another hurdle jumped.

Get inside and go through security. Remember, way before TSA, so security is pretty easy. Put stuff on conveyor belt and go. Right? Sure. Except when they scan my mom's bag, they pull it off to manually search it. Apparently, her Bible "looked like a weapon" to them. Really? It's a square book made of paper. (I guess we shouldn't have given her that gun-shaped bookmark;)).

Practically running through airport trying to find our way (wasn't there a famous commercial like this?). Refuse to ask anyone else "How do I get there?" since we know the standard New Yorker response already (Mom still upset and saying so aloud about every five minutes about uniformed guy at port).

Have you ever seen one of those cartoons where they ask which way do I go and someone pops out with a sign that points in five different directions at once? That's exactly how it seemed that day at LaGuardia. But we make it to the gate...finally. Just after they have finished boarding. Darn.

Wait a minute. They can take us after all? Whew! and Hallelujah.

Get on flight and relax between Mom and sister who are both very upset over events so far. Sister cannot put her bag under seat in front of her because rude big footed man next to her has his bag there, and it is obvious (to him) that his bag deserved that space more than hers. I decide to move to back of plane where there are better seats after we are "free to move about the cabin," and Mom and sis agree. Luggage did not make the fight, so we had to go back to airport later. Long day, lots of drama. Not lots of fun.

Do not wish to repeat this scenario. Ever!

QUESTIONS ABOUT YVR DISEMBARKATION:

This time, mom is not able to carry her own bags. She uses a walker/rollator for distances, so I suspect she will be using when we disembark. Since we are going on the cruisetour first, we will have 4 bags and two carryons with us. And no, taking less is probably never going to happen. I cannot carry all of that myself.

We have the options of leaving the ship straight for the airport or staying overnight in Vancouver then going to airport the next day. What is the best way to do either of these and have minimum luggage handling required?

If we choose to stay overnight, do we need to use the Princess post cruise hotel package, or can we book our own? (I mean, I know we can DO either. I'm looking for best option to avoid doing an impersonation of a pack mule.)

How does the disembarkation process in Vancouver work? (Remember that I still haven't found that secret fountain of disembarkational knowledge juice, so please use smallish words).

Thinking of disembarkation is making me want to pull out my hair, and that's no bueno since I already use Rogaine (and that stuff is expensive--don't they know I'm saving money for a cruise?!).

Any help appreciated.

Jamie

We love the Pan Pacific. Take an elevator from the ship right up to the hotel.

Beautiful property and beautiful views.

Also the Fairmont Waterfront right across the street is an excellent property too.

Thank you, but how do my bags get there? Do I have to lug them? Can I get a porter?

I really need details on the process of disembarkation if possible.

What we do is we go to the colored baggage area appropriate for us (Princess will give you a color group and baggage tags with the same color) when our color group is called. I stay in one place and my husband looks for luggage. He brings each piece to me as he finds them. Once all of the pieces are located we follow everyone to the exit.

In your case have your mother stay in one spot and bring the luggage to her. Then find a porter (they will be available) and have him take your luggage to the elevator for the Pan Pacific or to the taxi stand if you are using another hotel.

If you decide to fly out the same day, Princess will offer a shuttle service to the airport. If you are lucky your airline will be participating in their "baggage to the airport" service (I forget what they call it, but it will be offered on your disembarkation survey), in which case you put your luggage out the night before and don't see it again until you arrive at your destination airport.

Safe travels!

Thank you, but how do my bags get there? Do I have to lug them? Can I get a porter?

I really need details on the process of disembarkation if possible.

A terminal porter than the Pan Pacific has their own.

The elevator comes up near the registration desk.

There will be plenty of help.

Or the Fairmont will assist you as well.

I live in Vancouver and I cruise to and from this port every year. I hope I can answer some of your concerns.

When you disembark the ship, you will be guided, by numerous and very approachable shore staff, to the luggage area. Your luggage will be grouped according to your disembarkation colour and/or number. In the luggage pick up area, you will find free luggage carts, if needed.

I find it helpful to carry as little as possible off the ship and just get my main luggage in the pick up area. However if you leave the ship a day early, you may have to drag your own bags off yourself. I have only once left a cruise a day early, on an overnight in Honolulu to catch a flight, and I had to manage my bags myself. There was no shuttle available, I simply took a cab to the airport.

Once you wheel your way into the main area of the terminal, again there will be multiple staff dressed in some kind of uniform to offer you guidance. They will ensure you get to the correct spot, whether you are looking for a cab, a bus or the elevator up to the Pan Pacific hotel.

If your cruise has a stop in Victoria on the way back from Alaska, many if not all of the ships now clear Canadian customs in Victoria. That makes disembarkation in Vancouver just that much easier. No need to fumble looking for your passport and customs documents while pulling luggage and keeping track of Mom! You literally walk off the ship, get your bags and walk out the door.

Vancouver airport also has free luggage carts, at least they did the last time I flew. Whether you take a cab or a shuttle to the airport, you should be able to quickly find a porter or a cart to handle your luggage.

Get inside and go through security. Remember, way before TSA, so security is pretty easy. Put stuff on conveyor belt and go. Right? Sure. Except when they scan my mom's bag, they pull it off to manually search it. Apparently, her Bible "looked like a weapon" to them. Really? It's a square book made of paper.

Actually, it is because is was a book they needed to inspect it.

The book shows up as a dense opaque object. Since they cannot tell what it really is, they need to inspect it with their eyes.

If the book has been in your checked luggage, TSA these days would open up your suitcase to inspect it.

After the recent Superbowl in Houston, attendees were warned not to pack their game program in their checked luggage. The program would appear as a suspicious object requiring the opening of all the luggage that had it inside. With tens of thousands of people flying out with the program, TSA said they would not be able to process all the checked luggage in time for it to make it to the flights.

TSA is very vigilant in their quest to protect us from bottled water and printed material.

If you decide to fly out the same day, Princess will offer a shuttle service to the airport. If you are lucky your airline will be participating in their "baggage to the airport" service (I forget what they call it, but it will be offered on your disembarkation survey), in which case you put your luggage out the night before and don't see it again until you arrive at your destination airport.

Service is called EZCheck.

a) It can only be used for flights departing after a certain time. Not sure what that time is, but probably no earlier than 11 AM. Might be later than that.

b) Not sure how US customs is handled if EZCheck is offered. You go through USA customs at the Vancouver airport, not when you land in the USA.

Thoughts....

• hope your luggage is not a black Samsonite.... I wasted 20 minutes looking for mine, when it was put in an adjacent line up.
  • taxi's may be the best choice to handle luggage minimally compared to the train or bus
  • Vancouver has lots of activities to offer for a multi-day stay

I agree; bite the bullet and stay at the Pan Pacific. It is the absolute easiest way to deal with the luggage and it's a great property. Downtown Vancouver is pretty compact and literally any sightseeing provider you can think of will have a pickup option right out front. Their bell team is exceptional and your luggage may actually be to your rooms before you are.

I can understand your anxiety and need for reassurance. We just got off the Coral Princess in Vancouver 2 weeks ago and had no problems. There will be waiting in reasonably quick moving lines as you go through Immigration and Customs. Your luggage (as mentioned above) will have colored tags you have placed the night before on the ship. The large area for bags is divided by color and should make your luggage easier to find. Perhaps place a brightly colored tag/ribbon, etc. so it will stand out among others. We were impressed with the large amount of staff present every few yards ensuring everyone was headed in the right direction. Am not sure where you would get a wheelchair for your Mom but think if she is able to get off the ramp from the ship into the terminal, I believe there were wheelchairs lined up.

Last time (2011) we too stayed in the Pan Pacific for one night and loved the city. We took a HoHo bus and got a quick overview, this might be a good option for you. Pan Pacific is a bit pricey but so convenient, Taxi to the airport is just a call away when you're ready.

This time, we did use the Princess transfer to the airport and it was quite a wait with hundreds of others. Got to the airport with 3+ hrs to spare.

Bottom line, there will be plenty of staff to help, just ask! Vancouver is a great city!

To say the least I will never go through Van Couver again!

Three ships in port and it is a nightmare. Do not take cruise

shuttle to airport. There are ships lines crisscrossing all over

the place, those getting off and those getting on. It is like the

Disneyland lines with everyone asking what line is which. I

asked several of these (helpers) and they say "Look over

there". Take a cab to airport, as it is two lane going and nothing

but red lights. The helpers tell you please be patient, as we

have three ships in port. Well, we use Fort Lauderdale with

eight ships in season does not run like this. We came back

on the Island three weeks ago. Seattle is the one in my

Alaska future.

If you have the time to take an extra day (or twelve) it's always a good idea. Especially since there's so much to see and do around Vancouver. If your budget can handle it, the folks steering you to Pan Pacific are offering great advice - it's definitely the least-possible-hassle option.

I think your queries have been covered above, but the mention of EZCheck needs clarified that it's NOT available in Vancouver in case you do decide to leave same-day. US CBP do not like unaccompanied bags - you must be heading through at the same time as your bags so EZCheck is not allowed in Canadian preclearance airports like Vancouver.

If mom can manage by herself with the Rollator and you can wheel all your bags on a cart, then if there's one available I'd just do that if you're staying at the PP - it's literally upstairs, so you just need to wheel the cart into an elevator and head to reception (IIRC the elevators actually list Reception by one of the buttons, as it's not on the ground floor like most hotels but further upstairs). If all the carts are in use already, it's not much to hire a porter compared to what a room in the PP will cost you;-)

Check prices independently and compare to cruiseline offering - sometimes there's a deal with the latter, although because they often include 'free' transfers to the hotel and there's no downtown hotel in Vancouver more than a $15 cab ride away the cruiseline rates are often outrageously padded unless you're a solo traveler when the 'per person' price works in your favour.

If PP is too pricey, book anywhere downtown that's in your budget - just be careful about any oddly-cheap hotels as there is sometimes confusion between e.g. the cities of West Vancouver, North Vancouver, and 'real' Vancouver locations (especially hotels called Pinnacle, of which there are three in two different cities). But even a blind-bidding site - if restricted to Downtown, 4* hotels - guarantees you will be not just in a nice hotel but in a nice, safe, convenient location for sightseeing.

Actually, it is because is was a book they needed to inspect it.

The book shows up as a dense opaque object. Since they cannot tell what it really is, they need to inspect it with their eyes.

If the book has been in your checked luggage, TSA these days would open up your suitcase to inspect it.

After the recent Superbowl in Houston, attendees were warned not to pack their game program in their checked luggage. The program would appear as a suspicious object requiring the opening of all the luggage that had it inside. With tens of thousands of people flying out with the program, TSA said they would not be able to process all the checked luggage in time for it to make it to the flights.

TSA is very vigilant in their quest to protect us from bottled water and printed material.

Interesting information. I have always carried books and magazines with me on my trips, and the only time we ever had a problem was that one time coming back from New York. I can better understand these days since they are even stricter, but it seemed very weird at the time--especially since I took one of the densest books possible when we flew to Orlando after TSA regulations were in place (a guidebook), and no one pulled my bag or anything.:confused: Ah, the mysteries of life.

In your case have your mother stay in one spot and bring the luggage to her. Then find a porter (they will be available) and have him take your luggage to the elevator for the Pan Pacific or to the taxi stand if you are using another hotel.

Excellent. Mom has a seat on her rollator, so she would be happy to stay in one place while I play fetch. I am happy to play rover, but I really don't like to be pack mule, so I LOVE the fact that there are porters.

I live in Vancouver and I cruise to and from this port every year. I hope I can answer some of your concerns.

When you disembark the ship, you will be guided, by numerous and very approachable shore staff YIPPEE and YAHOO to approachable, to the luggage area. Your luggage will be grouped according to your disembarkation colour and/or number. In the luggage pick up area, you will find free luggage carts, if needed. Carts = :D

Once you wheel your way into the main area of the terminal, again there will be multiple staff dressed in some kind of uniform to offer you guidance (I will take your word that uniforms will bring better results this time). They will ensure you get to the correct spot, whether you are looking for a cab, a bus or the elevator up to the Pan Pacific hotel.

If your cruise has a stop in Victoria on the way back from Alaska, many if not all of the ships now clear Canadian customs in Victoria. That makes disembarkation in Vancouver just that much easier. No need to fumble looking for your passport and customs documents while pulling luggage and keeping track of Mom! You literally walk off the ship, get your bags and walk out the door. (Vancouver is our last stop and first Canadian port, but good to know. Thanks!)

Vancouver airport also has free luggage carts, at least they did the last time I flew. Whether you take a cab or a shuttle to the airport, you should be able to quickly find a porter or a cart to handle your luggage. Luggage carts and porters...again, I say Hallelujah and huzzah.

Thanks so much for the information. I love hearing from seasoned travelers. I was picturing physically trying to manhandle all of that luggage plus watch my mom, and I nearly broke out in hives. Feeling better now. Sigh of relief. Whew!

Seattle is the one in myAlaska future.

I talked to Mom about this, but she wasn't keen on the idea of driving further to get on the plane, and the airfare is about the same from either airport to my home near DFW. I'm stuck leaving from Vancouver this time, but we will make the most of it with all the great advice I've been given here. :)

If you have the time to take an extra day (or twelve) it's always a good idea. Especially since there's so much to see and do around Vancouver. If your budget can handle it, the folks steering you to Pan Pacific are offering great advice - it's definitely the least-possible-hassle option.

I think your queries have been covered above, but the mention of EZCheck needs clarified that it's NOT available in Vancouver in case you do decide to leave same-day. US CBP do not like unaccompanied bags - you must be heading through at the same time as your bags so EZCheck is not allowed in Canadian preclearance airports like Vancouver.

I agree that the Pan Pacific sounds like a good option, but it looks like a cab wouldn't be too difficult to any hotel, so I will check those out a little later. Thanks so much for the update on the EZCheck option. There are some threads where it looks like it used to be available in Vancouver; glad to know it isn't an option.

I definitely think we will stay one night at least. I might check to see if there will be any ships coming in on Sunday as well since that might cause a big ruckus at the airport. Who wants a ruckus at the airport? Not I. That's for sure.

I definitely think we will stay one night at least. I might check to see if there will be any ships coming in on Sunday as well since that might cause a big ruckus at the airport. Who wants a ruckus at the airport? Not I. That's for sure.

There absolutely will be ships - either 2 or 3 - also in port on any Sunday. Since we shut Ballantyne pier the weekend days have pretty much all become 2/3 shippers at Canada Place from early May to mid-September. Weekend cruises sell better then weekdays since you guys down south make up the majority of pax and have terribly-short vacation allowances, so weekend capacity is always used as much as possible, with Sat/Sun at least 2 ships throughout the season.

Tuesday & Thursday are the 'days off' at Canada Place where there are very rarely any ships - a few oddities like The World that only visit once or twice or have multiple-day stays, and some of the very small fancy ships like Silver Shadow are about the only ones that ever dockj Tue/Thu. Not sure exactly when the 2018 schedule will be out, but you'll find the current one here and next year's will replace it in the same spot.

But do remember that if you beat that day's cruisers to the airport there won't be any ruckus! Since the earliest disembarkation slots start around 7:15am, with most folks getting off 8am-9am, that means any flight around 10am or earlier is a very safe bet to avoid the long queues. Or stay longer, and take a flight in the late afternoon - as long as you avoid the 'a bajillion people all head straight to the airport for flights in the 11am - 3pm window' it's all good.

I talked to Mom about this, but she wasn't keen on the idea of driving further to get on the plane, and the airfare is about the same from either airport to my home near DFW. I'm stuck leaving from Vancouver this time, but we will make the most of it with all the great advice I've been given here. :)

don't look at it as being "stuck" with Vancouver... the itinerary for Alaska is better departing Vancouver than Seattle because the Seattle cruises waste a day in Victoria and skip the inside passage. so you've made the best decision IMO. :)

also, I'll agree with the Pan Pacific advice. it's absolutely painless - within the same building as the cruise terminal.

the trip to the airport is a fairly speedy taxi ride (since I'm guessing you'll want to skip the skytrain with mobility issues in play)

enjoy your cruise and stay in Vancouver!

Hi Jamie. You were on our roll call for the Alaska cruise in May. Hope you are doing well.

If you decide to go right to the airport and don't want to deal with luggage, we have seen the Direct to Bus option offered for the past 3 years on our trips on the Star. It's free for those going to the US with a Princess transfer. After they take your luggage on the last night of the cruise, you don't see it again until you get to the Vancouver airport where it will be in a guarded area of the airport terminal. You'll also be escorted directly from the ship to the bus, skipping the busy cruise terminal. We did it once and it was a painless way to disembark.

Julie

Hi Jamie. You were on our roll call for the Alaska cruise in May. Hope you are doing well.

If you decide to go right to the airport and don't want to deal with luggage, we have seen the Direct to Bus option offered for the past 3 years on our trips on the Star. It's free for those going to the US with a Princess transfer. After they take your luggage on the last night of the cruise, you don't see it again until you get to the Vancouver airport where it will be in a guarded area of the airport terminal. You'll also be escorted directly from the ship to the bus, skipping the busy cruise terminal. We did it once and it was a painless way to disembark.

Julie

Hi Julie!

I've enjoyed reading all the reports you guys have posted. It worked out best that we did not go though I did miss meeting the gang. A week after we cancelled, my grandmother passed away. We wouldn't have enjoyed it, so we are now looking forward to next year.

Thanks for the info on the direct to airport buses.

don't look at it as being "stuck" with Vancouver... the itinerary for Alaska is better departing Vancouver than Seattle because the Seattle cruises waste a day in Victoria and skip the inside passage. so you've made the best decision IMO. :)

also, I'll agree with the Pan Pacific advice. it's absolutely painless - within the same building as the cruise terminal.

the trip to the airport is a fairly speedy taxi ride (since I'm guessing you'll want to skip the skytrain with mobility issues in play)

enjoy your cruise and stay in Vancouver!

I meant that Mom wasn't keen on taking bus from Vancouver to Seattle to get on flight there. We had decided early on to do the one way southbound cruise.

There absolutely will be ships - either 2 or 3 - also in port on any Sunday. Since we shut Ballantyne pier the weekend days have pretty much all become 2/3 shippers at Canada Place from early May to mid-September. Weekend cruises sell better then weekdays since you guys down south make up the majority of pax and have terribly-short vacation allowances, so weekend capacity is always used as much as possible, with Sat/Sun at least 2 ships throughout the season.

Tuesday & Thursday are the 'days off' at Canada Place where there are very rarely any ships - a few oddities like The World that only visit once or twice or have multiple-day stays, and some of the very small fancy ships like Silver Shadow are about the only ones that ever dockj Tue/Thu. Not sure exactly when the 2018 schedule will be out, but you'll find the current one here and next year's will replace it in the same spot.

But do remember that if you beat that day's cruisers to the airport there won't be any ruckus! Since the earliest disembarkation slots start around 7:15am, with most folks getting off 8am-9am, that means any flight around 10am or earlier is a very safe bet to avoid the long queues. Or stay longer, and take a flight in the late afternoon - as long as you avoid the 'a bajillion people all head straight to the airport for flights in the 11am - 3pm window' it's all good.

Thanks for the advice. 😄