Brought Back: Amex Offer: Spend $500 on Booking, Get $100 Credit

The offer doesn't show up for everyone, nor do all offers show up on all cards. Usually the "pure" personal cards (Green, Gold, Platinum & Black) get the same offers as the affinity cards (Hilton, etc.) The business cards often get different offers.

When you log in to American Express' site, you will see the offers at the bottom of the main control panel page. If you have multiple cards, clicking on them will toggle the offers. Just be careful where you attach the offer. Once you attach it to a card, it won't be available on the others.

Yippee! This offer showed up on one of our blue cards for the 2nd time in the last few months. The first time, we used it to make a payment directly with HAL and got the $100 credit, even though the cruise had been booked before the offer started and booked through a TA. Today, we used it for another payment on the same cruise, and again got the $100 credit.

The trick is to call HAL directly (not the TA) and make the payment using the card. Apparently when the charge goes to AX from HAL it does not indicate if it is a new booking or payment on a cruise already booked. So far, we have received $200 off on the same cruise!

Reading these posts, we learned that the offer may also be good on our other AX card (husband and wife cards). We looked, and sure enough it was! So we are going to try making another payment using that card as well and see if we get a third $100 off. Wish we had known about the second card offer the first time around.

Will post in a few days and let you know if we got the third $100. Hooray for fellow cruisers on these boards! Thanks everyone for your help!!

We did not find the need to call HAL directly. Last week we made final payment to our online travel agent for an October Holland cruise. We had booked the cruise months ago with this agent so it was not a new booking. We split the payment between my Amex Blue Card and my husband's (same account, different card holders). Within 24 hours, we received messages saying that the offer had been redeemed and if requirements were met, the rebate would be credited. It took about 3 additional days for the credit to be posted--$100 for my card and $100 for my husband's.

Glad that worked for you; however, when the TA makes the charge to AX it must show up as coming from HAL rather than the TA. If it doesn't, no credit will be given. Did not want to take that chance, and that's why I called HAL directly. Good to know both husband's and wife's cards were accepted. Believe it will work for us too.

" when the TA makes the charge to AX it must show up as coming from HAL rather than the TA. If it doesn't, no credit will be given."

That's a good point to consider. Our charges, even though made through our online travel agent, always show as being billed by Holland; maybe other travel agents do it differently? I guess you could always ask the travel agent how the charge will appear on your statement before making payment.

" when the TA makes the charge to AX it must show up as coming from HAL rather than the TA. If it doesn't, no credit will be given."

That's a good point to consider. Our charges, even though made through our online travel agent, always show as being billed by Holland; maybe other travel agents do it differently? I guess you could always ask the travel agent how the charge will appear on your statement before making payment.

Yes, with some travel agencies when you pay for your travel (e.g. cruise), the payment goes to the agency who, in turn, then pays the carrier (cruise line) on your behalf from their funds. In that case, your credit card charge would be with the travel agency and not the cruise line and therefore not register with Amex as a valid for this offer. Your suggestion to ask the TA this question is prudent, unless you've dealt with them before and know how they handle carrier payments.

Glad that worked for you; however, when the TA makes the charge to AX it must show up as coming from HAL rather than the TA. If it doesn't, no credit will be given. Did not want to take that chance, and that's why I called HAL directly. Good to know both husband's and wife's cards were accepted. Believe it will work for us too.

On the previous go around with this offer, I called my online TA who assured me that any payments I made through them would go directly to HAL from my AMEX account, not into a TA account and then form them to HAL. I had her call in my payment directly to HAL from my card anyway, since I already had her on the phone. I wanted to put DH's payment on our next billing cycle which was only a few days away, so I decided to try DH's payment from the TA's website and see what happened. If it didn't work, I figured I could always call in another payment to get the credit, as we still had a large balance we were going to have to pay anyway. However, no problem! Worked exactly as the TA said it would. :D

I would definitely check with any TA you might be using to be sure how their payments are processed. I am planning to use my card this time around on our Princess cruise, but we used a different TA for this one. I do not know how their payments are processed, so I have to get in touch with him to find out before I make my payment. Once again, I'm waiting for our next billing cycle so I can spread our payments out.

If you want to use the offer on both cards, be sure you have each card registered online with it's own separate login and email, and that you have added the offer to both accounts.

• 4 weeks later...
It's being reported on other CC forums that the web site link to add this offer to your card (if it's not there already) appears to be working for them. Those here that did not find it on their Amex card(s) may want to try this and see if they can make the offer available to their card now:

www.americanexpress.com/wlcl

Oh my gosh, thank you! Had tried it upon release with no luck. It just worked

It's being reported on other CC forums that the web site link to add this offer to your card (if it's not there already) appears to be working for them. Those here that did not find it on their Amex card(s) may want to try this and see if they can make the offer available to their card now:

This worked for me today on all 3 of our starwood amex cards, so a big thank you!

Previously, i've never been served this offer, and the old links never worked for me, so i'm very happy to see it work this time! My only problem now is that we've already paid for our upcoming cruise in full... and so now i guess i just "have" to book another before the 12/31 deadline! :)

INCREDIBLE! Thank you for posting this! I never receive this offer on my Hilton AMEX but this link worked. :)

INCREDIBLE! Thank you for posting this! I never receive this offer on my Hilton AMEX but this link worked. :)

You are quite welcome! I'm starting to think Amex opened up that link after getting lots of calls from cardmembers that had used it the last time this offer was out there and complaining they couldn't this time.

But earlier in this thread or in other related threads some posters have relayed that as long as it's a $500 or more charge from the cruise line itself the cashback is given without regard to when the booking was made.

I wonder if I purchased $500 of onboard credit for my upcoming cruise whether this would apply, given that it's a charge from HAL itself? My cruise is already paid in full. :(

I wonder if I purchased $500 of onboard credit for my upcoming cruise whether this would apply, given that it's a charge from HAL itself? My cruise is already paid in full. :(

I made a payment, not a new cruise booking. It did work for me. Not a definite answer, but the OBC would be refundable to you at the end of the cruise if you didn't need it.

That's a good question - it really depends on how the charge comes through from HAL to Amex. If the charge description is "Holland America Line Res" or something very similar, I think it would work. I know that people on another CC forum have reported that they have tried to use the offer to pre-buy on-board stuff (from the shops) or excursions but did not get the credit.