Travelling To Southampton

JB9302

We have booked cruise N811 for May 2018 , traveling down the day before and booked into Premier Inn at Southampton Airport for the night (gives us the choice of train or plane from Manchester) .

I know its a long way off but just wondering if anyone has used the train/plane to Southampton Airport and can comment on the distance/ease from train station/airport terminal to the Premier Inn ?

We will be travelling from M/C (Piccadilly or Ringway) , last month we caught the train down to Southampton Central for a total cost of £240 return 1st class (2 passengers) , not sure how that would compare to a return flight .

Thanks

Southampton Central train station is actually about 10 minutes' walk from the Premier Inn West Quay, though if you have heavy cases you may want a taxi; plenty available.

If you fly, you can choose to travel by taxi which is quite expensive; you fill in a form and pre-pay at the airport desk and wait usually about 10 minutes for your taxi to collect you. Or you can take the train (about 6 minutes, and frequent service) to the Central Station.

If you use the Baggage Handling Company you would only have hand luggage with you so travel would be easy. I'm flying from Newcastle the day before my next cruise and intend getting a train to Central Station and walking to the Premier Inn where I'm booked to stay.

Thanks for reply , just to make it clear I have booked the Premier Inn at the airport and the train stops there as well , so would just need a taxi from there next day to the cruise terminal .

The premier inn that you have booked is right at the end of the road to the airport. How I know this is, I turned left instead of right out of the premier inn to go to the cruise terminal and drove to end of road and it was the airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is travelling down by car not an option?

We always travel down from the other side of the pennines by car the day before and often stay at the airport Premier Inn, it is then an easy 15-20 minute journey by car to the port where we use either CPS or parking4cruises valet parking.

If the car is not an option then the premier inn is walking distance from the airport, not certain where the train station is however.

Hi

Just so you are aware there isn't much to do near the airport. May be get the train to Winchester, certainly worth a visit if you have time. A taxi to the docks will probably cost £25-£30.

Cathy

Thanks for the replies , terrierjohn mentioned to the missus about driving down day before and parking as you describe but she is not keen on that (and she won't be driving):) , looks like the train station for the airport is more or less opposite the terminal building .

The Premier Inn is just a few minutes walk from the airport and so is the train station.

The Premier Inn is nice enough and well sound insulated so you will get a good nights sleep. Make sure to book a dining time at the Premier Inn as most people who stay there eat there as there is nothing else close by (except on the land side of the small airport). They also have a small lounge area so you can have a drink and people watch if you want.

I think that only one taxi company is allowed into the airport and they have a desk just to the left of the door of the main terminal. (The taxi driver on the way back told us that other companies can drop off but they are not allowed to pick up). The taxis get busy but you can pre-book and fix the price and they will come round to the Premier Inn and get you, just pop in the evening you arrive and arrange it for the next day. The last time we did it it 2 years ago it was about £25 to the Port if my memory is correct.

The Premier Inn is just a few minutes walk from the airport and so is the train station.

The Premier Inn is nice enough and well sound insulated so you will get a good nights sleep. Make sure to book a dining time at the Premier Inn as most people who stay there eat there as there is nothing else close by (except on the land side of the small airport). They also have a small lounge area so you can have a drink and people watch if you want.

I think that only one taxi company is allowed into the airport and they have a desk just to the left of the door of the main terminal. (The taxi driver on the way back told us that other companies can drop off but they are not allowed to pick up). The taxis get busy but you can pre-book and fix the price and they will come round to the Premier Inn and get you, just pop in the evening you arrive and arrange it for the next day. The last time we did it it 2 years ago it was about £25

to the Port if my memory is correct.

All good info thanks :)

Hi

Just so you are aware there isn't much to do near the airport. May be get the train to Winchester, certainly worth a visit if you have time. A taxi to the docks will probably cost £25-£30.

Cathy[/quote

Thats a good point , not thought about waiting time , might have a rethink and book hotel in Southampton centre , we stopped at Jury's last month and found it easy to kill 3/4 hrs in the town before we left for the cruise terminal .

We have flown many tomes from Scotland to Southampton, taken a taxi (£16) from the airport to West Quat and stayed either in Premier Inn (next door to P&O) or Travelodge. Both are perfectly adequate for the job. Both are close to the town centre in which you can wander and pass time until boarding, which is a five-minute taxi ride away. You can also get what you have forgotten to pack, or your tonics for your cabin bottle of gin! There's nothing to do at the airport

We have booked an overnight room again at Travelodge for £46 in July. Breakfast is extra, but there are lots of places to go for a coffee and a bacon roll. Being close to the dock early can be a comfort: little chance of being stuck miles away.

We have booked cruise N811 for May 2018 , traveling down the day before and booked into Premier Inn at Southampton Airport for the night (gives us the choice of train or plane from Manchester) .

I know its a long way off but just wondering if anyone has used the train/plane to Southampton Airport and can comment on the distance/ease from train station/airport terminal to the Premier Inn ?

We will be travelling from M/C (Piccadilly or Ringway) , last month we caught the train down to Southampton Central for a total cost of £240 return 1st class (2 passengers) , not sure how that would compare to a return flight .

Thanks

It is only 5 minutes walk from train station and airport

Thanks

There is a train station at Southampton airport so get off here if you are staying in the Airport Premier Inn and it is a few hundred yards about 5 minutes walk away.

There is a train station at Southampton airport so get off here if you are staying in the Airport Premier Inn and it is a few hundred yards about 5 minutes walk away.

The hotel has the number of a local taxi company who are excellent,get their card off the driver for your return to airport and ring them when collecting your luggage as they only charge around £15 and they will pick you up outside whereas the taxis outside the cruise terminal charge twice the price or more.

We have used flybe from Manchester to Southampton on several occasions and have had issues on 4 out of 5 trips (one was just a return after a TA). I don't know how prices will compare with the train, but time wise obviously flying is faster (well as long as they can close the aircraft door, or don't have to borrow a part from the plane parked next to you :) which caused heavy delays). But then again you have to consider the time you need to spend at the airport before the actual flight to check in a clear security.

However, unlike a full scheduled airline, the flight timetable will not be available yet for May 2018. Current timetable goes to March 2018.

Although faster than the train, we find the flight very uncomfortable for the price. Depending on the fare purchased you will have to pay for checked baggage which can add up. For example taking a midday flight to Southampton and a mid afternoon return with 46kgs of checked baggage in March 2018 will cost £241 per person. With just 23kgs it's still £191 pp. That doesn't include choosing your seats!

We will be using the train next time, but via London as we find the 4+ hours on a Cross Country service tedious.

Edited by peteukmcr

We have used flybe from Manchester to Southampton on several occasions and have had issues on 4 out of 5 trips (one was just a return after a TA). I don't know how prices will compare with the train, but time wise obviously flying is faster (well as long as they can close the aircraft door, or don't have to borrow a part from the plane parked next to you :) which caused heavy delays). But then again you have to consider the time you need to spend at the airport before the actual flight to check in a clear security.

However, unlike a full scheduled airline, the flight timetable will not be available yet for May 2018. Current timetable goes to March 2018.

Although faster than the train, we find the flight very uncomfortable for the price. Depending on the fare purchased you will have to pay for checked baggage which can add up. For example taking a midday flight to Southampton and a mid afternoon return with 46kgs of checked baggage in March 2018 will cost £241 per person. With just 23kgs it's still £191 pp. That doesn't include choosing your seats!

We will be using the train next time, but via London as we find the 4+ hours on a Cross Country service tedious.

Thanks for the feedback re the flights pete , I am leaning towards going on the train again , accept its 4 hrs plus but felt quite relaxed in the 1st class carriage (£240 all in) .

Decided to cancel the hotel booking at Southampton Airport and booked Jury's in city centre again as more scope for killing time than at the airport .

We have stayed at Jurys several times.It is on a gig roundabout surrounded by a main road but well​ soundproofed.

You can go out main entrance cross the road and walk diagonally across a nice park into the town centre.

We have stayed at Jurys several times.It is on a gig roundabout surrounded by a main road but well​ soundproofed.

You can go out main entrance cross the road and walk diagonally across a nice park into the town centre.

Big roundabout.

Book train tickets as soon as they are relased, about 12 weeks before departure and you could pay £150 for two first class returns with the £30 railcard, the £60 saved can pay towards the hotel night!

If you aren't likely to use the train before travelling to Southampton book the tickets for a railcard fare (you only need the card when travelling, not to buy the tickets) but wait until a few weeks before travel before buying it so you don't waste validity time.