Flip Flops on casual nights

mommag3boys

Since they dumped the tablecloths it's Applebee's anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good Lord, I wish Carnival would turn one of the main dining rooms into a Chilis or Applebees, and let the other one be traditional cruise dining.

Boy this topic again. Cracks me up. Some of you should scrape your pennies together and just cruise Regency or some other luxury line if you want to wear your tuxedos and fancy-smancy dresses every night. Each person is going to have his or her own perception of what "formal" is dependent on their personal lifestyle and background. The dress code is a guideline. Unless Carnival starts handing out uniforms before dinner, people are never going to be "On the same page" in terms of what they wear....and who wants to be?? As long as you are clean and don't smell (hygiene issues) you should be fine. As mentioned by others, I am too involved with my family to be involved with what you are wearing. My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I believe it is fancy-schmancy

While it is vague in some places (failure to define dress shirt, no "flip flops" instead of "men - no open toed shoes", etc.) and it is not really enforced, it is not a guideline as it does have specific restrictions and requirements.

My cruise, my money, my feet, and my vacation. If other guests have a problem with my shoes, then it is exactly that......Their Problem.

Life is too stinking short, to make flip flops an issue.

My, My, My, My, My

On a ship with 3000 other people, but it's YOUR vacation

Entitlement defined [emoji849]

I don't think it's just the tablecloth, but the whole atmosphere. Remove table cloths, put a pitcher of water on the table, and pour it yourself, but a basket of bread, reduce the number of waiters, change the menu to basic foods all contributed to the Applebee's comment. Next it's going to be just another buffet or maybe a partial buffet, like order your main dish, than go get your own salad etc. Don't be surprised.

It has to be something else. I've eaten at plenty of fine dining restaurants that do not have table cloths. One had tables that were made of Italian marble, why would you cover that. FYI. I have been in fine dining restaurants in jeans. Jeans and a sport coat come to think of it.

It has to be something else. I've eaten at plenty of fine dining restaurants that do not have table cloths. One had tables that were made of Italian marble, why would you cover that. FYI. I have been in fine dining restaurants in jeans. Jeans and a sport coat come to think of it.

Soon you will know that the quoted poster finds fault with anything on Carnival

The OP asked about flip-flops on casual nights, so sadly any discussion about tablecloths should be excluded (personally, I'm a fan of keeping tablecloths, too). I don't look at people's feet. So flip-flops on casual nights would get past me, but I understand that some cruisers will complain. As for me, I wouldn't complain, but would deal aggressively with transgressions that are more obvious, like baseball hats and tank-tops, only if they were accompanied by a loud/aggressive attitude. In which case "keel-hauling from bow to stern" is too good for them.

Edited by IntrepidFromDC

I'm not a fashionista by any means, but I read, just a few days ago, that Adidas and nike flip-flop/sandals are VERY out this year (I think the source was CNN). If you don't care about that, more power to you, but if you do and you hadn't heard, succumb to the prevailing fashion pressure or flame away! :D

I agree. At least go with something like this. These range from 50-75USD. They look better, give you support, and can actually look nice if you dress like the guy underneath.

rainbow-sierra-wide-strap-ladies_1.jpg

anf_115512_01_model1?$categoryOFP-anf-tall$

anf_144618_01_model1?$product-anf-v1$&wid=350&hei=438

I agree. At least go with something like this. These range from 50-75USD. They look better, give you support, and can actually look nice if you dress like the guy underneath.

rainbow-sierra-wide-strap-ladies_1.jpg

anf_115512_01_model1?$categoryOFP-anf-tall$

anf_144618_01_model1?$product-anf-v1$&wid=350&hei=438

You mean "dress" like the guy underneath (above actually) or "look" like the guy underneath. I can dress like him all week long but it wouldn't help in my case. :(

You mean "dress" like the guy underneath (above actually) or "look" like the guy underneath. I can dress like him all week long but it wouldn't help in my case. :(

lol, I am just saying that flip flops can work with button ups....unlike the nike ones

I've said it before and I will say it again, a table cloth does not add to or detract from the taste of anything.

I didn't even notice the tables didn't have tablecloths until after my cruise and I read it on Cruise Critic. Like a lot of things, I suspect its a Cruise Critic problem, not a Carnival problem. Just my .02. :)

I didn't even notice the tables didn't have tablecloths until after my cruise and I read it on Cruise Critic. Like a lot of things, I suspect its a Cruise Critic problem, not a Carnival problem. Just my .02. :)

I would wager you are correct.

The OP asked about flip-flops on casual nights, so sadly any discussion about tablecloths should be excluded (personally, I'm a fan of keeping tablecloths, too).

Sorry, couldn't help but laugh. You said any discussion about tablecloths should be excluded...then you proceeded to offer your 2 cents about tablecloths.

So i always wonder..if someone sneezes on the table cloth and they do not change between early and late..could it spread a virus? I doubt shoes or flipflops aka thongs do.

Maybe Carnival should put pictures of what they consider flip flops so we can all be clear and follow the rules:) Kidding of course. My first couple cruises I wore high heals on elegant night with my nice dress.....then I grew up and realized my feet suffering were not worth it. Now I wear "fancy flip flops" on elegant nights (and my less fancy on every other night). I'm also someone who changes out of my "lounging pants" and puts on my "fancy yoga pants" to run errands!!

As for the person who said entitlement at its best for saying "it's my vacation" I have to disagree. Unless they are treating others unkind or being rude to the workers they can wear anything they want on "their" vacation because they worked hard for it. I would take a ship full of flip flop wearing people who have no fashion sense then rude, unkind people.

My son has autism and he HATES the color purple......I would never expect them to ban purple because he thinks it's tacky, ugly and hard to look at. He is 7 and understands already that he just has to look away.

Wear your flip flops, enjoy your vacation, make friends, be understanding and be kind!!!

Maybe Carnival should put pictures of what they consider flip flops so we can all be clear and follow the rules:) Kidding of course. My first couple cruises I wore high heals on elegant night with my nice dress.....then I grew up and realized my feet suffering were not worth it. Now I wear "fancy flip flops" on elegant nights (and my less fancy on every other night). I'm also someone who changes out of my "lounging pants" and puts on my "fancy yoga pants" to run errands!!

As for the person who said entitlement at its best for saying "it's my vacation" I have to disagree. Unless they are treating others unkind or being rude to the workers they can wear anything they want on "their" vacation because they worked hard for it. I would take a ship full of flip flop wearing people who have no fashion sense then rude, unkind people.

My son has autism and he HATES the color purple......I would never expect them to ban purple because he thinks it's tacky, ugly and hard to look at. He is 7 and understands already that he just has to look away.

Wear your flip flops, enjoy your vacation, make friends, be understanding and be kind!!!

Pictures would solve everything.

Agreed with the highlighted. With that being said, this really isn't that big of a deal. flip flops or not, it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. People fighting over the dumbest stuff...lol

I never claimed people can't wear flip flops on vacation. If you read my post I was responding to a poster who said it's MY vacation and I can wear whatever I want in the MDR....So my question to you is a certain rule says one thing, if you don't agree you can just break the rule, because you don't want to follow it? If so, then yes, I consider that entitlement

Edited by First and Ten

So i always wonder..if someone sneezes on the table cloth and they do not change between early and late..could it spread a virus? I doubt shoes or flipflops aka thongs do.

It depends on the cause for the sneeze, and when in the first seating the sneeze occurs. I have an allergic reaction to garlic and sneeze my head off. That would not be contagious. Colds and other viruses can be contagious on hard surfaces for up to 6 hours. However they are contagious for 30 to 45 minutes on tissues, clothing, and table cloths. So if you sneezed during appetizers, the second seating would be safe. If you sneezed during dessert towards the end of the first seating, and the second seating people sat down early in their seating, you might be spreading germs. Of course they would have to rub the table cloth and then their face.

If someone sneezed on their flip flop, then used it to save a pool chair, and you moved immediately after seeing them walk off, then you might get sick.

It depends on the cause for the sneeze, and when in the first seating the sneeze occurs. I have an allergic reaction to garlic and sneeze my head off. That would not be contagious. Colds and other viruses can be contagious on hard surfaces for up to 6 hours. However they are contagious for 30 to 45 minutes on tissues, clothing, and table cloths. So if you sneezed during appetizers, the second seating would be safe. If you sneezed during dessert towards the end of the first seating, and the second seating people sat down early in their seating, you might be spreading germs. Of course they would have to rub the table cloth and then their face.

If someone sneezed on their flip flop, then used it to save a pool chair, and you moved immediately after seeing them walk off, then you might get sick.

What if they sneezed in my mouth?

Maybe Carnival should put pictures of what they consider flip flops so we can all be clear and follow the rules

I'm also someone who changes out of my "lounging pants" and puts on my "fancy yoga pants" to run errands!!

My son has autism and he HATES the color purple.

1. I know you are kidding, but their dress code is vague, and nowhere near routinely enforced. Makes things so much harder than it needs to be.

2. What makes a pair of yoga pants "fancy" their attitude?

3. My wife is a special ed teacher, it is always amazing to me the ways in which autism can present. I'm sure you have read the articles about synesthesia in people with autism and how their other senses can perceive color.

1. I know you are kidding, but their dress code is vague, and nowhere near routinely enforced. Makes things so much harder than it needs to be.

2. What makes a pair of yoga pants "fancy" their attitude?

3. My wife is a special ed teacher, it is always amazing to me the ways in which autism can present. I'm sure you have read the articles about synesthesia in people with autism and how their other senses can perceive color.

My Nike track pants are my lounging pants and my black yoga pants are my "gotta hit the grocery store" pants:)

I don't think pictures would be bad at all. Flip flops are vague....they make some nice fancy ones now that are cute and comfy!!

I have read the studies, they are amazing and confusing to me. I'm thankful it's just purple but it is overwhelming to him. But he works through it, knows to look away and worse worse case puts on sunglasses.

I don't think people wear flip flops to "break the rules..... I think what some consider flip flops others consider sandals. If they didn't want either they would say "closed toe shoes only".