Just Back - Zenith Thanksgiving 4 Day Sailing - Save your money for longer cruises!

micheleg

As far as dress codes are concerned, perhaps Celebrity should do as Radisson does for short cruises--adopt a "country club casual" code for anything five days or less.

We have a 4 & 5 night b2b booked on Century to sail with friends. If Celebrity adopted this policy I would give it my best shot to convince the others to look elsewhere for our reunion cruise. I have no interest in this type of dress code. I can find that anywhere on land. If it were only for 4 nights, I may consider it, but I imagine that most of the X faithful who choose this ship & it's shorter itineraries in the future will book the b2b to get a longer cruise. Besides, aren't some of the problems that people have with shorter cruises the difference in clientele & change in ambience. IMHO, taking away the formal nights would magnify these problems. I guess I just don't get it anyway. It takes my DH about 3 extra minutes to dress formally than casually for dinner. For me, it's a dress or skirt to put on either way. I spend more time with my hair for formal evenings, but that's my choice. I just don't see how it could possibly inconvenience others so much. Sorry, for the rant. I'm off my soapbox now. :)

you know it doesn't bother me much either way, but I do like the dress code enforced. I see why it is a bit more casual on the shorter cruises: there are normally younger cruisers on the short cruises as many want to try a short cruise before deciding if cruising is for them or they are passengers just looking for a quick few days away from the hussle, bussle of daily lives. They really are not planning on this being their big vacation and don't book months in advance. If the dress code is not going to be enforced then change it for heavens sake. This seems to be the policy across the cruise boards: dress code, not being enforced. NMnita

After reading the reviews post dry-dock I'm now having serious reservations about sailing in March on the Zenith. We chose this cruise because of the date/ports/price and wanted to try Celebrity. With a little research I could find another cruise(different line) with the same pp price. I don't expect perfection but even at home my food is warm and my bedding isn't stained and threadbare. We have sailed on Disney 3 times and they don't adjust the quality based on length of the cruise. I was looking forward to trying Celebrity and experiencing the product as advertised. Hopefully the reviews will become more positive.

We were on the 5 day cruise leaving Nov. 19th. Our itinerary was changed and we had a lot of wind but it was a delightful trip -- largely due to the spirit and events of the crew and passengers on the Zenith.

Food was really good and we thought the entertainment much, much better than expected.

We have sailed previously on Silverseas and Radisson so we've done the upscale lines. This was exactly what was promised -- a clean, classic ship with good food and entertainment and more than adequate service. Because of the holiday, there were a lot of large family groups -- all well behaved and festive.

Don't worry about cruising on this ship. It's a winner and 5 days was the perfect length. Enjoy!

This sounds like Norweigen "Free Style". You might be dressed to kill and be at a table that has someone with jeans, "but they are doing it the way they want".

When I had to wear dress clothes all the time, I looked forward to dressing down. Now that I wear jean shorts all the time, I look forward to a cruise so I can dress up.

This sounds like Norweigen "Free Style"

When we have sailed on NCL the rule was no blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare midriffs or bare feet in the main dining rooms. People so dressed were nicely directed to the buffet or one of the pubs.

"freestyle" is not as free as one might believe.

When we have sailed on NCL the rule was no blue jeans, t-shirts, shorts, cut-offs, tank tops, bare midriffs or bare feet in the main dining rooms. People so dressed were nicely directed to the buffet or one of the pubs.

"freestyle" is not as free as one might believe.

WE too have seen people turned away and have seen the sign by the entrance of the restaurants: no shorts, jeans, tank tops or bare midriffs. Freestyle is exactly what it states within reason. It does not mean, be a slob or dress down too much. NMnita

My thoughts are this:

1. folks should remember that the OP was discussing issues on a HOLIDAY budget sailing. That alone is bound to attract a vast percentage of pax with little, if any, cruising background. Even moreso, these types of cruises will ALWAYS have a significantly higher number of kids on board than any other sailings.

that said,

2. Folks with future sailing reservations on Zenith shouldn't start pulling their hair out over one or two reviews. Keep in mind that having families on board en masse will always make the environment quite different. X does a poor job of catering to families and children ON PURPOSE. That's simply not the market they're after.

that said,

3. A value, short sailing will always attract a higher percentage of value vacationers. Case closed.

X does a poor job of catering to families and children ON PURPOSE. That's simply not the market they're after.
Oh boy, if that is the case, our family is in pretty huge trouble on a 12 night sailing :rolleyes: Three of the six of us have already sailed Celebrity 4 times. So they are really going to have to tick those 3 off to make them not come back...

Dh, myself and dd- yeah she is only 9 and actually lived to tell about a 10 night sailing on HAL last Christmas. Lucky for her, we were able to hide her away in the kid's club, even when there was no staff available because they did not "feel" like working. :eek: Now how is THAT for NOT catering to children ON PURPOSE? :)

Dd does not anticipate Celebrity being any worse this year. Already know of 3 other girls in her age range on our roll call thread, along with some boys, so I guess the adults can as much as write off the Galaxy cruise on December 17...BTW, she is also not allowed to use any of the hot tubs by order of her parents who will btw, be using the T-pool while she is stuffed away in the kid's club.:cool:

Dh and I still have a few years of cruising ahead of us. Hopefully we won't have to take our money elsewhere, If you are right and Celebrity is not "catering" to families and children "on purpose". Of course there is always Princess, maybe sail one of those MEGA liners where we can stuff our dd in their kids club and enjoy the peace and quiet at the "adults only" swimming pool...:D

We didn't see shorts or cut offs or bare midriffs on Norweigen but saw jeans every night and no one was turned away. Formal night was the biggest disappointment with most not even wearing a tie.

We have never seen this on any cruise, not even NCL freestyle. The first time we did freestyle we ate in the dress down dining room on formal optional night; no one was dressed up but most were wearing nice dresses with the guys in nice sport shirts, some with ties. Since then we have cruised freestyle 4 times, always found the formal optional night to be pretty much formal: not many tuxes or long dresses, but nice cocktail dresses for the gals and at least sport coats for the guys. The one thing I have noticed on NCL, many change their clothes after dinner to more comfortable outfits. On Celebrity we did not see this at all. I guess it depends on the particular ship as well as the line. NMNita

We did a 4 or 5 day on Mercury in Sept to Pacific NW & really cannot relate to the negatives mentioned above...maybe each ship has it's own personality. The ship was spotless with some wear in soft goods--like bedcovers etc. Service in cc was impeccable, dr food very good not great--but the whole trip was quite lovely.

We always take one longer cruise each Spring but with work responsibilities our timeoff is limited. We are glad to get some short options for one other cruise each yr. Hoping Century will be a bright light.

Also the short trips with cc help us get to Diamond sooner... you get the same double points no matter if its 4, 5 7 10 or 12.......can't wait From the tone of the postings perhaps it is time Zenith is realy refurbushed or retired--would not consider her although we are dying to go to Bermuda! Maybe century will take that route????

We didn't see shorts or cut offs or bare midriffs on Norweigen but saw jeans every night and no one was turned away. Formal night was the biggest disappointment with most not even wearing a tie.

Did you, by chance, sail out of Texas?

NCL has a special policy on cruises sailing out of Texas ports, Jeans and string ties are allowed as a concession to "local custom".

Hey, I didn't write the rule, it's up on their website -

I don't think it is shorter cruises per se that attracts a different demographic as much as very cheap per diem rates. If I am spending a few hundred dollars a night to stay at a hotel, I expect the same level of service whether I am there for a long weekend or a full week. The same is true for a cruise. However, if I was getting a bargain basement rate, I know in my heart that either will feel pressured to cut corners in order to stay profitable. Of course, there are exceptions such as when hotels have a special convention rate for people attending a meeting because their professional organization will be spending a small fortune on meeting rooms, convention banquets, etc.

I don't think it is shorter cruises per se that attracts a different demographic as much as very cheap per diem rates. If I am spending a few hundred dollars a night to stay at a hotel, I expect the same level of service whether I am there for a long weekend or a full week. The same is true for a cruise. However, if I was getting a bargain basement rate, I know in my heart that either will feel pressured to cut corners in order to stay profitable. Of course, there are exceptions such as when hotels have a special convention rate for people attending a meeting because their professional organization will be spending a small fortune on meeting rooms, convention banquets, etc.
I think it is a combination of rates and length of cruise. Of course they normally go together. I too would like the same service, but have never gotten it, so have learned not to expect it. We only do 4 day or 5 in this case under very special circumstances. Our will be a special circumstance: oldest granddaughter is getting married and she had to find something her friends who are all just out of college or seniors could afford. Outlander: here in NM we call string ties: Bollos!!! LOL NMNita

Was this the sailing that picked up the migrants?

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/world/cuba/13279922.htm

Hi etoile...yes it was. We watched the whole rescue in the afternoon and then watched as the Coast Guard picked them up at 11:00 PM that same night at sea. Those 10 folks surely would have died. It was so rough that day. The Captain did a fantastic job of stopping the ship and positioning it so as not to overturn the Cuban's boat.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Michele

Wow! What an interesting and unusual experience for a cruise. Thank you for the information, Michele. I am really amazed that a ship the size of Zenith was able to stop for such a small boat...it seems like they wouldn't be able to maneuver alongside without knocking over. Or do you know if perhaps they lowered a lifeboat to the water and sent it out to get them?

I've taken two 4 day cruises to date and had a great time with both. Sure, the longer cruises are tailored for more pampering and more formal nights but its a great sampler for newbies and great for a short break for seasoned travellers who just want to disappear for a few days. They may not be to everyone's liking but I see nothing wrong with them either. Service depends on the company and the individuals serving you and not the length of a voyage. For example the cabin steward I had on my last 4 day outing was the best ever and I have yet to see a long cruise or even a land based hotel give me the same treatment as our cabin steward provided. Someone got a rather big tip on that short outing.

We will be on the Zenith Saturday and meeting 20 other CCers both veterans and newbies. I expect we will have a great time regardless of the trip being only five nights. We are planning a meeting at the Fleet at five so as not to waste a minute of social and party time. WE'll report back!!!!

Rita

I've taken two 4 day cruises to date and had a great time with both. Sure, the longer cruises are tailored for more pampering and more formal nights but its a great sampler for newbies and great for a short break for seasoned travellers who just want to disappear for a few days. They may not be to everyone's liking but I see nothing wrong with them either. Service depends on the company and the individuals serving you and not the length of a voyage. For example the cabin steward I had on my last 4 day outing was the best ever and I have yet to see a long cruise or even a land based hotel give me the same treatment as our cabin steward provided. Someone got a rather big tip on that short outing.

It is a great way for newbies to get their feet wet, pardon the pun. For us, it isn't a matter of not enjoying ourselves on the 4 and 5 dayers, it is just a preferance for the longer cruises. NMnita

Wow! What an interesting and unusual experience for a cruise. Thank you for the information, Michele. I am really amazed that a ship the size of Zenith was able to stop for such a small boat...it seems like they wouldn't be able to maneuver alongside without knocking over. Or do you know if perhaps they lowered a lifeboat to the water and sent it out to get them?

Hi etoile :)

The ship came to a complete stop. The seas pretty much pushed the boat towards the Zenith, along with the Cubans rowing towards us with the two oars that we could see. They had no engine that we could see, or if they did have one, it was an inboard and they were out of gas. There was no rescue boat sent to them. Once the boat came up to the ship, they held onto it and opened the side doors and threw life jackets to everyone. They held on to the boat and the Zenith crew helped them onboard. Once everyone was safely onboard, the Zenith cranked up her engines and off we went...the Cubans boat was left adrift and we watched it float off as we sailed towards Miami.

Same thing when the Coast Guard came to get them. We came to a complete stop and the Coast Guard sent one of their rescue boats to the ship, and they were put onto that boat from the same lower deck and then transported back over to the Coast Guard ship.

As of yesterday, they were still onboard the Coast Guard cutter until immigration could determine their status. Very touchy subject with the "Wet Foot/Dry Foot" immigration laws here. There was nothing in the Miami Herald this morning, so I guess nothing's been decided or they're keeping it quiet if they got sent back to Cuba. In all of my years of cruising, this is the first time I've ever experienced anything like this. It was very interesting to watch the enter process.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michele

In my opinion, there are three basic reasons why people take short four or five night cruises. One is price, because not only is someone paying for less days, these cruises often have a per diem rate that is much lower than on longer cruises, as well. This type of cruiser is usually more concerned with price than overall cruise experience and the cruise lines know they can get away with cutting a few corners on them to offset their unusually low prices.

Second is time, because there are many people who have very demanding careers that make it difficult for them to get away for a longer cruise, as well as those who are trying to organize a mini family reunion and need to consider the tme restraints of other family members. This type of cruiser would like to enjoy the same amenities as if they were on a longer cruise and is willing to pay a higher per diem rate to get it. Unfortunately, there aren't many short cruises that actually deliver this type of product.

Third is someone who has never cruised before and wants to try a short cruise to see if they will like it. This may be a person that is use to staying at upscale hotels, etc, who will be turned off by his/her experience on a short cruise. Sadly, that person may decide that cruising is not for them even though they might have felt very differently if they took a longer cruise.

With this in mind, I think Celebrity should offer some quality short cruises with a higher per diem rate as an option for people in the second and third categories, and leave the bargain basement priced cruises to other cruise lines. This way there would be more consistency in the product within Celebrity's fleet and a person trying a short cruise will get a true taste of what a longer Celebrity Cruise is like. There is an old saying that a business is only as good as their weakest link, and I think Celebrity needs to weed out the weak links in their product line to maintain their image.

Wow! I wonder how awesome the Zenith looked to them at that point! Every time I hear about one of these stories where people try to cross the ocean in a rowboat or climb into a wheel well on an airplane and facing almost certain death, I wonder just how bad life would have to be before *I* would do that. Makes you realize how lucky you are.

PS: SOmeone suggested Zenith should be retired....I hope not!!! The problems experienced didn't seem to have much to do with the ship. I was on the Zenith in 2003 and remember it as one of the best ships I've ever been on. I don't like the current trend towards bigger MUST be better and if you're not looking for all that extra stuff it was a lovely ship.

Next winter the Zenith will be 10 plus day cruises-I looked at the prices at cruise.com they are running between $800 and $1200 for an oceanview-the $1200 price is an eelven day Christmas cruise-the 10 day is before Christmas, is $800 a person for an oceanview.

Since my 5 day was $450 a person for an oceanview-I can't see how this is a "cheaper" cruise-say I did two 5 days back to back-that would be $900 by my math where as I could do a 10 day for $800-unless I did the Christmas sailing.

Now I did not see pricing for suites but I would not book a suite for just 2 people anyway. Our daughter is not going with us. The most expensive stater0om we would book for 2 people would be a balcony cabin and ofcourse Zenith does not have balconies.

My point is I do not think this is a cheaper cruise-it si still about the same amount per day for the class of stateroom you get-yes a balcony would go for more but there are no balconies on Zenith.

Now Constellation was more expensive for the oceanviews but that is a newer ship and I would guess more popular-I think this is the same on every line-the newer ships with the nicer extras cost more.

Anyway I am glad Zenith is offering these mini cruises. We wanted to try a new line. We did a cruise in early Oct. so this is our second cruise this year. Normally we do one cruise a year and sometimes we will slip in an extra cruise of a 3 or 4 day cruise. this year we get a 5 day for extra.

I was not happy with my last cruise-it was RCCL Mariner of the Seas, that ship is only 2 years old, but I found the food was not good-except in the pay extra specialty restuarants. On "lobster night" our waiter balked with our table asked for a second lobster. He did bring a couple of extra but he split them between 2 people so none got 2 lobsters. I don't eat lobster. I had the prime rib which was fatty and not good. I did get fillet mignon once but it was in the pay extra specialty restuarant-it ws not offered in the reg. dinningroom.

The ship was also supercrowded-3600 passengers-and MANY children. There was also leaks in the stairwell on the day it rained hard-and this less then a 2 year old ship at the time we were on it.

We paid twice the price for that cruise then for this upcoming cruise for an inside atruim stateroom on that ship-so I figure if I enjoy this cruise half as much as that one I will feel I was treated okay.

Archived