Suite vs. Haven

RebelAthena

Hello all! I'm looking at a 5-day sailing on NCL in February on the Pearl (for my 40th); we are looking for a 2-bedroom stateroom, and, we have found that the Pearl offers a 2-bedroom villa suite and a 2-bedroom villa suite in The Haven.

I see that the regular suite comes with a butler, so would the only difference between the rooms be location, access to Haven amenities, and paying a room-service cover charge? Also, I think we would generally like to dine in our stateroom, but I cannot discern whether table-cloth dining is available in suite for all meals or just certain meals (and whether this option applies only to rooms in the Haven).

I read in another thread that, on port-intensive cruises, the Haven amenities become less important; any thoughts? I was sold on buy the Haven room, but now I'm leaning towards simply booking the standard 2-bedroom villa.

Seems like the same question was here in the last few days.

Anyways - first off,it is not a villa but a 2BR suite or Penthouse. The only villa is the 3BR GardenVilla.

On the Jewel Class ships, like the Pearl, there is a small haven area. If you do a quick search on HAVEN you might see some pictures. It has a small lounge and small pool area that only those suites have access to.

2BR suites elsewhere on the ships are physically the same.

We have done suites a couple of times and maybe did in suite dining once I think - other than snacks and drinks of course. Keep in mind they have to bring the food from somewhere else on the ship. There is no kitchen near the suites or haven. And, of course the "butler"and "helper" also have to deal with other suites. Just did not want to give you the impression you have your own butler. A quick search on 'butler' will help you.

the general consensus seems to be that for the exhorbitant price difference on the smaller ships that the Haven isnt worth it. the perks are the same in a regular suite, just not private courtyard access.

ive never done in room dining other than pizza. i dont like getting all the courses at once and having my entree go cold while i eat my salad. or having my ice cream melt while i eat my entree that's just me.

• Like 1

Seems like the same question was here in the last few days.

Anyways - first off,it is not a villa but a 2BR suite or Penthouse. The only villa is the 3BR GardenVilla.

On the Jewel Class ships, like the Pearl, there is a small haven area. If you do a quick search on HAVEN you might see some pictures. It has a small lounge and small pool area that only those suites have access to.

2BR suites elsewhere on the ships are physically the same.

We have done suites a couple of times and maybe did in suite dining once I think - other than snacks and drinks of course. Keep in mind they have to bring the food from somewhere else on the ship. There is no kitchen near the suites or haven. And, of course the "butler"and "helper" also have to deal with other suites. Just did not want to give you the impression you have your own butler. A quick search on 'butler' will help you.

Thanks so much for your helpful reply; I'm sorry that you seemed to have had to repeat yourself.

I think you'll find that I referenced the room in the same manner as it is listed with NCL, "The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony." The room is, in fact, listed as a villa. And, no, I was under no misapprehension that any service worker would be exclusive to our room.

• Like 1

Yes, the only difference is location (and access to the Haven pool and courtyard). Butler and Concierge services are the same as are all suite amenities, including no service charge for room service (which is provided by your Butler). The room size, layout, and furnishings are also the same as the 2 BR suite in the Haven.

We only had breakfast served in our 2 BR non-Haven suites on Jewel-class ships, but yes, the Butler does set everything up with a tablecloth. I don't know if courses would be spaced out for dinner, but I would guess not since that would entail multiple trips to the kitchen which seems like a problem due to the distance.

Breakfast and lunch in Cagney's is a great perk, and you will have a bit of a hike to get there compared to the Haven suites which are just an elevator ride away. But the significant cost difference between the Haven and non-Haven suites on this class of ship is not worth it in my opinion, especially for a 5 day cruise. Go for the non-Haven suite.

• Like 1

I see that the regular suite comes with a butler, so would the only difference between the rooms be location, access to Haven amenities, and paying a room-service cover charge? Also, I think we would generally like to dine in our stateroom, but I cannot discern whether table-cloth dining is available in suite for all meals or just certain meals (and whether this option applies only to rooms in the Haven).

I read in another thread that, on port-intensive cruises, the Haven amenities become less important; any thoughts? I was sold on buy the Haven room, but now I'm leaning towards simply booking the standard 2-bedroom villa.

The only difference is access to the [very small] Havens courtyard and sundeck. Everything else is exactly the same.

On early port days, we always order breakfast in our room. There are the standard room service cards with check boxes for items. Disregard the checkboxes and order what ever you want from the MDR or Suites restaurant menus.

Eggs over easy, filet steak, bacon, ham, sausage, egg white omelet, mushrooms, grilled tomato, hash browns, breakfast potatoes, breads, fresh fruit, juices, and a diet pepsi.

febcaa7ee50b37f18e20e819180f49eb.jpg

Save money. Book the suite.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your helpful reply; I'm sorry that you seemed to have had to repeat yourself.

I think you'll find that I referenced the room in the same manner as it is listed with NCL, "The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony." The room is, in fact, listed as a villa. And, no, I was under no misapprehension that any service worker would be exclusive to our room.

No problem that I repeated. Just trying to help.

As to the VILLA note... that explains something. Do not remember NCL using that term in the past. Thanks.

As to exclusive... did not think you thought it was exclusive. Just pointing out some folks have had issues in the past since service was not like in the dining room due to limited staff and distances on the ship.

I agree with everyone else. The difference in price does not justify the Haven on this class ship. We have had access to the Haven on every cruise we have sailed and I have never had a meal in the courtyard area on the Jewel class ship or used the hot tubs. I see it empty a lot more than I see it being used.

I'll be the opposite. We love the smaller haven. Many dont use it so it's like having it to yourself. I love that I can get in the hot tub only feet from my room. I love having a place to sit both inside and outside up above that I don't have to fight for or go early to get a spot. it's also so quiet and peaceful and gives another option than our balcony. You can also eat breakfast and lunch in the haven served by the valet. most of our cruises the difference hasn't been much because we choose weeks where the haven is cheaper.

Angela

I agree. I also love the Haven on the Jewel class ships. I find it very peaceful and usually uncrowded. We've enjoyed the pool and hot tub and taken advantage of ordering Cagney's for lunch in the Courtyard.

However, the prices are currently so crazy high that our next trip will be in a regular suite without Haven access. I'm sure we will miss the Haven, but just couldn't justify the outrageous price. I'm sure we'll still have a great cruise!