West Coast plans?

CruisingUS

I do not think they will come to the WestCoast...

We live in California & find tremendous deals because they have trouble filling a lot of the ships that are here.

We have sailed for decades & some cruise lines have pulled out completely. Mostly because of trouble in Mexico.

As far as Hawaii...fairly locked up now by princess out of San Francisco. We are on their 'standby' list and always get offers.

As far as Alaska...way to many ships there now. We sail there every year.Gone are the days where you were the only ship in port. Now there are usually at least 4 and they are bigger ships than along time ago. The towns there are VERY small. We you go into a glacier bay, your time is limited. You used to be there for a whole day. You have to be very careful when booking that you look at the itinerary.

Last year I asked an officer on a Royal Caribbean ship if they would ever come back to the WestCoast. They used to be stationed in Southern California & they were our first cruiseline. He said probably not as their projections showed they would not be able to fill the ships.

I would not count on it any time soon for the reasons Shippy pointed out. Very few cruises from the West coast anymore. Royal and Norwegian used to regularly sail out of California but no more. We did a fantastic 8 night cruise to Mexico (all the way down to Acapulco) but those sailings are long gone. Carnival has two ships doing 4-7 day cruises to Mexico. Celebrity and Princess have the occasional coastal or re-positioning cruise. Just not enough demand. I remember before Royal pulled out that they were discounting at incredible levels just to fill the ship. I recall 7 night cruises going for as little as $299 per person.

I would not count on it any time soon for the reasons Shippy pointed out. Very few cruises from the West coast anymore. Royal and Norwegian used to regularly sail out of California but no more. We did a fantastic 8 night cruise to Mexico (all the way down to Acapulco) but those sailings are long gone. Carnival has two ships doing 4-7 day cruises to Mexico. Celebrity and Princess have the occasional coastal or re-positioning cruise. Just not enough demand. I remember before Royal pulled out that they were discounting at incredible levels just to fill the ship. I recall 7 night cruises going for as little as $299 per person.

WOW....Where was I :')

As I have previously posted we were told at the cruise Critic meet and greet on the Divina in January this year, the Divina is going to be doing Alaska in 2019. And this was from a senior crew member.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I have previously posted we were told at the cruise Critic meet and greet on the Divina in January this year, the Divina is going to be doing Alaska in 2019. And this was from a senior crew member.

Make sense. I understand the next public tender for cruise ships to access the glacier is around that time frame. Alaska cruises are selling well and near capacity for the last few years. Demand and passenger count are definitely up.

WOW....Where was I :')

Even better.....

There was a flash sale 3 weeks before a Holland ship was doing a 7 night Mexican cruise out of San Diego in the beginning of November last year. For $899.pp we got an aft corner suite with a wraparound balcony. We had our choice of almost every deck.

Very sad for the ship....very good for us.

I checked and they have no West Coast this year :O(

If this is indeed true, then it would leave the Seaside as the only MSC ship in FLA for the summer of 2019 if the Divina is going to Alaska and the Meraviglia doesn't cross the pond until the fall of 2019.

That was an announcement from MSC.

I have done an extensive search and have come up with nothing. No one else here on the MSC boards have made this statement either. Can you please provide a link to this information? Thank you.

I have done an extensive search and have come up with nothing. No one else here on the MSC boards have made this statement either. Can you please provide a link to this information? Thank you.

They told us the same last week at the Meet and Mingle. Divina will be sailing from New York. I asked if it was the Bermuda run, Caribbean or New England/Canada, and they said that they thought it would be New England/Canada, at least for some of the time. They did also say that Divina would be doing the 10 day itineraries from Miami through the Panama canal, so maybe they will move her around seasonally, at least for a while.

They told us the same last week at the Meet and Mingle. Divina will be sailing from New York. I asked if it was the Bermuda run, Caribbean or New England/Canada, and they said that they thought it would be New England/Canada, at least for some of the time. They did also say that Divina would be doing the 10 day itineraries from Miami through the Panama canal, so maybe they will move her around seasonally, at least for a while.

Different to what we were told.

Respectively..... three different posters are saying three different things and IMO, it is all "hearsay", guessing and assumptions. The only reason I wanted to know for sure, is because of the order of my booking my next two cruises. Oh, well....I do thank you all though. Just going to have to wait for MSC to make an announcement. :):D:cool:

Respectively..... three different posters are saying three different things and IMO, it is all "hearsay", guessing and assumptions. The only reason I wanted to know for sure, is because of the order of my booking my next two cruises. Oh, well....I do thank you all though. Just going to have to wait for MSC to make an announcement. :):D:cool:

We were told by Andre the Cruise Director at the Meet and Greet re Alaska, 4 other members of this forum were with me when he told us?

We were told by Andre the Cruise Director at the Meet and Greet re Alaska, 4 other members of this forum were with me when he told us?

It's not that I don't believe what you are saying, but another poster claims the same exact thing.....but New York. :o

There are many factors that work against the West Coast. Lets start with the Longshoreman Union....which demands the highest pay (or they strike) and run up the cost of turning around cruise ships. Then there are various CA regulations which for several years increased the cost of any ship operating in or near CA waters. And then you have to figure that the major cruise market is in shorter cruises (10 days or less) which causes a real problem on the West Coast. In the winter, the only place the ships can go is to Mexico...and many North Americans are now afraid to go to Mexico (we do not have this fear and actually live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year). And then we have the PVSA (Passenger Vessels Services Act) which makes it nearly impossible to do cruise along the CA coast.

Now compare this to the East Coast. You have multiple excellent cruise ports, served by convenient airports. The East Coast has a huge population, and is also within reasonable range of Western European folks who routinely fly into MIA to cruise. And then you have a very large selection of destinations that work well for 7 day or longer cruises. And the Bahamas serve the short cruises. And also consider the Caribbean Sea where temps are usually in the upper 70s (and low 80s) year round. And then we have Caribbean islands with a Spanish, Dutch, Cuban, French, and British influence. All this Trumps (pun intended) the West Coast options...in a big way.

Hank