Bus from port to Civitavecchia train station

little britain

Since the port moved its entrance much further from the port, I've been hoping someone would step up and fill this need.

Thank you so much for sharing the good news.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The sign says "cruise terminal". Are the buses actually coming to the cruise terminal or just to the port entrance?

This service runs between the railway station and the port bus stop. What they call "cruise terminal" is the terminal where the port bus stops at Largo della Pace, it is not where the ships berth. You still have to get the free port bus to whichever ship you are boarding.

This service runs between the railway station and the port bus stop. What they call "cruise terminal" is the terminal where the port bus stops at Largo della Pace, it is not where the ships berth. You still have to get the free port bus to whichever ship you are boarding.

I had a feeling that was the case.

So much speculation...so little facts :). Lets try to clear it up, and if I err....Euro Cruiser (who always gets my utmost respect) will likely jump in and fix my errors. There are no buses that run directly from the cruise ships to the train station! There are free internal port shuttle buses (and they are pretty nice coaches) that run between all the ships and the relatively new port transfer stop which (as has been said) is at the Largo Della Pace. All the transfers between the ships and this transfer point are free....regardless of which line you cruise. The service is provided by the Port...not the cruise lines. Once you are at this transfer point (which is actually outside the port) you have a few options. You can simply walk off into the sunset (or sunrise)...or perhaps walk to the train station (I think its about 1 mile). Of you can take the paid bus (run by the local bus company) that shuttles between that transfer point (Largo Della Pace) and the Civitavecchia train station. At the transfer station there is a ticket window where you buy tickets for the bus (I think its about 2 Euros). If you catch the bus from the train station to the transfer station (it loads right across the street from the station) you will need to have a bus ticket. They also sell those tickets at the train station (I do not remember the exact location...but its easy to spot). If you go to the bus without a ticket...you will have to go back to the station to get a ticket (we know this..because we did it). And that is the story of the buses.

There is another way in or out of the port...but it does involve lots of walking (the distance depends on your docking location). It is possible to walk between the old main port entrance/exit (located by the old fortress) and your ship. There are internal walkways (they are marked) within the port. If you do walk, once you get out of the port it is about 4-5 blocks to the train station. And it is possible for taxis and authorized car services to get in and out of the port. But you will generally not find a taxi willing to take you from your pier to the train station.

Hope this clears any doubts or questions.

Hank

P.S. I write this based on my own experience last year. It is always possible that the Port will change this entire scheme at any time (after all, it is Italy). But we would make an educated guess that this is the way it shall be for the foreseeable future.

Hank,

well said! Nothing to add.

This photo advertises the second bus from Largo della Pace to the train station which is 2 Euro. It´s 20 min walking to the train station (yes, I´ve done it and checked the time).

f0693c4e12c8001d878c381abd96adcb.jpg

And this is a shot of the parking lot at Largo della Pace where the free port shuttles all end up. There´s a tourist information there (you see the tent structure). They have city maps of Civitavecchia outside the tourist information for take away too. You don´t see the whole area of the former parking lot which is now used by the shuttle busses but it´s to the right side of the tent (view blocked by the building).

c8944771be4bbdf9d199293395e57a0e.jpg

steamboats

As an aside, if you're staying in Civitavecchia the night before the cruise and want to position yourself close to the free port shuttle bus transfer point to embark the next day, we stayed at Hotel Traghetto that is literally around the corner. You can relax a bit... you're already there.:)

From that location, we also walked to an ATM at BNL Bank (Scotiabank Alliance, no international withdrawal fee if a Canadian Scotiabank customer) to stock up on Euros before sailing. It's on Largo Cavour 13-Via Doria 5, one street over on the left from Via Traiana that runs perpendicular to the fort.

• 1 year later...