Moral question about dog sled tours

Mountaineer0313

Would you go swim with Dolphins in Mexico? I wouldn't, so I know if was in your shoes choosing to do this excursion or not the answer would be no I wouldn't go, I understand what everyone has written below in regards to it being what they are born to do and bad apples and all that. I think it's totally a personal choice. Has it been your dream to dog sled? There are a billion other amazing excursions to do in Alaska. Some ships bring sled dog puppies on-board for people to pet and get their picture with the dog in port which is another way to see the dogs if it's a dog you want to see.[/quote]

I might point out that if the puppies were not ultimately be going to used as sled dogs and be kept outside which is what the OP hates, the puppies would not exist. So the OP will be supporting the practice she hates if she attends the puppy petting event.

DON

We did the dog cart ride at Caribou Crossing in Carcross on our Emerald Lake Tour with Chilkoot and loved it. The dogs seemed happy and well cared for. I would definitely do it again and recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...
Would you go swim with Dolphins in Mexico? I wouldn't, so I know if was in your shoes choosing to do this excursion or not the answer would be no I wouldn't go, I understand what everyone has written below in regards to it being what they are born to do and bad apples and all that. I think it's totally a personal choice. Has it been your dream to dog sled? There are a billion other amazing excursions to do in Alaska. Some ships bring sled dog puppies on-board for people to pet and get their picture with the dog in port which is another way to see the dogs if it's a dog you want to see.[/quote]

I might point out that if the puppies were not ultimately be going to used as sled dogs and be kept outside which is what the OP hates, the puppies would not exist. So the OP will be supporting the practice she hates if she attends the puppy petting event.

DON

Dolphins and sled dogs exist in very different situations though. I would not do a dolphin swim except under maybe very particular conditions but sled dogs wouldn’t be a problem at all so long as I was sure they were well cared for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you think the dogs are not being treated properly. I say don’t go.
That sure makes sense, but it's chilling how much that advice echoes other advice that leads to some really terribly immoral outcomes. With an Alaskan cruise coming up in a few months, I don't want think about it too much, but I could very much empathize with people who might question whether they're honor-bound to boycott (and even perhaps speak out against) cruises that sell excursions to activities that violate their moral principles, rather than just boycotting the individual excursions.

It's an individual decision. BUT I find the naive "assumption" that the "dogs love to run", a feel good idea that may not be reality based. I instead can speculate the reason for running is because they are short tethered for their lives and darn "happy" to finally be loose.

It is unknown to say the least. But, I find claiming something that is unknown, talking to yourself.

Newbie here, never been to Alaska (yet). But I do have a husky. That dog is never happier than when she is running. I have to take her to the doggie park several times a week to run herself tired or else she becomes crazy at home. And she is not short tethered at home.

On a related note, she cannot not pull when on her multitudinous daily walks. It's almost as if it is what she was bred to do! :D

From the AKC (American Kennel Club) http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/siberian-husky/#panel-1

Siberians are active, athletic dogs who need a lot of exercise. They are a working breed and happiest when they have a function to perform. Regular exercise is important both physically and mentally, and doing activities together strengthens the bond between dog and owner. Siberians were bred to run and will do so at every opportunity; it is vital to keep the dog on a leash, in harness, or in a fenced yard at all times. There are several AKC-sponsored activities that can be enjoyed by dog and owners—rally, agility, and obedience are a few. A busy and active Siberian is a happy and healthy Siberian. This breed is also very adaptable, and for those who live in a more urban setting, daily walks or doggie play groups can provide great exercise.

Also see AKC for information regarding the Alaskan Malamute.

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/alaskan-malamute/

These dogs belong to the "working group" of dogs. Anyone who has a "working group" dog or previously had one, know that these dogs are at their happiest when they are doing what they are bred to do. Think of a Labrador Retriever...they love nothing better than fetching and even more so if it's in the water. They come alive when they are doing what they were bred to do.

You can't assume that because they pull a dog sled, then they must be mistreated. Mistreatment would come in the form of not caring for the dog's needs and health. A responsible musher would not push their dogs beyond their capability. Nor would they ignore the dog's needs to exercise and to perform their jobs as they were bred to do.

Newbie here, never been to Alaska (yet). But I do have a husky. That dog is never happier than when she is running. I have to take her to the doggie park several times a week to run herself tired or else she becomes crazy at home. And she is not short tethered at home.

On a related note, she cannot not pull when on her multitudinous daily walks. It's almost as if it is what she was bred to do! :D

It is what she was bred to do!:D And that's what makes her the happiest, isn't it?

I don't think anyone has a problem with dogs running. I believe the concerns involve more specific aspects of how these specific dogs are treated.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

My step-grandmother had a couple of little dogs, normally would weigh about 5-6 pounds. She fed her little 'Mommy's love-loves' until they weighed around 20 lbs. They never went out except to do their business 20 feet from the door, were locked in the house for hours while they were gone, and died nasty deaths quite young from the canine version of diabetes, arthritis, and heart failure. And did I mention they were pretty much psychotic? She replaced them with 'Mommy's love-loves' 3 and 4, who ultimately met the same fate. That is dog abuse.

Dogs have always been working animals up until the last few hundred years, not pets. Most working breeds want to work. They haven't evolved yet into house pets. According to some of the arguments made here, we should allow our dogs to do whatever they want... They should not be "forced" to go on walks, go outside to do their business, do tricks, or any other behavior imposed on them by humans. In the same vein, we should not have horses and force them to be saddled and ridden or to pull anything. Or birds we lock in cages, or gerbils, or rabbits, or any other animal we force to live with us and abide by our wishes.

I guess that just leaves cats.......

My step-grandmother had a couple of little dogs, normally would weigh about 5-6 pounds. She fed her little 'Mommy's love-loves' until they weighed around 20 lbs. They never went out except to do their business 20 feet from the door, were locked in the house for hours while they were gone, and died nasty deaths quite young from the canine version of diabetes, arthritis, and heart failure. And did I mention they were pretty much psychotic? She replaced them with 'Mommy's love-loves' 3 and 4, who ultimately met the same fate. That is dog abuse.

Dogs have always been working animals up until the last few hundred years, not pets. Most working breeds want to work. They haven't evolved yet into house pets. According to some of the arguments made here, we should allow our dogs to do whatever they want... They should not be "forced" to go on walks, go outside to do their business, do tricks, or any other behavior imposed on them by humans. In the same vein, we should not have horses and force them to be saddled and ridden or to pull anything. Or birds we lock in cages, or gerbils, or rabbits, or any other animal we force to live with us and abide by our wishes.

I guess that just leaves cats.......

OMG....what a great post! It is so true!

As far as cats; we haven't figured out a way to herd them yet!

A lot of people are very misinformed about the "working group" of dogs and they want to boycott something that they know little about and the worst part is if they go to Alaska, they will have a first hand opportunity to learn and see for themselves. Don't judge all mushers by a few bad apples.

As mentioned before, the objection is not to the running of the dogs and partaking in the sledding, but the conditions they are left in when not out sledding. I’m sure there are reputable and some not reputable sledding operations.

It's an individual decision. BUT I find the naive "assumption" that the "dogs love to run", a feel good idea that may not be reality based. I instead can speculate the reason for running is because they are short tethered for their lives and darn "happy" to finally be loose.

It is unknown to say the least. But, I find claiming something that is unknown, talking to yourself.

I am facing the same problem planning an upcoming trip, but my quandary is based upon the daily care for the dogs, whether they have adequate vet care, clean, warm, and dry kennels, socialization, etc. . The one thing I don't have trouble with is the statement that huskies love to run. I've worked with dogs for over thirty years in a variety of positions as veterinary support staff, and I have had the good fortune to own several Siberian Huskies. While distinct from Alaskan Huskies, they share many traits, as do all sled dogs. They DO love to run. Many husky rescue groups will only adopt out to potential owners who have high enough fences, and sometimes those fences aren't enough. Still, I can't believe there isn't a better way than keeping them on such short tethers. A sheltered kennel building with individual runs in probably too expensive.

I love dogs and a dog sled tour is something I've been considering for our cruise to Alaska next year. I'm torn though, since my version of loving dogs is they live inside, sleep on fluffy beds, are warm when it's cold outside and cool when it's warm outside. I have nothing against dog sledding and I know the dogs who pull sleds love to do it, however, I'm just wondering if doing a sled tour and seeing were they live, tied up to their dog house as I've seen in numerous pictures, will ruin it for me. Is dog sledding something I should just pass up? Again, no snarky comments, I'm just wondering if it's something we should do or not.

Years ago I owned 2 Akitas. They would put their heads down and lean their shoulders into pulling me around the neighborhood when they took me for a walk.

Seriously ... I should have had a single seat cart and let them pull me. They LOVE LOVE LOVE to do it ... my Akitas did it naturally and my dogs and cats slept on the bed, sofa on top of us, had doggy doors to come & go as they pleased into a fenced backyard.

I am truly sad I did NOT do a dog sled ride when I visited Alaska. Yeah ... I wouldn't like seeing dogs staked outside a dog house ... but they are built for the weather and are perfectly healthy and happy. Dogs are working animals. We have dumbed them down, but they want to learn, train, perform, work, what have you.

Wild habitat. That is where the little critters get eaten by the bigger critters. And the bigger critters get eaten by even bigger critters, etc., etc., etc. In the end, the biggest critters die in the winter time because they can't find enough smaller critters to eat.

Do I have it right/ What is the mortality rate of wild animals as opposed to those who are not in the wild.

DON

Man being the biggest critter of all, eating the other critters. Circle of life.

As I posted before #50 if you choose not to participate in Sled Dog Excursions and feel strongly that the dogs are being abused, feel free to donate to this organization. Or even better if you are visiting Alaska, set up an appointment to visit them and make a donation. You will get an opportunity to educate yourself about the real conditions and help a worthy organization.

http://www.sleddogsanctuary.com/

Visit their website for ways you can help. It looks like visiting is by appointment.

Man being the biggest critter of all, eating the other critters.
Though not all people do that.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Budget Queen, as you may have guessed in the past, you know I have a dog kennel...All of my dogs have raced 1,000 mile races. My oldest dog is now 18. She has over 60,000 miles on her 4 paws. Of course she is a house dog now and is in remarkably good shape. My dogs LOVE to run.....Whether they are on a tether or in the house, when they hear the dog truck start up, the barking starts...They are so disappointed if they can't go...Being on a tether is a safety issue. Many dogs are not spayed or neutered...They are like humans, they have a pecking order...It is not safe to let 40 dogs out at one time unless you are right there with them. Tethering them provides social stimulation for them...They can play with their neighboring dogs. My dogs go willingly to their tethers after running free every day....As for vet bills? All mushers have tremendous vet bills..Many of us can take care of routine problems ourselves. We know our dogs intimately...and they know us also. My vet bill is in the 1,000's every year....if it wasn't, I could go on more cruises...:) Listen to Libby talk about her dogs on every Princess ship...Listen to the pride we have in our dogs....and the love we have for them. Very few mushers ever make any money from our sport. I can name them on one hand. It takes between 50,000-60,000/yr to run and maintain a race team....Are there bad guys in the sport? Yup, just like parents....most are good and should qualify for sainthood.....some are not so good, and a very few are downright bad. But please, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most of us adore and care for our dogs....and can you love so many? Yup, just like kids...You can have 10 and still love all of them.....AND, know their names.

539286_404439132935551_1779732994_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e716364f5d1c383945c374945e0937ef&oe=5B75D744

these are my dogs starting the Yukon Quest...a 1,000 mile race from Fairbanks, AK. to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. They also sleep on my bed and they are also tethered....Many times I have had 25 dogs in my house...It is not unusual for a musher to do that...really....Right now I have 10 of them inside...As far as cold? They sleep on top of their house until it is about -10 degree F....They all have double coats that can keep them warm in -50....It is the mushers that have problems with the cold..rarely the dogs...

Edited by laughing husky
addition

12933058_10209441351576427_6961540657577183562_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=15f79d14c16a01864a63e1982ea7872b&oe=5B75B93C

this is a very good friend of mine who ran the glacier operation on the Herbert Glacier for many years....This is his house, his dogs...all of these dogs have run multiple 1,000 races and some of them still do...Hope that these photos relieve some of your fears about sled dogs.

Edited by laughing husky
addition

539286_404439132935551_1779732994_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e716364f5d1c383945c374945e0937ef&oe=5B75D744

these are my dogs starting the Yukon Quest...a 1,000 mile race from Fairbanks, AK. to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada. They also sleep on my bed and they are also tethered....Many times I have had 25 dogs in my house...It is not unusual for a musher to do that...really....Right now I have 10 of them inside...As far as cold? They sleep on top of their house until it is about -10 degree F....They all have double coats that can keep them warm in -50....It is the mushers that have problems with the cold..rarely the dogs...

Absolutely Beautiful Photo!! I can't stop looking at it! Now...those are some happy, excited dogs! My hat's off to you laughinghusky(great name)! Thank you so much for sharing your passion with us. Wishing you the best on your next Quest!

I have often wondered...how well do the booties stay on the dogs??

Absolutely Beautiful Photo!! I can't stop looking at it! Now...those are some happy, excited dogs! My hat's off to you laughinghusky(great name)! Thank you so much for sharing your passion with us. Wishing you the best on your next Quest!

I have often wondered...how well do the booties stay on the dogs??

If the booties are put on correctly....they will last until you take them off. On a 1,000 mile race with 12-16 dogs, you will go through 1500 booties....they are roughly 1.00 each...They are used to protect the feet from cold snow which can be very abrasive....I might add, when people are talking about dogs running and jumping fences...they are usually talking about Siberian Huskies, which is very much a different breed of dog compared to Alaskan Huskies...Us Alaskan Husky owners called Siberian Huskies....Slowberian...much to the discontent of their owners...:) Alaskan Huskies are very well bred mutts...and have a much different temperament than a Siberian....They tend to be calm and they tend to LOVE couches....It is a sport that can be done equally well by both men and women....and children...Kids as young as 3 race with one dog...It teaches them responsibility...By the time they are 12, they can do the Jr. Iditarod which is 150 miles with up to 12 dogs that they have to do in the wilderness without help. They have to camp out with their dogs and bring them all back..and take excellent care of them. Not many kids on the outside are even allowed to go to the mall by themselves, no less out in the wilderness on a 3 day camping trip with their best friends...:)

28516106_10212095360399335_8813311626112284106_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=23d8a568457be47da7e74ce8f63ef021&oe=5B6D3D88

The brown dog in front is the same dog that is in the front of the last photo...This is Harley, part of the motorcycle litter....He also raced in this year's Iditarod..We love our dogs...and we care for them...and we take care of them...not all that you read is true..go see for yourselves..

If the booties are put on correctly....they will last until you take them off. On a 1,000 mile race with 12-16 dogs, you will go through 1500 booties....they are roughly 1.00 each...They are used to protect the feet from cold snow which can be very abrasive....I might add, when people are talking about dogs running and jumping fences...they are usually talking about Siberian Huskies, which is very much a different breed of dog compared to Alaskan Huskies...Us Alaskan Husky owners called Siberian Huskies....Slowberian...much to the discontent of their owners...:) Alaskan Huskies are very well bred mutts...and have a much different temperament than a Siberian....They tend to be calm and they tend to LOVE couches....It is a sport that can be done equally well by both men and women....and children...Kids as young as 3 race with one dog...It teaches them responsibility...By the time they are 12, they can do the Jr. Iditarod which is 150 miles with up to 12 dogs that they have to do in the wilderness without help. They have to camp out with their dogs and bring them all back..and take excellent care of them. Not many kids on the outside are even allowed to go to the mall by themselves, no less out in the wilderness on a 3 day camping trip with their best friends...:)

Thank you so much for sharing your life and experiences. We who live in other parts of the country and world know so little about life in Alaska. I guess that's why it's so interesting to the rest of us. We must remember not to judge or equate it to the simplicity of our own style of living. Except maybe for our dogs that love a good stretch out on the couch!!

I had never heard of the Jr. Iditarod....facinating and bravo to the young girls and boys! What an amazing experience in self reliance!