Travelling To Southampton

JB9302

Book train tickets as soon as they are relased, about 12 weeks before departure and you could pay £150 for two first class returns with the £30 railcard, the £60 saved can pay towards the hotel night!

If you aren't likely to use the train before travelling to Southampton book the tickets for a railcard fare (you only need the card when travelling, not to buy the tickets) but wait until a few weeks before travel before buying it so you don't waste validity time.

Jurys used to do a cruise package which included the taxi to the hotel then the taxi to the port,it is worth asking to see if they still do that package.

The Premier Inn is just a few minutes walk from the airport and so is the train station.

The Premier Inn is nice enough and well sound insulated so you will get a good nights sleep. Make sure to book a dining time at the Premier Inn as most people who stay there eat there as there is nothing else close by (except on the land side of the small airport). They also have a small lounge area so you can have a drink and people watch if you want.

I think that only one taxi company is allowed into the airport and they have a desk just to the left of the door of the main terminal. (The taxi driver on the way back told us that other companies can drop off but they are not allowed to pick up). The taxis get busy but you can pre-book and fix the price and they will come round to the Premier Inn and get you, just pop in the evening you arrive and arrange it for the next day. The last time we did it it 2 years ago it was about £25 to the Port if my memory is correct.

As a local, I'd advise people not to use the airport taxi service as the set fares are more expensive than what you would pay in either one of the local hackneys or private hire cars.

You could get an ordinary taxi from the rank outside Southampton Airport Parkway train station or just phone one from the hotel.

Biggest local company is Radio Taxis on 02380 666666 but there are plenty of others. 👍

Decided to cancel the hotel booking at Southampton Airport and booked Jury's in city centre again as more scope for killing time than at the airport .

Let me know if you want any suggestions / advice about what you can find near your hotel.

As a local, I'd advise people not to use the airport taxi service as the set fares are more expensive than what you would pay in either one of the local hackneys or private hire cars.

You could get an ordinary taxi from the rank outside Southampton Airport Parkway train station or just phone one from the hotel.

Biggest local company is Radio Taxis on 02380 666666 but there are plenty of others. 👍

This is the company we use and they are very reliable and fair pricing especially when leaving ship to go back to airport i ring them when going through departures and they ring or text you when they are outside terminal.

Some useful info on here - I'm getting the train and staying at the West Quay Premier Inn when I cruise in September. Any locals know of good ways to kill time round there?

Agree about trying to get a railcard of some kind then booking early - I have a Disabled Persons Railcard and through booking early and being willing to change trains got my return for £36!

Some useful info on here - I'm getting the train and staying at the West Quay Premier Inn when I cruise in September. Any locals know of good ways to kill time round there?

Agree about trying to get a railcard of some kind then booking early - I have a Disabled Persons Railcard and through booking early and being willing to change trains got my return for £36!

You couldn't have chosen a better hotel, as far as being close to things to do.

You are literally next to the main West Quay shopping centre, which has been upgraded and expanded since December with an additional section devoted to restaurants and entertrainment (big cinema and bowling). You can check their internet site to see what's there.

You are right in the heart of the city centre there though too, so if you have a look at the Visit Southampton website you can easily get to anything that is central. There's a fair bit to do, including the Sea City museum (about the Titanic and Southampton's history), free city art gallery, Tudor House museum. The furthest of these from your hotel would only be a 15min or so walk.

That's useful information, thanks! I'll keep a note of the number for again. We have tended to use the fixed price as we once got caught in a traffic jam and we were extremely glad that the meter was not running but hopefully lightening would not strike twice.