Do they change the comforters on the beds between sailings?

[quote name=

People also often take the comforters off the bed and throw them in a corner on the floor for the week. They get put back on the bed after that guest checks out.

I just asked a friend of mine who worked at Hampton Inn many years ago as a housekeeper. She confirmed that they did not change the top blanket (comforter), sometimes for MONTHS at a time. That is really gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is exactly why I do not use the comforters in hotels. I know they do not clean them with each visit. That is gross! I do not care what anyone says. It is gross!

As a frequent traveler it's best to NEVER think about this sort of thing. No matter how fancy your hotel or cabin is you are STILL putting your head where thousands of other people put their heads or drying your hair with towel last guy dried their ass. Don't even think about sexy time fluids. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a frequent traveler it's best to NEVER think about this sort of thing. No matter how fancy your hotel or cabin is you are STILL putting your head where thousands of other people put their heads or drying your hair with towel last guy dried their ass. Don't even think about sexy time fluids. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c3d3787417072e474837cd57c8c7c8da7f7d2d6d34b9f128ffec744f31f5306a.jpg

14814736_borat.jpg.696f2eba68d3c73d2a43969fde2380d3.jpg

Excuse me but I'm confused, I thought a Duvet was a Comforter and all the bad press was about Bed Spreads on hotel beds as not being cleaned. The duvet or comforter has a washable cover (sheet) covering it so its no big deal, those are washed and sanitized by the laundry EVERY time. You are not sleeping on used covers.

Many many hotels now no longer use a bed spread and have that trendy strip of cloth at the foot of the bed which I immediately remove and shove in a drawer or the shelf in the closet.

Excuse me but I'm confused, I thought a Duvet was a Comforter and all the bad press was about Bed Spreads on hotel beds as not being cleaned. The duvet or comforter has a washable cover (sheet) covering it so its no big deal, those are washed and sanitized by the laundry EVERY time. You are not sleeping on used covers.

Many many hotels now no longer use a bed spread and have that trendy strip of cloth at the foot of the bed which I immediately remove and shove in a drawer or the shelf in the closet.

A Duvet has a cover which can be removed and washed/changed whenever desired... a comforter, on the other hand, is a one piece bedcover which is not easily separated.

So, the cruise lines generally use a Duvet and change the cover of the duvet. As far as I'm concerned, and upon inspection of each, I would say they are changed each cruise since I've yet to find even one little speck of dirt or even one bit of human hair on any.

PS. having worked in a hospital for many years, I'm NOT a homaphobic and tend to depend on my own level of cleanliness, not someone elses, to prevent problems and maintain my healthy lifestyle.

PS. having worked in a hospital for many years, I'm NOT a homaphobic and tend to depend on my own level of cleanliness, not someone elses, to prevent problems and maintain my healthy lifestyle.

oh cool what do you do for a living?

The pillows all have pillow protectors in addition to the pillowcase so those protectors should be getting cleaned regularly. The protectors should be preventing any transfer to the pillows themselves. I reckon the pillows do get cleaned though as I found feather pillows in my studio cabin and when I asked housekeeping to change them they told me the only feather pillows on the ship should be in the Haven suites, so the only way they could have wound up in my cabin was via a mix-up in laundry.

Actually, I bought my own pillow protecters at Bed, Bath and Beyond and always take them to hotels and cruises. That way I can sleep much better knowing there is a barrier between me and germs, miles, etc

A Duvet has a cover which can be removed and washed/changed whenever desired... a comforter, on the other hand, is a one piece bedcover which is not easily separated.

So, the cruise lines generally use a Duvet and change the cover of the duvet. As far as I'm concerned, and upon inspection of each, I would say they are changed each cruise since I've yet to find even one little speck of dirt or even one bit of human hair on any.

On Royal Caribbean (at least their older ships), they still use comforters. And they are not in good shape. And I don't think they get washed every week. Maybe NCL is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I honestly don't know how some people can travel at all based on this interesting and entertaining thread. Germs are EVERYWHERE! A reasonable amount of concern is healthy - you see something dirty, you ask it to be taken care of...or maybe you spray your room with disinfectant ( but note, that really only builds up the tolerance of the germs that survive - so over time, your disinfectant will be less effective). You can't avoid germs - not even with some of the more extreme examples in this post. There probably are some coping tools available that can help minimize the angst this seems to cause for some . I have to assume these kinds of concerns extend far beyond a cruise ship.

Sent from my XT1575 using Forums mobile app

This totally grosses me out! Y'all are worried about the duvet...but I absolutely cannot sleep on those used pillows! Even with a clean pillowcase, I know hundreds/maybe thousands of people have sweated, drooled, whatever on that pillow[emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

And they probably did those things and more on the airplane seat you sat on, the seat in the airport you sat on, not to mention every door knob and railing you touch. Also, the toilet paper roll that was partially used by someone else.

Also, if the person before you in a cabin or hotel only used 2 of the 4 towels, do they replace the two that are unused or leave them for you? sure they look clean and folded but maybe the last person wiped their butt on them.

You can't fixate. Unless you live in a bubble, you come into contact with millions of germs a day.

And they probably did those things and more on the airplane seat you sat on, the seat in the airport you sat on, not to mention every door knob and railing you touch. Also, the toilet paper roll that was partially used by someone else.

Also, if the person before you in a cabin or hotel only used 2 of the 4 towels, do they replace the two that are unused or leave them for you? sure they look clean and folded but maybe the last person wiped their butt on them.

You can't fixate. Unless you live in a bubble, you come into contact with millions of germs a day.

I generally don't think about all the germs lurking just about everywhere all around us no matter where we are. But I do take one of those wipes they offer at the grocery store and wipe the handle and seat of the cart. Mainly because little kids sit in those seats and little kids are always sick...not to mention their unchanged diapers that leak on the seats. Not sure if those wipes are doing me diddly squat but I use them anyway..........it's all in the mind and doing what makes the world seem right to you even if it really isn't. ha!

The first thing I do when I arrive at any hotel that has anything other than a duvet cover is to strip the comforter and throw it in the corner.

I do too. And I don't want it back on my bed the next day.

Ironically, I tend to sleep between the duvet cover and the comforter. ;p

I find it's best not to fixate on this type of issue. It can spiral out of control. When you think about what the people who stayed in your cabin or hotel room before you possibly touched and contaminated, the possibilities are endless. Same with dining out, god knows what someone in the kitchen could do to your food and you'd never even know. Ever sit down in a movie theater and think about all the greasy heads that leaned back right where your head is now? Ick. However you've just got to get through life and hope for the best! And assume that any reputable hotel or cruise line will follow protocols that will minimize the spread of germs and dirt. If they didn't everyone everywhere would be constantly ill.